• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2017 3:19 pm
[OP]
Sep 18, 2008
230 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto

Historic properties in Toronto being dug up spring 2017

The car dealership is gone the Sobeys has closed in the block between Sherbourne and Princess south of Front St.
I wrote a Toronto time travel story centered on 177 Front St E which today is the corner of Front and Sherbourne, but was once Palace and Caroline. The property is very old - one of the originals, er well not quite; it was still in the water in 1796. see below
In the 1880s the site had a major Canadian chemical maker's R&D lab - Lyman Bros became Northrup & Lyman and they made dozens of best selling patent medicines right up to the 1940s.
They made Vegetable Compound and hair tonics and .. so much. Here's an 1890s newspaper ad for bug powder.
if anyone is interested i wrote about the St Lawrence section of Toronto on Dumpdiggers blog, Two More Deep Holes 'Back in Time' Scheduled for Front Street E in Toronto . I'm posting this hoping historians will correct or add details and images if they have any. . I've been looking and have seen all that are online at this point. Looking in particular for Northrup & Lyman ads or photos. Otherwise please enjoy the stories.
1 reply
Sep 29, 2008
915 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
Interesting read!

Liking the historical spin on a new build condo site.