Entrepreneurship & Small Business

Hiring contract driver/dental lab helper - any precautions to take?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 8:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1486 posts
48 upvotes
York Region

Hiring contract driver/dental lab helper - any precautions to take?

Hey guys,
So we are at the stage of our business where we need help.
We posted an ad for Driver/Dental lab helper.
Many people applied, some interviews scheduled.

My question is this: this is CONTRACT position that will turn into full time contract or permanent in early 2019. We offered an hourly wage + gas card ( will issue costco corporate card for filling up at costco).
If he is self employed and HST registered - great, if not - who cares. We will only issue a cheque with NO deductions on it - they would have to pay their own taxes from it.

This driver will be using his own car and insurance. I dont think that he/she will call her car insurance to let them know of vehicle being used for local deliveries. HOW CAN I PROTECT MYSELF AS AN EMPLOYER and not be liable for any car damage if the accident occurs while this person is on delivery?

Any other suggestions are appreciated guys :)
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6409 posts
3513 upvotes
Edmonton
edkate wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 2:52 pm
Hey guys,
So we are at the stage of our business where we need help.
We posted an ad for Driver/Dental lab helper.
Many people applied, some interviews scheduled.

My question is this: this is CONTRACT position that will turn into full time contract or permanent in early 2019. We offered an hourly wage + gas card ( will issue costco corporate card for filling up at costco).
If he is self employed and HST registered - great, if not - who cares. We will only issue a cheque with NO deductions on it - they would have to pay their own taxes from it.

This driver will be using his own car and insurance. I dont think that he/she will call her car insurance to let them know of vehicle being used for local deliveries. HOW CAN I PROTECT MYSELF AS AN EMPLOYER and not be liable for any car damage if the accident occurs while this person is on delivery?

Any other suggestions are appreciated guys :)
Just because you consider it a contract position (as opposed to employer/employee relationship) doesn't mean that you're safe from the CRA declaring them as your employee, and making you liable for all the deductions you didn't pay. You should speak to an accountant.

As far as making sure you're not liable for any accidents, you should speak to a lawyer. Your contract should likely be done professionally to make sure your bases are covered.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2004
1486 posts
48 upvotes
York Region
Thanks! we did speak to our accountant already about this.
My question was not about the pay but rather about a vehicle accidents.
Penalty Box
Apr 5, 2013
3079 posts
757 upvotes
markham
the onus is you to ask for a certificate of insurance.