Students

high school grades for university admission?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 3:25 pm
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON

high school grades for university admission?

Hi all.

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have one simple question - does it matter for university admission what school or program the applicant comes from?

How universities compare applicants from shitty school with great grades to ones from great school with lower grades?

Do programs like IB and AP matter in the admission process?

so I lied, I have 3 questions ;)

Thanks
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6761 posts
975 upvotes
Depends on the University and Program you are trying to get into. Ie. If you trying to get into Top Ranking and their Top Program, they will likely make you jump loops, look at every detail on your background since they likely have thousands of app for every opening they have.

However, if you are just applying to a local uni into a less demand program, they probably just look at your grades but you still need to have the courses required for the program requirements.

IB and AP courses are required for some school / programs, which is why people take them or if the school/program is in high demand, they could very much make a difference.

Anyway, if you are in High School already, you should talk to your counselor to help you plan these things out.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
hdom wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:17 pm
if you are in High School already,
I was in high school looooong time ago. I am choosing a HS for my kid (I am one of those people who plan ahead ;) )
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6761 posts
975 upvotes
I figured that much but didn't want to assume. There is probably someone at yours kids school that you and your kid could talk to as well since they probably know better than you and I. I may even try to ask to meet the counselor at the HS you are interested in to plan it out.
gobseck wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:53 pm
I was in high school looooong time ago. I am choosing a HS for my kid (I am one of those people who plan ahead ;) )
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Thanks. I might try the counselor idea. However, it's amazing how much contradictory info is out there... AMAZING!!! including from the 'pros'.
Aug 16, 2017
9 posts
2 upvotes
Universities don’t care what high school you’re coming from. As long as you meet
or exceed their requirements your chances are good. But it is true that top programs look at things like extra curricular activities, community involvement/supplementary application. And from my experience IB and AP usually don’t matter as the required high school courses for university programs are viewed as the same.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13198 posts
674 upvotes
High school doesn't matter as much as one might think. My wife is a Guidance Head here in Toronto and tells me that despite being at one the top academic schools in Toronto, she has a large number of kids take credits from the the private credit mills. Why? The parents see it as an investment. They may have spent a couple of thousand in the end but their kids are often ending up with significant scholarships (worth far more than the money they put in). It is a game. They even know to take these courses for the harder subjects in advance of when they would take it in the school. They don't want to have a duplicate grade (i.e. both will appear). Once they have the higher credit mill grade, they will take an alternate at the school. And yes, some will use it to redo a course as well.

People will always find ways around the system. Back at Queens (early 90's), to ensure that they had a higher grade for their Medical School application, the "clever" ones would take either Organic Chemistry from the Nursing department - it was easier and didn't have a 30% failure rate or would go to McGill or UofT where they would only provide Pass or Fail...your grades would improve as you didn't have Organic Chemistry to bring it down....