Hiking/Camping Advice and Flashlights

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2014 8:49 am
Tags:
Oct 6, 2012
2 posts
TORONTO

Hiking/Camping Advice and Flashlights

I was asked to buy a bunch of flashlights from girlfriend who is taking a bunch of girl guides on a hiking/camping trip. I don't know a lot about flashlights a cable TV Technician who had one of these LED flashlights. When I asked about the price it seemed quite reasonable price at $5 and the size was small enough for girl guides (wanted to avoid having the kids try to drag around those big old lantern battery flashlights). The batteries are included in the price (win :razz :) . As this is for use in the woods I thought the metal outside was a nice touch. The thing seemed pretty bright when the technician used it which makes me worry about battery life. I heard LEDs use less power, but the batteries are smaller too. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this stuff? Thanks in advance for your help.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
Walmart has cheap flashlights.
Jul 31, 2008
500 posts
318 upvotes
Markham
Some comments...
o You may be shocked how dark a trail can be at night, especially with no moon. Make sure some adults have real flashlights. For example, something like the Fenix TK22 can be very nice.
o Maglights are pretty bad in general, and I would go for small plastic lights.
o These are very disposable, but cheap at 2.50 each and very kid friendly:
http://www.amazon.ca/Dorcy-41-4241-Flas ... flashlight
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21783 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has 3-packs of both headlamps and flashlights for a decent price. I think they were around $10-15. The brand is Snap-On, which is a pretty reputable name in tools.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14179 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote: Costco has 3-packs of both headlamps and flashlights for a decent price. I think they were around $10-15. The brand is Snap-On, which is a pretty reputable name in tools.
3 pack headlamps at Costco are $10, not Snap-On