Careers

High School student Jobs?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 1st, 2018 1:17 pm
Aug 26, 2018
1 posts

High School student Jobs?

I recently turned 18 and I want to get my first job but I am not very sure how to go about it? Haha
I do have lots of volunteer experience to put on my resume. I have lots of skill in computer programs like MS Office, Photoshop and all that.
In all honesty, I just want a job with flexible hours (so i can balance it with school) and thats about it.
Last edited by blacknwhite on Sep 2nd, 2018 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7675 posts
10978 upvotes
Scarbs
At your age, any job is fine - fast food, retail, clerical etc. You may not think highly of these jobs, but they build important skills (customer service) and discipline. And this experience makes you competitive when you apply for better jobs later on (i.e. when you graduate from college/university).
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
7863 posts
2841 upvotes
Richmond Hill
data entry, flipping burgers, newspaper route, landscaping, warehouse, merchandizer

at your age, i was a lifeguard/swimming instructor
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2006
9951 posts
2434 upvotes
Toronto
hit up your local mall and hand in resumes. They will start hiring for the 4th quarter soon. I worked at The Gap when I was younger and it was the best job ever. Discount on clothing and hot girls that I still remain friends with till this day.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4937 upvotes
Toronto
I did all kind of summer, temporary works while I was in school and under 20.
Associate at CT (terrible management in that location), Order Packer at Private Member's warehouse, Car washer at an Anti-Rust garage, Bus Boy in an Asian restaurant, plus other tons of jobs referred from job agency who needs people for few days or weeks.

It is not the most rewarding job, but that is the job that there is no politics at work for you, meeting people at your age and also that you know you will be move on later and not struck there as your career.
Enjoy your time there, meet new friends, keep good connection with the boss there, you never know if you will need their referral or reference later on.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 9, 2016
306 posts
104 upvotes
I worked as a pharmacy assistant for 10 years when I was doing schooling. It was extremely flexible since the pharmacy is open late some nights. Try applying to a Shoppers or a Rexall. A lot of people thought you needed a degree or something to get into that position but nope not true. I learnt a ton of knowledge and skills while I was there. Plus it was pretty cool counting the pills and making creams and solutions.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2017
1221 posts
1347 upvotes
Calgary
Accept that it's going to be minimum wage, and focus on flexibility in scheduling and perks - that would be my advice.

I worked at a sports retail store, it was fantastic. We got insane discounts, perfect for someone at that age if you're into sports and need clothes and gear.
Dec 9, 2013
808 posts
805 upvotes
Toronto
Try the local grocery store. I walked across the street (5 mins) from the grocery store I worked at for years while I was in school. They have flexible hours too.