Off Topic

Highschool students get free stuff just for attending school.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2012 10:06 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Corleone187 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 6:31 pm
You have to understand that if someone wants to do something there is a reward system.
If you want to learn for the sake of learning and nothing else, good, thats your reward and thats not the students we're talking about because they will be in school regardless
You can also want to learn for the sake of getting stuff in return. Like say when you work hard driving a cab for income to buy a house in real life. Maybe you dont want to drive a cab, but you do cause you are motivated by the house, not the cab. Kids can be motivated by getting cool stuff. Enjoying what you learn is great but its really not required that you enjoy learning, as long as you learn it. Thats where the cool stuff comes in.

In regards to class im referring to kids staying in school and what motivates a kid to not go to school and leave. A poor kid has more forces propelling him to do other things other then go to school as opposed to a rich kid. For one a poor kid may want some cool stuff which he will have to get a job. If you're a rich kid and you already have the stuff there is little motivation to leave the school and get a job
The reward comes from getting good grades, getting into College and pulling yourself out of the hellhole that is inner-city Detroit.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8908 posts
1973 upvotes
Trump University
ronin1701 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 7:16 pm
The reward comes from getting good grades, getting into College and pulling yourself out of the hellhole that is inner-city Detroit.
that's hardly a conceivable reward for many students.

Just like in Con Air where the Airplane pilot says to the hijacker

Pilot: "If you shoot me the plane will go down and we will all die"
Hijacker: "I dont think that far ahead"

This is how credit works
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Corleone187 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:12 am
that's hardly a conceivable reward for many students.

Just like in Con Air where the Airplane pilot says to the hijacker

Pilot: "If you shoot me the plane will go down and we will all die"
Hijacker: "I dont think that far ahead"

This is how credit works
So you're telling me that everything you learned about life, you learned from Jerry Bruckheimer.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8908 posts
1973 upvotes
Trump University
ronin1701 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:20 am
So you're telling me that everything you learned about life, you learned from Jerry Bruckheimer.
You just have to observe real life. How do you think the credit system works? cause people and countries dont go into debt? They do. That should explain everything.

Do people prepare for their funeral when they're in high school?

Would Pavlov's dog still salivate if food was brought to the dog 2 hours after the bell was rung? No

It's pretty much general knowledge to realize people only think so far ahead
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
ronin1701 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2012 7:16 pm

This is exactly correct. Kids should never be given a reward (TV, Ipod, etc) just for attending school. That is essentially bribery. And nothing good ever came out of bribery. They will grow up with the mind set that they should be rewarded at a job just for showing up. It creates and promotes laziness.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
8155 posts
862 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I agree rewarding them for showing up is just stupid. Rewarding them for performing/excelling is a bit more understandable however.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8908 posts
1973 upvotes
Trump University
D-Roc wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:46 am
This is exactly correct. Kids should never be given a reward (TV, Ipod, etc) just for attending school. That is essentially bribery. And nothing good ever came out of bribery. They will grow up with the mind set that they should be rewarded at a job just for showing up. It creates and promotes laziness.
What the difference between a kid and an adult? just say no one paid you money to go into work. You should work anyways without pay cause you should love working right? and not be motivated by money? The truth is that It's not reality. You say that kids SHOULD love learning. Do you think that most adults love their work? If you paid adults $0 do you think they would still be working? So should adults no longer think this way and just work for free?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Corleone187 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:53 am
What the difference between a kid and an adult? just say no one paid you money to go into work. You should work anyways without pay cause you should love working right? and not be motivated by money? The truth is that It's not reality. You say that kids SHOULD love learning. Do you think that most adults love their work? If you paid adults $0 do you think they would still be working?
Then why don't we pay kids a full time salary to attend school, instead of the occasional gift? If you feel so strongly about it - but I don't see you going to your local school and giving handouts to the kids who show up.

Not getting paid to work: we have something like that - it's called volunteering. But you can hardly use the same analogy between work and school - because work is optional (especially in a welfare state), while school is mandatory (until you're 16 anyways).
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
14178 posts
106485 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Corleone187 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:43 am
You just have to observe real life. How do you think the credit system works? cause people and countries dont go into debt? They do. That should explain everything.
Yeah, that explains why the world economies are as *****ed up as they are right now.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Corleone187 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 9:53 am
What the difference between a kid and an adult? just say no one paid you money to go into work. You should work anyways without pay cause you should love working right? and not be motivated by money? The truth is that It's not reality. You say that kids SHOULD love learning. Do you think that most adults love their work? If you paid adults $0 do you think they would still be working? So should adults no longer think this way and just work for free?
Where did I say kids SHOULD love learning?

Second, going to school, getting a passing mark is the reward. It is not the same as having a job and getting paid for it. Schooling is there to help increase ones knowledge and education in order for them to be able to get that job and get paid for it. Kids should not be paid for attending school. For doing well in school (in the form of a monetary or material item). That creates the whole mindset of entitlement.

Going to school is not the same as working at a job.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2827 posts
300 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
D-Roc wrote:
Sep 13th, 2012 10:00 am
Where did I say kids SHOULD love learning?

Second, going to school, getting a passing mark is the reward. It is not the same as having a job and getting paid for it. Schooling is there to help increase ones knowledge and education in order for them to be able to get that job and get paid for it. Kids should not be paid for attending school. For doing well in school (in the form of a monetary or material item). That creates the whole mindset of entitlement.

Going to school is not the same as working at a job.
Uh, no. Once politics and budgets are involved, public K-12 students are forever screwed. University is the only part of the educational system where students have freedom, but they pay a heavy price for it.

I would disagree with what you said. I'd rather have a decent paying job with possibility of promotion than getting a sheet of paper with numbers and preselected comments on it. I'd rather stay home, read a book, then go out and have discussions about the topic with others rather than being forced to sit in class and being taught with methods that work for most people but not me.

I would be an advocate of learning, but the current public school system has dumbed down people so much that I couldn't even hold a meaningful debate in history class. No one knew their arguments in depth... Would I blame them? Perhaps, because of their lack of motivation, but what I'm more concerned about is that a) we aren't being taught the important stuff earlier and b) when we are taught it's completely watered down.

And wtf is going on with the so-called special education classes? I've tutored some of these students in math, and it turned out that they didn't understand concepts because the teachers were incompetent. They aren't stupid; they don't need a special curriculum. They need teachers who care and have more patience - qualities which seem to be disappearing rapidly these days. Do you honestly think some kid in a SPED class is going to look forward to learning in such an environment? Not to mention all the social stigma surrounding the program...