• Feb 5th, 2017 10:00 am
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target

High end english tutoring for Mandarin speaker

Hello RFD,

A friend of a friend is having trouble picking up conversational English. Understanding English and written English is good, however they need a solid person to teach them the spoken component.

Budget isn't really an issue but I think 1x1 type of support 2-3 days a week is needed to get this person up to speaking standards. Bonus points if you can get this person to understand sarcasm and general humor. Since they are from mainland China obviously study habits are impeccable but they need a quality motivated English teacher.

Again focused only conversational English. This person understands and writes English getting them over that hump to help them integrate into the six.
Last edited by TravelStarr on Feb 4th, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Autocorrect sucks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
You need a speech therapist. My partner didnt take esl growing up... she took speech therapy. She speaks english without an accent despite coming here when she was 13. I guess it also helped that she actually grew up in a white family on the east coast. Lol.
I think its also bc back then there were hardly any minorities on the east coast... so no established esl programs... just speech therapy. But they taught her to pronounce and speak english in a very canadian way.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
UrbanPoet wrote: You need a speech therapist. My partner didnt take esl growing up... she took speech therapy. She speaks english without an accent despite coming here when she was 13. I guess it also helped that she actually grew up in a white family on the east coast. Lol.
I think its also bc back then there were hardly any minorities on the east coast... so no established esl programs... just speech therapy. But they taught her to pronounce and speak english in a very canadian way.
Mr Poet, thanks for replying, despite my handle I'm as white as it comes, and I'll be helping with the homework/ day to day practical english. Do you have any recommendations for this type speech therapy service?

as long it is in Toronto proper location isn't an issue.

Thanks for replying so quick
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18145 upvotes
ONTARIO
GangStarr wrote: Mr Poet, thanks for replying, despite my handle I'm as white as it comes, and I'll be helping with the homework/ day to day practical english. Do you have any recommendations for this type speech therapy service?

as long it is in Toronto proper location isn't an issue.

Thanks for replying so quick
Nah I don't have any recommendations. But now that you know one method of correcting speech, I'm sure you can find some provider in your area through self research.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
8428 posts
4673 upvotes
Durham
Try pronouncing " BELL " properly. They always say " BEAR ".

It's their tongue getting in the way.

You can always tell the difference between mainland china people and other asians if you ask them to pronounce " BELL ".
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
May 24, 2012
325 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Where are they located/willing to meet? ~How many hours per session? How will payment work?
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
11549 posts
5377 upvotes
Moving target
weirdlogic wrote: Where are they located/willing to meet? ~How many hours per session? How will payment work?
Downtown or Scarborough

If the quality is good I'd say 2 sessions a week 2 hours at time.

Payment would be cash in hand per session. Gentlemens agreement once reasonable expectations discussed and set.
Autocorrect sucks

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)