None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15412 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge

Higher Resale Value and Easier to Sell

Between the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Apple iPhone 5 which one has a higher resale value and easier to sell? Does color make a difference?

My boy is asking and I honestly don't know, I want to say Apple but Samsung stepped up and the Galaxy series is very strong.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
17 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2012
2830 posts
938 upvotes
Apple products have always held their price because they never went on sale, and they had a one year product run before becomming obsolete. We all know how that has changed since jobs died. Sad, he was Apple, now apple will slide and slide until the breaking point. Galaxy products dont' hold value, nor will apple, but apple will hold better.
If I have answered your question, Hit THANKS!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3842 posts
334 upvotes
Barrys Bay
With the market currently, they are not as great as they used to be.

Just check the buy sell forums here, alot of 5's and note 2's not moving.

Apple's resell values are very unstable, changes almost every 2 days going rates as demands are not what they used to be for older and newer models.

Samsung just has too many bloody versions out there of each model.....they have saturated the market too much. Some work with wind mobolicty ( which are worth more ),

Reality check 450-550 for either now....if new. Used 400-500.

Current demand is the Nexus 4, but that will change in a week or 2 for blackberry 10's. And then the cycle of 2/3 samsungs hitting the market and then rumoured iphone 5s...
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3215 posts
340 upvotes
I think the note 2... The I5 are still a fairly easy sell
Feb 19, 2010
642 posts
109 upvotes
Their are still idiots on kijiji selling used iphone 5 for retail price! LoL
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21442 posts
1505 upvotes
Aurora
I think the iPhone will hold their value longer than any Samsung phone.

Samsung has too many phones that confuse consumers. iPhones are very straight forward. You know what you're getting and the quality is better than the Samsung. I think there will always be an Apple following, even if the user base is dwindling.

*** Disclaimer ***

The opinion expressed are my own. Take it at face value.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2009
2354 posts
150 upvotes
Brampton
The reason iphones hold their value is because of the abundance of apple fanboys who love apple products but can't afford them at full price. They'll take any discount they can take. supply vs demand.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
iphone4 worth $200 even though 2+ years old. 'nuff said.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9362 posts
1936 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
toeknee89 wrote:
Jan 20th, 2013 10:56 pm
The reason iphones hold their value is because of the abundance of apple fanboys who love apple products but can't afford them at full price. They'll take any discount they can take. supply vs demand.
Supply and demand are definitely at play here. But I would suggest it is the opposite of your assertion. Androids tend to drop in price at retail so quickly, there is no point to having a grey market. Why bother buying used when the hottest phone on the market will be $100 cheaper next week brand new?
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9435 posts
883 upvotes
this
toeknee89 wrote:
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11366 posts
2065 upvotes
Toronto
toeknee89 wrote:
Not quite a supply vs demand issue. It is the apple policy on selling retread devices at tiny discounts when the new replacement device comes out. When the iPhone 7 is the hot ticket item, the iPhone 5 is still available for retail sale.
Deal Expert
Sep 3, 2007
15925 posts
355 upvotes
toeknee89 wrote:
Could be that even the iphone 3gs which was released in 2009 still get timely os updates compared to fragmented androids.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
21442 posts
1505 upvotes
Aurora
Android is definitely fragmented.

If I want an iPhone, I only have one source.

If I want an Android, I can choose between two current Samsung models (S3 and Note II). Not to mention all the other vendors that are competiting with Samsung.

It becomes really evident why Apple hold their value.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9362 posts
1936 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Gee wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2013 3:20 am
Android is definitely fragmented.

If I want an iPhone, I only have one source.

If I want an Android, I can choose between two current Samsung models (S3 and Note II). Not to mention all the other vendors that are competiting with Samsung.

It becomes really evident why Apple hold their value.
Bingo.

There are so many Android vendors and they are all are in a race to the bottom for pricing at retail. That makes it almost impossible for used phones to retain any real value. Just wait until Huawei really pushes their play to try to out-Samsung Samsung, prices are going to drop even more.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
15412 posts
799 upvotes
Woodbridge
My boy went with Apple (White, 32GB).

I told him the points you guys posted and completely agreed.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
× < >