1375 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Budget, size, type of use???
Jun 25, 2012
60 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal
I am also looking for the same, any feedback appreciated.

Size 10-11 (depends on brands)
Budget : 100$ (Up to 150$, if quality is awesome and good warranty and people say they last 5+ years...)
Use : 2-3 days hiking trips during 3-seasons (No need for -40C boots, I'll get winter ones later if needed)

I checked brands (Merell, MEC, Salomon), as well as most of the websites, it's so hard to get consistent reviews from websites and buyers.
I don't know which ones are good brands, and also what kind of waterproof? Any is good or should I aim for gore tex?
I have shoes already, looking for boots for ankle protection.
Also good if you find online deals, but since size is very important for hiking boots, I would try in other shop first before buying online.

Is my budget too cheap?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3392 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
AlbertIshnoo wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 3:37 pm

Budget : 100$ (Up to 150$, if quality is awesome and good warranty and people say they last 5+ years...)
Use : 2-3 days hiking trips during 3-seasons (No need for -40C boots, I'll get winter ones later if needed)

I checked brands (Merell, MEC, Salomon), as well as most of the websites, it's so hard to get consistent reviews from websites and buyers.
I don't know which ones are good brands, and also what kind of waterproof? Any is good or should I aim for gore tex?
Also good if you find online deals, but since size is very important for hiking boots, I would try in other shop first before buying online.

Is my budget too cheap?
try atmosphere/sportscheck as they have alot of boot sales in store (same as online). the type of hiking boots would depends on your needs (types of hiking) and feet type. if you have wide feet, i recommend Keens as they are very roomy even in regular size. there are however some complains about Keen traction rubber on some models aren't as good as other similar brand models. there are usually some sale on decent hiking boots.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2003
1303 posts
228 upvotes
North York
Last Hunt has a bunch of waterproof hiking boots on sale, but final sale so if it doesn't fit then you can't return it. In your size they only have this model left

https://www.thelasthunt.com/products/ak ... aku-gu0255

I recently bought the Sorel Madison hiker based on their size chart (without trying it on at any store) and it fits way too big. When I pulled out the sole to measure it with a ruler, it was a full cm longer than their chart listing. I have to email Sorel about it to see what they have to say.

I have one really good pair of Salomon gore tex boots that are a few years old and still wearing great in the snow and a bit of rain.

Check out Eddie Bauer's canadian website as well.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13191 posts
5603 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AlbertIshnoo wrote:
Apr 17th, 2018 3:37 pm

Is my budget too cheap?
My experience is that it will be difficult to buy good quality hiking boots on that budget. At that price range you're probably looking at something that's on sale, perhaps end-of-line.

I'd aim for boots that are mid-height and provide good ankle support, especially if you're hiking on rugged terrain. Low cut boots provide no ankle support. They're also prone to collecting stones and twigs. So you'd also need gaiters to keep that debris out.

The best waterproofing is full-grain leather. But that's outside your budget and the boots are heavy. Next best is Gore-Tex. Keep in mind that G-T is a membrane. It can crack from the constant flexing that boots undergo. So you may find that while the uppers and soles are in good shape water starts to seep in. Another issue with 5+ years life is that the dense foam layers that provide cushioning tend to harden after a few years, thus losing some of their cushioning.

Brands like Merrell, Keen, MEC, Salomon are all good. But even more important is fit. I'd go to MEC where the staff are knowledgeable and will spend as much time as necessary to get you a good fit. Bring along a pair of hiking socks to use to ensure good fit. Hiking socks are thicker than street socks so you may need to go up half a shoe size. Also it's best to go boot shopping later in the day after you've done some walking. Feet swell as the day progresses so what fits in the morning may be a bit tight by evening.

Boots these days no longer need break-in like heavy full-grain of the past. Still plan on wearing them for a week or so indoors to make sure they fit and remain comfortable. Once you wear them outside you won't be able to return them.

AFAIK no boot maker offers a warranty of more than one year.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jun 25, 2012
60 posts
32 upvotes
Montreal
Lots of good info, thanks!
I went to try these, and they look to be comfortable
Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid Goretex
https://www.sportsexperts.ca/en-CA/p-x- ... 3/149763-9
They are full price, but I have a coupon for 50$ off anything 150$+.
There is a sample/outdoor sale early May, if I don't find anything there I will get the Salomon.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13191 posts
5603 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
AlbertIshnoo wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 5:58 pm
Congratulations. FWIW by coincidence last weekend I bought a pair of the same model boots for my wife while we were visiting friends in the US. They're to replace an older pair of Salomons.
veni, vidi, Visa
Oct 14, 2014
216 posts
140 upvotes
Southern Ontario
AlbertIshnoo wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 5:58 pm
Lots of good info, thanks!
They are full price, but I have a coupon for 50$ off anything 150$+.
There is a sample/outdoor sale early May, if I don't find anything there I will get the Salomon.
My dad has been wearing Salomons just like that for years, has been happy with them. I had a different model of Salomon last me 8 years, finally wore out last year.