• Dec 16th, 2012 9:51 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
2042 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa
Culzac Heating wrote: High efficiency furnaces can be vented up a chimney. It depends on the height and according to manufacturers specs.
If you run the exhaust to chimney could you use just the 686 white pipe or in addition a special liner is needed??

Which furnace high efficiency (94% ) would provide the longest tun for exhaust??
Mar 13, 2010
1 posts
I just received the installation of a High Efficiency Carrier furnace. I love the furnace, however I believe they improperly installed the venting. While the furnace clearly has the dual vents coming out, the installers joined the 2 pipes into one pipe, just as it exits to the outside. If I'm not mistaken, they should have 2 separate pipes exiting the home...one for fresh air and another for "bad air". Any thoughts?
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
mnwirges wrote: Ithe installers joined the 2 pipes into one pipe, just as it exits to the outside. If I'm not mistaken, they should have 2 separate pipes exiting the home...one for fresh air and another for "bad air". Any thoughts?
Sounds like a concentric vent. http://www.bcexpressinc.net/pdfs/lp-166.pdf
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1275 posts
231 upvotes
Brampton
oisegrad wrote: My neighbour just installed a high efficiency furnace on my lot line and pointed it right at my brick wall. I have a small walkway between the wall and his exhaust. We then had the technician, who said "this is to code" back who turned it 45 degrees to blow towards the front of the houses but this is not good either as we have to hold our breath to come in the front door. Other than building a fence, what can we do? We shouldn't have to put up with this. Any suggestions? https://www.dropbox.com/s/yllj0elzbg0tj ... 2997.JPG?m
Probably someone here can verify if it is to code or not. Otherwise, if it is, then there is little you can do. "Holding your breath" is a little ridiculous as what you are seeing is mostly water vapour. The fumes of relatively clean burning natural gas vented into an outdoor environment would be harmless provided they are not too close to a building opening.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
venice_it wrote: Probably someone here can verify if it is to code or not. Otherwise, if it is, then there is little you can do. "Holding your breath" is a little ridiculous as what you are seeing is mostly water vapour. The fumes of relatively clean burning natural gas vented into an outdoor environment would be harmless provided they are not too close to a building opening.
I read the whole thread before I realized this is a 2 year old thread. There is quite a lot of mis-information and presumption. There are newer and much more current threads on this forum.
Considering that the the thread initially was more about esthetic placement of the intake and vents vice the benefits of an efficient furnace, it seems quite funny now.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)