• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2018 2:44 am
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 7, 2007
118 posts
14 upvotes

Hiring trades ?

Hi all. Newbie here planning to build a new home. When you hire trades, is a boilerplate contract commonly used, or would it be reasonable to just outline the tasks, costs, who supplies the materials, and the timeline (start, finish dates, late fees), etc & have both parties sign the agreement. Appreciate your thoughts & advice
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1574 posts
627 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Hire a GC/project manager and let them worry about hiring each trade and organizing the timeline for their work.
Unless you plan on being on site almost everyday to make sure the specific trades show up when needed
Sep 20, 2008
971 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
wannadeal wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 3:38 pm
Hi all. Newbie here planning to build a new home. When you hire trades, is a boilerplate contract commonly used, or would it be reasonable to just outline the tasks, costs, who supplies the materials, and the timeline (start, finish dates, late fees), etc & have both parties sign the agreement. Appreciate your thoughts & advice
Do what schade suggests. It's not worth the aggravation and stress to juggle everything. I do this on a daily basis and sometimes I just want to fire people on the spot because they're doing something incorrectly or can't read drawings. TV makes building a home look easy, but you do not realize all the men and women behind the cameras doing all the hard work.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9642 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
That’s not how it works in the real world.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Penalty Box
Feb 25, 2018
393 posts
130 upvotes
If you are not going to be on site and hire someone else to do it you will get ripped off or at least be charged a lot more. Then if you haven't got a clue what you are doing what is the point of "building your own house?"
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2438 posts
463 upvotes
Edmonton
DaveVentura wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:16 pm
If you are not going to be on site and hire someone else to do it you will get ripped off or at least be charged a lot more. Then if you haven't got a clue what you are doing what is the point of "building your own house?"
Well, he wouldn't be building his own house. He would be hiring people to build his house
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9642 posts
3945 upvotes
Ottawa
DaveVentura wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 9:16 pm
You raise a good point. To build a house you need to know how to do every single trade. The reason you hire subcontractors is because they are better, quicker than you are (and certified). You should be proficient with your local building code and know 80% of its content of the top of your head. The only thing that you should be referencing are the numbers/dimensions. Your inspector will give you no leaway “you failed this but keep your guys going and i’ll make note and inspect it next inspection or next time in driving by”

When they tell you there will be an extra you need to know if it’s a 1 hour job ir a 8 hour job...because if you have no clue what’s involved i guaranty you it’s an 8 hour job.

You need to be there 10-12 hours a day. You need contacts that can get you what you need when you need it. Plumber is there to install a toilet and it’s broken out of the box. If he booked you that day you’re on the clock for you to bring him a new toilet in the next half hour or have him wait there and send you a $400 bill for material not ready.

Right now trusses are a 4.5-5 week delay here. You’ve got your framers lined up to start. A few gc’s or builders put in 2 or 3 truss orders each...guess what happens to your scheduled fabrication? I guaranty you he’s getting his in 2.5 weeks...yours just went to 6-6.5 weeks overnight.

If the above works for you (know construction, be on site every day and are prepared for a few extra months of delays) it’s a fun hobby. Keep in mind it is an expensive hobby because you’ll be paying much more once the bills are tallied than paying a gc to do it for you.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Penalty Box
Feb 25, 2018
393 posts
130 upvotes
Get 3 quotes for each job: foundation company, framing company, roofers. plumbing company, electricians, drywall company, kitchen and bathroom installers, siding company, insulating company, landscapers....

If you pick established companies it should go well.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4377 posts
1403 upvotes
Paris
DaveVentura wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 10:04 am
Get 3 quotes for each job: foundation company, framing company, roofers. plumbing company, electricians, drywall company, kitchen and bathroom installers, siding company, insulating company, landscapers....

If you pick established companies it should go well.
No it won't. I don't understand why 3 quotes would help him with any of the very specialized knowledge it takes to be a GC.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
4377 posts
1403 upvotes
Paris
Cas77 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:52 am
Right now trusses are a 4.5-5 week delay here. You’ve got your framers lined up to start. A few gc’s or builders put in 2 or 3 truss orders each...guess what happens to your scheduled fabrication? I guaranty you he’s getting his in 2.5 weeks...yours just went to 6-6.5 weeks overnight.
More than anything... this. You have an issue with a window that was an 8 week lead time? We discover it day one of a 2 day install and I can get one OVERNIGHT delivered next day by 8am. You will be waiting another 8 weeks. You don't have the pull, the ongoing relationship, or the contacts to make it happen.

My brother wanted to GC his own build in 2000ish in Chatham. He talked to some people and quickly realized all the contractors were Dutch, worked with each other daily, and you would always be at the bottom of the list. So he selected a guy that did 40 homes per year that had the access he needed to the trades and suppliers that you just don't, and will not.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4432 posts
430 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
Agree with what Cas and Jerico said.. Don't do it yourself.

Every time someone here mentions they want to GC their own house my response is the same, "Do you want to stay married?"
Because you will be on the edge of not being married at the end of it.

Never ever ever ever have I had an owner-GC'ed house go right.
It puts a significant strain on a person mentally and financially because they have no idea what they are doing and not enough money to fix the mistakes when (not if) they happen.

Find a general contractor you can work with.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5562 posts
3767 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Based on the amount of effort OP appears to be putting forth in this thread (below)...OP acting as the GC should be....ahem...entertaining.

And I’ve been the GC on my current house, so I know what it entails.

software-make-houseplans-3d-2203788/#p29499121
John “hug-a-thug” Tory’s 2018 Summer BBQ. Bring your own Kevlar!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2864 posts
300 upvotes
As a tradesman, there’s nothing worse or more time consuming than working for a homeowner who is building their own house, let alone one who has never done it before.
As you will soon find out, it’s a whole lot more than hiring the separate trades to do the job.
For everyone’s sake including your own, hire a GC or a builder

Late fees? Lmao
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1255 posts
275 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 9:06 am
As a tradesman, there’s nothing worse or more time consuming than working for a homeowner who is building their own house, let alone one who has never done it before.
As you will soon find out, it’s a whole lot more than hiring the separate trades to do the job.
For everyone’s sake including your own, hire a GC or a builder

Late fees? Lmao
Then don't take on these jobs.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
2864 posts
300 upvotes
James_TheVirus wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 9:13 am
Then don't take on these jobs.
Thanks tips
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)