• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2017 12:06 am
[OP]
Jul 6, 2017
7 posts

hiring retail employees help!

I've been having some issues hiring the right person for my part time position at a furniture retail store. First off I post on kijiji looking to hire and im always stuck with candidates who are new to canada with no experience so i am forced to hire them or else i risk of having the adequate help i need. But those people dont last because after a couple of months of training them i realize no matter how much you train them, their lack of understanding the english language and the Canadian culture makes them not fit for the position. I also think my interview process is too easy and im not too sure of what type of questions to ask in my interviews. Can someone with more experience give me some pointers on how to ask the right questions so i can find the right helper? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Last edited by dnndrk on Aug 6th, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Jan 26, 2017
76 posts
45 upvotes
Plain & simple, hire a Canadian.
Why hire a foreigner? You just said you are having problems with foreign workers so...
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2327 posts
487 upvotes
Mississauga
Why hire a foreigner? They generally don't know their rights as an employee...
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
2896 posts
539 upvotes
If he hires a local, he will have to pay them more for their knowledge of English.
Aug 15, 2010
166 posts
20 upvotes
Nanaimo
Advertise in additional places rather than just Craigslist. Specify in the ad, the people must be fluent in English. If they don't have good English when you interview, don't hire them. Where are you located? What wage are you offering?

Most places have lots of people looking for work. Usually you just need to be more selective.
Garland Coulson, "Captain Time"
Oct 14, 2007
145 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
Try posting on Indeed.ca instead of Kijiji.