Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1320 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal

Higher than normal hydro bills.

Hey guys, just wondering on an issue that isn't making sense to me. My hydro bill was steady around 55 bucks a month give or take. I have 1500 sq ft with a 740sq ft basement including garage etc. I have gas heating and hot water and all Led lighting. I tend to leave my central AC running almost all summer but here's the kicker my electricity consumption almost matches my summer consumption which makes no sense. I'm using an avg of 25kwh a day and have no clue how that's possible. My bill jumped from 55 to 77 equalized payment plan so 12 bucks and change was added to my monthly installment. I don't use my stove all that much and have a 19cf fridge that is from 2004 along with my stove. Nothing changed on my end habit wise to warrant a spike. I have a few baseboard heaters for the basement but they are set to 16 in the winter. Could the smart meter be screwy?
Last edited by Mike2000z28 on Mar 19th, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
32 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
It was a cold winter, maybe your baseboard heaters were coming on. Or maybe their temp setting isn't accurate.
Looks at your online hourly usage graph. If you're constantly using a lot of power, start unplugging everything (or disconnecting breakers) to try and isolate the power usage.
It could be an appliance is failing and using lots of power, or it could be lots of electronics plugged in, which can use lots of power even if turned off.
Maybe you just forgot something on?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2150 posts
720 upvotes
Mississauga
Have you examined your actual consumption? Averaging 25kwh a month is almost impossible.

If you are on equalized payment then that means your bill is an estimate based on the past and expected future consumption. Usually it means they estimate your annually consumption over 11-12 months and equally split your payments. If your actual consumption is higher at the end of the yearly equalized plan then you pay the difference, if your actual is lower than you get a credit.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1102 posts
546 upvotes
Barrie ON
Mike2000z28 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 12:10 pm
I have 1500 sq ft with a 740sq ft basement including garage etc. I have gas heating and hot water and all Led lighting. I'm using an avg of 25kwh a month and have no clue how that's possible.
You are right. That is pretty well impossible. I have a 2700 ft two story house, also heated by gas. I am an Alectra customer, and I have attached a report card from them, which I receive occasionally throughout the year. The report compares my consumption to others in my neighborhood with similar sized homes. As you can see I am using less than average with 648 kWh between December and January. Last summer I used a maximum of 900 kWh in one month.

My bill for the period shown on the report was $96.80

Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
I've used between 400kw and 1200kw in a month. 25kw seems unrealistic.
Why does anyone bother with the equal payments? Just budget for the max you expect.

Mar 6, 2019
15 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary
We have gas furnaces and water heaters but seem to find our electricity usage is up in the winter months when the furnace is running more often. Perhaps the blower in the furnace is contributing to the extra usage?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
1320 posts
75 upvotes
Montreal
I checked my consumption profile and the highest was around july(ac) which was maybe 1200 kwh for the month. Last 366 days was around 9488kwh. Sundays my laundry days I'm avg around 40kwh a day due to the washer and dryer but midweek when wife is at work and I'm home I'm still in the high teens low 20s in terms of kwh. I even used their calculator for phantom power etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10086 posts
4184 upvotes
Brampton
engineered wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 1:52 pm
I've used between 400kw and 1200kw in a month. 25kw seems unrealistic.
Why does anyone bother with the equal payments? Just budget for the max you expect.

Well if you keep it low enough and they bank error in your favour (eg have periods where your estimates are lower than your actuals) you're able to leverage that as a short term interest free loan to help free up cash flow.
But you'll need to game it a bit, Jumping on Equal payments when you know your spends are going to be low jump off when the equal payments are back up to higher than your actuals.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27110 posts
13118 upvotes
Ottawa
Check if your neighbor is stealing your electricity for a grow op.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2535 posts
3782 upvotes
Laval
Interesting I was just on the phone with Hydro Quebec because my bill has also increase by $30 a month and they said it was a colder winter , and I used more kw.

Then also sent someone last month to change the meter since there was a recall from the manufacture on it when I ask if this can be the cause of the increase they said no.

I need to compare my bills with the last winters to see if this year was colder in Montreal
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:33 pm
Well if you keep it low enough and they bank error in your favour (eg have periods where your estimates are lower than your actuals) you're able to leverage that as a short term interest free loan to help free up cash flow.
But you'll need to game it a bit, Jumping on Equal payments when you know your spends are going to be low jump off when the equal payments are back up to higher than your actuals.
lol, it would take a real hardcore RFD'er to have to put that effort in to save a few bucks of money for the interest.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
10086 posts
4184 upvotes
Brampton
engineered wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:36 pm
lol, it would take a real hardcore RFD'er to have to put that effort in to save a few bucks of money for the interest.
Not hard when you can just do it with one phone call. Think more than one property.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1681 posts
884 upvotes
Toronto
I use quite a bit, at least according to Toronto Hydro. They tell me I'm using way more than what similar homes use. I guess it's my hot tub I run year round.
Capture.PNG
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10301 posts
9468 upvotes
Oakville
tebore wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:43 pm
Not hard when you can just do it with one phone call. Think more than one property.
How many times a year, plus waiting for how long on each phone call? And to save how much? $5/year?
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4257 posts
1265 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
tebore wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 3:43 pm
Few years back was able to do it online... going from budget billing to actual.

Quicker then phone call so can use saved time to find more ways to save $$ :)