Sports & Recreation

Hiking shoes... last minute decisions...

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 4:56 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9440 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto

Hiking shoes... last minute decisions...

I recently spent extended time in NZ doing plenty of hikes in my Salomon X-Ultra 3. They were generally great except I MIGHT have sized up a bit (coming downhill quicker my feet would slide forward, at least I think that was the problem?) and anytime there was mud or puddles I'd just do my best to avoid, which was a little troublesome at times balancing a heavy backpack too.

Then there were a few times where I had to cross low-level streams or rock-hop, or just be in the rain... and that's where my shoes mostly let me down... they weren't waterproof so of course my feet+socks got wet, and depending on the itinerary they might have just been wet again the next day.

In less than a week I'm headed to do a bunch of camping around the Jasper+Banff area, and I'm wondering about upgrading my shoes. The ones I'm looking at are the X-Ultra Trek which have a high ankle and goretex. I've never had waterproof shoes before, and very rarely have worn high ankle boots.

I don't know how much rain/water we'll encounter, or how much snowmelt or even snow higher up on the mountains we'll be dealing with.

My feet already sweat enough as-is, I'm worried if I get a pair of goretex boots it'll be that much worse. And I still worry about them getting wet in i.e. rain where I've heard once water gets IN a goretex shoe, it'll take that much longer to dry out. And I might encounter very little rain/puddles/snowmelt. Of course, it would also be great to comfortably walk a trail or off-trail and just walk through any sorts of puddles or mud without worrying about ruining my hiking experience.

There will be days of multi-day camping, so it's not like I could swap out a pair of wet shoes or dry them in town or something like that, if they got wet.

Any advice?
No external links in sigs please.
9 replies
Feb 10, 2010
920 posts
370 upvotes
Ajax, ON
It all depends of couple factors:

Do you want something for hiking or backpacking? Shoes or boots? Are you into ultralight gear? How heavy is your backpack? Terrain you do your hikes, etc etc

You do want your shoes/boots a little bigger because your feet and sometimes ankle will swollen after a long hike, try to change your lacing technique and you going to notice your feet will not move forward in downhill.

Is really hard to find the perfect hiking shoe/boots like something waterproof but if for some reason get wet easy to dry up. You going to need to sacrifice somewhere.

You mention you carry a heavy backpack so I recommend something with ankle suport (boots) and just carry a ultralight sandals for around base camp.

Check the Lowa renegate it comes in boots or shoes, very light weight and you can choose between gortex or leather inliners. I have both liners and they are amazing boots.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9440 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 1:25 pm
Do you want something for hiking or backpacking? Shoes or boots? Are you into ultralight gear? How heavy is your backpack? Terrain you do your hikes, etc etc
Backpacking, I have a 65L backpack and am carrying (comparably heavy) camera gear too. Will be multi-day backpacking, but not like multi-week long treks. I'm not "into ultralight" but do try to save weight where it makes sense. Bringing the heavy camera stuff, I try to reasonably save weight elsewhere where I can. I haven't actually weighed my backpack... but it's not light. But the backpack (Ariel AG 65L) handles it like a champ! Terrain is everything from worn trail to rock/boulder hopping, alpine ascents (but not mountaineering), etc.
ToDealHunter wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 1:25 pm
You do want your shoes/boots a little bigger because your feet and sometimes ankle will swollen after a long hike, try to change your lacing technique and you going to notice your feet will not move forward in downhill.
Hm that's something to consider as well. My X-Ultra 3 are salomon's "quicklaces", so it's not possible to really adjust tightness in specific areas.
Feb 10, 2010
920 posts
370 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Yes Osprey backpacks are amazing, I am changing my Gregory Baltoro to an Osprey Atmos 65L soon.

If you going to find snow or snowmelts you are going to be definitive better with boots.

Whatever shoes/boots you buy is very important you break in them first just to avoid any bad surprises in the middle of your trip.

Mostly all my backpacking friends are into ultra light backpacking but I do like to bring a little more weight for more comfortable gear, so I need ankle support.

I do wear the Lowa renegades on short trips and the Asolo 520 when is more difficult terrain.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 6, 2005
9440 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
ToDealHunter wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 4:14 pm
Yes Osprey backpacks are amazing, I am changing my Gregory Baltoro to an Osprey Atmos 65L soon.

If you going to find snow or snowmelts you are going to be definitive better with boots.

Whatever shoes/boots you buy is very important you break in them first just to avoid any bad surprises in the middle of your trip.

Mostly all my backpacking friends are into ultra light backpacking but I do like to bring a little more weight for more comfortable gear, so I need ankle support.

I do wear the Lowa renegades on short trips and the Asolo 520 when is more difficult terrain.
Any stores in the GTA I should be considering besides MEC? I know my friend is a big advocate for asolo... I have a bunch of other friends outside of north america that use lowa. Two brands I had never heard of before

And yeah, time isn't exactly on my side - my fault. Hoping to make my final decision tomorrow and if I pick up a new pair, basically wear them as much as possible.
Feb 10, 2010
920 posts
370 upvotes
Ajax, ON
You can Check:

Higher Ground Toronto
SAIL
Atmosphere
Sportcheck
Sport Life
Eurobound
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1511 posts
178 upvotes
Alberta
I'm a sweater too, but with good socks (Smartwool is my go to), I've never felt "wet" in goretex boots.
My Lowa Zephyrs finally bit the dust last year. Went with with the Salomon Quests this time. They're beefier and bit stiffer. May still need to get use to them, but also went and bought another pair of the Lowas as well, as they were awesome.
Jan 29, 2006
412 posts
14 upvotes
with only 1 week to go before your trip, I wouldn't try a new pair of boots/shoes, go with what works for you. There is a Goretex version of the Salomon X-Ultra 3 (the GTX Version), if you think you might need a bit more ankle support they have a mid ankle version of the X-Ultra 3. With a good pair of socks, I have found they are just a little less breathable. I have used the X-Ultra 2 GTX the past few years, now have the X-Ultra 3, and will probably pick up the X-Ultra 3 GTX when I find a good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2008
9995 posts
2467 upvotes
Toronto
Kaitlyn wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 12:58 pm

In less than a week I'm headed to do a bunch of camping around the Jasper+Banff area, and I'm wondering about upgrading my shoes.
It's too late to break in new shoes/boots now.
naxos98 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2018 9:47 pm
with only 1 week to go before your trip, I wouldn't try a new pair of boots/shoes, go with what works for you. There is a Goretex version of the Salomon X-Ultra 3 (the GTX Version), if you think you might need a bit more ankle support they have a mid ankle version of the X-Ultra 3. With a good pair of socks, I have found they are just a little less breathable. I have used the X-Ultra 2 GTX the past few years, now have the X-Ultra 3, and will probably pick up the X-Ultra 3 GTX when I find a good deal.
agreed

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)