• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 5:30 pm
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
691 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa

Hiring a photographer

I own a small business and want to hire a freelance photographer to take some action shots as well as some stills for our website. I know very little about photography so want to come up with some questions to ask applicants when they apply to take on a job for us ( I already have 5-6 applicants and I only posted the job on indeed earlier today).

- What kind of camera do you own?
- Can I see some of your work?
- Can you do video as well? (Would be a bonus)
- How long will it take you to edit the photos?

What kind of cameras would be the bare minimum to take professional level photos? Are there any other questions I should be asking?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4176 posts
1096 upvotes
Toronto
mikek33 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 7:51 pm
I own a small business and want to hire a freelance photographer to take some action shots as well as some stills for our website. I know very little about photography so want to come up with some questions to ask applicants when they apply to take on a job for us ( I already have 5-6 applicants and I only posted the job on indeed earlier today).

What kind of cameras would be the bare minimum to take professional level photos? Are there any other questions I should be asking?
What type of action shots?
Jul 5, 2006
369 posts
166 upvotes
If you don't know anything about photography, I don't think asking for camera model would really help you. Also, higher model camera wouldn't guarantee a great image.

Ask for portfolio for sure. As a photographer, I would ask you when you need the photos by, how many, and everything clear-cut in a contract so both sides know what to expect.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
691 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 7:59 pm
What type of action shots?
Sports. It’s a basketball camp.
[OP]
Dec 19, 2009
691 posts
104 upvotes
Ottawa
kevwo wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 8:05 pm
If you don't know anything about photography, I don't think asking for camera model would really help you. Also, higher model camera wouldn't guarantee a great image.

Ask for portfolio for sure. As a photographer, I would ask you when you need the photos by, how many, and everything clear-cut in a contract so both sides know what to expect.
Right. I would want a contract but was more wondering what things to ask BEFORE I agree to work with someone.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1044 posts
341 upvotes
mikek33 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 10:10 pm
Right. I would want a contract but was more wondering what things to ask to BEFORE I agree to work with someone.
Stuff like rebel_rfd asked. Ask them that: do you have experience in sport photography such as basketball camp. If so, ask them to show you their portfolio of such shoots. You'll have to add as much details as you can, as well as asking your questions, for ex.: is it indoor or outdoor, where can the photographer stands (close or far from the game), etc.
You don't really need to know the gears, as long as they can show their portfolio and letting you know that they can reproduce something similar, with similar set-up (ex. indoor) and it's something you like.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2007
1134 posts
169 upvotes
Bedford
Some good suggestions here. The portfolio is key. If you find someone you like, maybe commit to a smaller shoot first and evaluate what they deliver.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1661 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
For example, let say you need "trading card styled" photos of each participant in a poorly lit indoor gym, ask the applicant how they will achieve the desired result (sample photo will be great, but not available, ask how he/she will achieve the required result, such as positioning/angle etc..)

The depth of your questions should also depend on the compensation offered.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2217 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
neltron3030 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:02 am
Who is applying for photography work without a portfolio?
Do you really want to know the answer to this question? lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9024 posts
934 upvotes
1) See portfolio and see their entire work and sequence, not just a few good shots
2) If your pictures are to be taken outdoors, ask the photographer for outdoor shots samples
3) Ask pricing and costs (per hr or package) and what is included
4) When will you get edited photos
5) Do you get to own the photos and use them on your website, for commercial purposes, some photographers have different rules
Aug 31, 2012
5 posts
Toronto
Just came across this post and I'm interested lol.
To answer your questions:
I own a Fuji X-T3 and a Fuji X-T2. I am working with a partner so we will have two photographers working together.
Yes, if you want, I can send some in an email.
Yes.
Depending on how many photos you need. If less than 10, within one week should be enough. Video however, would take much longer. For instance, a 5 min video would take at least 1-2 weeks to complete.
- As for the questions of "what kind of cameras is minimum requirement" is really not that important for you to ask especially if you don't know anything about photography. Many entry level cameras are probably enough for your need. But any serious photographer would probably possess at least one professional level camera, which I would say cost >$3000, plus other necessary equipment such as lighting, gimbal/stabilizer for video.

you can PM me if you are interested,
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1092 posts
105 upvotes
^ this won't sit well lol

You should also be clear with the photographer what kind of job you want done (i.e., whether it's for marketing purposes where more controlled lighting would be beneficial or journalistic purposes to capture events during the day)