Automotive

Hit the curb with my brand new Acura RDX 2019

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2021 2:13 pm
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes

Hit the curb with my brand new Acura RDX 2019

I bought an Acura RDX 2019 last week and hit the curb (on the driver side) due to icy conditions. After hitting the curb, there was a scratch on my wheel and the steering is no longer centered. I have to turn the steering to the right to keep the vehicle straight. I was able to drive the vehicle to dealership but I noticed that the suspension was not like before. Also the following lights came on indicating that they are not working
1. Electronic Wheel Assist
2. AWD
3. Lane Departure
4. Vehicle Stability Assist
5. Hill Park Assistance
The car is with the dealer and he is going to provide me the estimates tomorrow. I am very scared as this is a brand new car. What would be the expenses I should be looking at . Should I use insurance.?
196 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
I can see your bill would be around $2000. (I did the exact same thing 15+ yrs ago and my steering wheel was knocked to a big angle)

Wheel alignment is required after parts replaced. I suspect the lists will grow bigger too

Depends on your past claim history and your deductible, if you can pay it, then do so.
Last edited by booblehead on Dec 9th, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14187 upvotes
Toronto
Let me guess, no winter tires?

If so, good thing you saved yourself the cost of those so you can use it towards your repair bill.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
I thought AWD is supposed to stop this from happening?
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes
booblehead wrote: I can see your bill would be around $2000. (I did the exact same thing 15+ yrs ago and my steering wheel was knocked to a big angle)

Wheel alignment is required after parts replaced. I suspect the lists will grow bigger too

Depends on your past claim history and your deductible, if you can pay it, then do so.
When you say the lists will grow bigger what else can go wrong? 2000 $ is a lot... My deductible is 1000$ and this would be my first claim (i have accident forgiveness) but not sure whether to still use that or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Yup, I would suggest you contact your insurance company.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5274 upvotes
Toronto
AWD makes your car into flying popsicle without winter tires. But who needs winter tires when you can drive fast on ice and need assistance of curb to stop.
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes
Swerny wrote: Let me guess, no winter tires?

If so, good thing you saved yourself the cost of those so you can use it towards your repair bill.
This is a brand new car and I was told with AWD you dont need winter tires..Disappointed But Relieved Face
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes
At what estimate should I go with insurance and not pay it out of pocket?
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10545 posts
4142 upvotes
Toronto
viv901 wrote: This is a brand new car and I was told with AWD you dont need winter tires..Disappointed But Relieved Face
Lol whoever told you that ain't the brightest. Winter tires always help!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
viv901 wrote: This is a brand new car and I was told with AWD you dont need winter tires..Disappointed But Relieved Face
lol who told you that?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
viv901 wrote: At what estimate should I go with insurance and not pay it out of pocket?
Since you have accident forgiveness, any estimate higher than your $1000 deductible. Which it will be.

edit: actually, if it's only a few hundred more than $1000, maybe just pay out of pocket, and save the accident forgiveness where damage is like $2,3,4k+. You have to pay at least $1000 either way.
Last edited by derass on Dec 9th, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5274 upvotes
Toronto
viv901 wrote: When you say the lists will grow bigger what else can go wrong? 2000 $ is a lot... My deductible is 1000$ and this would be my first claim (i have accident forgiveness) but not sure whether to still use that or not.
For claims involving multiple vehicles, if it's over $3000 consider using your insurance because to fix the other car you are looking at double. If it's under $3000, better to pay this amount to the other driver if you are at fault. Usually settle for few hundred imo and consider cheaper way to fix your own car or not fix it.

So for self inflicted damage, using above rule, I would say $6k+ to make a claim.
Sep 9, 2013
697 posts
594 upvotes
Ottawa
Lol ! Who ever said that is an idiot. Lucky it was only a curb and not people you hit.
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: For claims involving multiple vehicles, if it's over $3000 consider using your insurance because to fix the other car you are looking at double. If it's under $3000, better to pay this amount to the other driver if you are at fault. Usually settle for few hundred imo and consider cheaper way to fix your own car or not fix it.

So for self inflicted damage, using above rule, I would say $6k+ to make a claim.
Wow 6K is a lot...iam feeling very nervous.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5274 upvotes
Toronto
Lol, quote of the season... Send that person who told you (sales rep at Acura?) the bill.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19792 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Swerny wrote: Let me guess, no winter tires?

Loving your responses lately.

Savage.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Dec 8, 2018
21 posts
51 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Lol, quote of the season... Send that person who told you (sales rep at Acura?) the bill.
Unfortunately nothing can be done against people who advise as everything is at my own risk...no one will pay this bill..for me lesson learnt very hard way. Now along with repairs will have to shell money for winter tires too