13 upvotes
VTECMAN wrote: CX9 - great looking, poor powerplant
Highlander - V6 reliable - Blah drive
Pilot - Decent tech, poor transmission
VW Atlas - Beautiful, awesome tech, poor reliability

Argh!
Hi VTEC
I will add my 0.02 as I was in the same position as you ~ 6 months ago,
We looked at the CX9, Highlander, Pilot, Atlas as well as the Explorer and MDX. We test drove all at least two times. A couple of thoughts:

CX9: well appointed, nice ride, found the cockpit tight and 3rd row meh at best. looks will not age well IMO
Highlander: blah drive, 3rd row meh at best
Pilot: even a more blah drive (like a minivan), no volume knob was annoying, arm rests and no centre console killed it for us
Altla: agree beautiful and timless, drives great. This is the first we drove and after driving another two times we bought an Atlas. No regrets. Not sure what you mean by poor reliability.
Explorer: well appointed, couldn't get past the "softness" of the ride and bad line of sight due to pillars
MDX: great but lack of leg room in second row was killer for us...most;y due to lack of depth from seat to floor

Thanks
G
Nov 9, 2006
148 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been looking at this as well.

Another one that should be added to the list is the 2019 Subaru Ascent.

There isn't much info on the Ascent though.
Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
Not sure if this is allowed, but does anyone have a reputable Mazda dealer they can refer? I honestly would rather deal with a sales manager instead of a salesperson. Send me a pm.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
VTECMAN wrote: Not sure if this is allowed, but does anyone have a reputable Mazda dealer they can refer? I honestly would rather deal with a sales manager instead of a salesperson. Send me a pm.
I believe his name is Jeff and he's supposedly active in the Mazda thread.
Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: I believe his name is Jeff and he's supposedly active in the Mazda thread.
Sorry - i did a search. Which thread are you referring to?
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13098 upvotes
As a guy who love German cars, I adore Mazda's interiors ever since they are released from Ford.

CX-9 would be my go to if I want a people carrier. Over Q7 or X5.

Just that not sure why they won't put in pano roof at signature's price point.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
VTECMAN wrote: Well i feel stupid now - Thanks for that..
Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
Xtrema wrote: As a guy who love German cars, I adore Mazda's interiors ever since they are released from Ford.

CX-9 would be my go to if I want a people carrier. Over Q7 or X5.

Just that not sure why they won't put in pano roof at signature's price point.
Took the CX-9 for a test drive...amazing acceleration and torque. 3rd row is ok...haven't tried the bigger suvs like the traverse or atlas.

Lack of panoramic roof and captain seats in 2nd row will likely be deal breakers for us Loudly Crying Face
Also no option for Around/birds' eye view even at the top trim...although the HUD on the GT trim seems pretty cool
Wonder when the Ascent will be available for test drives
💡😃😂😄
Deal Fanatic
Feb 16, 2006
5264 posts
2270 upvotes
Vancouver
charliebrown wrote: Lack of panoramic roof
This would be a plus for me. Quieter vehicle inside due more noise absorbing insulation in the headliner and none of the worries about the roof glass shattering as has been occurring in Hyundai/KIA and Volkswagen. If I could I would totally omit the opening sunroof as it takes away from headroom.

Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
NewsyL wrote: This would be a plus for me. Quieter vehicle inside due more noise absorbing insulation in the headliner and none of the worries about the roof glass shattering as has been occurring in Hyundai/KIA and Volkswagen. If I could I would totally omit the opening sunroof as it takes away from headroom.

This is a good point. Quietness is definitely a priority.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
2319 posts
1192 upvotes
BC
charliebrown wrote: Took the CX-9 for a test drive...amazing acceleration and torque. 3rd row is ok...haven't tried the bigger suvs like the traverse or atlas.

Lack of panoramic roof and captain seats in 2nd row will likely be deal breakers for us Loudly Crying Face
Also no option for Around/birds' eye view even at the top trim...although the HUD on the GT trim seems pretty cool
Wonder when the Ascent will be available for test drives
The mazda is longer than the atlas by a hair. The styling and dynamics make it feel smaller.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
VTECMAN wrote: This is a good point. Quietness is definitely a priority.
Buy a Lexus...you'll fall asleep on the wheel because it's so quiet.
Dec 10, 2005
773 posts
238 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Buy a Lexus...you'll fall asleep on the wheel because it's so quiet.
$52K lexus 7 seater with all the bells and whistles? do tell..
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
VTECMAN wrote: $52K lexus 7 seater with all the bells and whistles? do tell..
Went with the F Sport 2 for the wife.
A little bit more peppy and stiffer suspension; but much more quiet than my Explorer Sport.