Hiring manager contact information

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2018 11:24 pm
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts

Hiring manager contact information

Hi All,
I applied for the lab chemist position in health product and drug analysis labs (Burnaby, BC; Scarborough,ON; Longueuil,QC)from Health Canada. Could anyone please offer some advice on how I find the hiring manager contact information? Just like make a cold call or email to the hiring manager. Your advice and help is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
4611 posts
837 upvotes
Yeah, don't do this.

Especially for a government job. Very weird.
Mark77 wrote:"All aspiring students should go into the financial services - engineering is, and always has been, a poor choice for our brightest minds ... and TodayHello is my Hero ..."
Hydropwnics wrote:"TodayHello is a certified hustler and original gangster."
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
8450 posts
1284 upvotes
Markham
Why do you want to get the HR manager's contact info?
Did he/she contacted you yet?

If not, just wait. You already submitted your resume for the job. A applicant shouldn't randomly go contact the hiring manager out of no where. They have your contact info if they want to reach out to you.
If I'm the hiring mgr, this is def a turn down.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts
Thank you all very much! really appreciate it! I am not sure if it works in applying for Government Jobs. For industry Jobs, if you send your resume directly to the hiring manager, you will have more chance to get an interview.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
EllenW wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:41 pm
Thank you all very much! really appreciate it! I am not sure if it works in applying for Government Jobs. For industry Jobs, if you send your resume directly to the hiring manager, you will have more chance to get an interview.
Doesn't work that way with the Federal Gov't. Decisions on who to test and interview are made by the selection board members, not the hiring manager. The hiring manager will find it very inappropriate for you to contact him/her prior to the selection board having completed its job.

Also, don't try to contact the selection board members or selection board chair is either. Contacting any selection board member is frowned upon as it may be viewed as seeking preferential treatment and trying to influence the board members. There is a contact point on the job notice - who will most likely be an admin person who will be unable to provide but very general information - that is who you contact should you have any questions.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 9:08 pm
Doesn't work that way with the Federal Gov't. Decisions on who to test and interview are made by the selection board members, not the hiring manager. The hiring manager will find it very inappropriate for you to contact him/her prior to the selection board having completed its job.

Also, don't try to contact the selection board members or selection board chair is either. Contacting any selection board member is frowned upon as it may be viewed as seeking preferential treatment and trying to influence the board members. There is a contact point on the job notice - who will most likely be an admin person who will be unable to provide but very general information - that is who you contact should you have any questions.
Thanks a lot Skeet50. I got it. But I am very confused now. Based on my google research, many people suggest to network with people when you are applying for any kind job in Gov't or Industry. Any input on how to network effectively with people working in Gov't? Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
1153 posts
839 upvotes
One suggestion would be industry associations that attract government workers. It can be hard to network for hiring purposes as it can be considered an abuse of authority for someone to simply hire someone that they know for a position.

The easiest way to get in is to apply through a temp agency or to any position just to get in and then start searching for your ideal job.
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 2:44 pm
One suggestion would be industry associations that attract government workers. It can be hard to network for hiring purposes as it can be considered an abuse of authority for someone to simply hire someone that they know for a position.

The easiest way to get in is to apply through a temp agency or to any position just to get in and then start searching for your ideal job.
Thank you soooo much skeet50! Your advice is very helpful. Really appreciated your input and kind help!
[OP]
Feb 8, 2018
5 posts
skeet50 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 8:50 am
If you are a recent graduate, check out the post secondary recruitment campaigns https://www.canada.ca/en/public-service ... tment.html. That's how I got my job with the federal public service. External hire into a permanent position.
Thanks a lot for sharing this. I will check it out. very grateful to you for all your advice!