Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto

Hit by duties

So my brother purchased a $60 liverpool jersey. DHL delivery guy came today and showed the $50 bill(duties+taxes). I didn't want to pay this much so I told him to deliver this on another day when brother is at home.
Is it possible to get a refund of the purchase if we refuse the package?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6826 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
osuman wrote: Is it possible to get a refund of the purchase if we refuse the package?
Why are you asking us? Contact the seller and ask them that question.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
4107 posts
1543 upvotes
Ontario
woof wrote: Why are you asking us? Contact the seller and ask them that question.
This. If anything you will get your purchase price - shipping refunded by the seller.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Your brother should have figured out beforehand that there was going to a chunk of money to pay:

- about $10 HST
- about $20 duty on foreign clothing items
- at least $10 for DHL brokerage

What do think happens when you refuse the package?

Waste of everyone's time.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
DHL = duties. Always.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
3282 posts
1046 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the replies guys. I know these companies charge a lot for duties, that's why I always buy small thing valued at <$30 and use usps whenever I can. Didn't even know my brother made a purchase until delivery guy showed up lol. I guess I'll just tell my brother to pay it off and keep these tips in mind.
pupazzo wrote: Just write it off.
What do you mean by write it off?
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
osuman wrote: Thanks for the replies guys. I know these companies charge a lot for duties, that's why I always buy small thing valued at <$30 and use usps whenever I can. Didn't even know my brother made a purchase until delivery guy showed up lol. I guess I'll just tell my brother to pay it off and keep these tips in mind.

What do you mean by write it off?
The companies do not charge "duties" the government does.

Clothing that is produced outside N/A will have 18% duty, plus HST (13% here, not sure what ON is) plus their handling and advancement fee for brokerage.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1423 upvotes
Toronto
We had something similar happen recently, and I paid it and learned a little about duties on clothing along the way. It hurt but it was my fault for not considering it in the first place. Having said that, the item we got was not available in Canada and so that was our only option really if we wanted to keep the item.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
At least DHL was nice enough to tell you about the costs upfrotn. UPS would have dropped the item off and charged you months down the road. That sort of practice should be illegal imo but I suspect they do it because they don't want people refusing shipment for their exuberant handling fee
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36618 upvotes
Scarborough
Nothing you can really do in these situations. Unless it was final sale you can probably get a refund but not on shipping/other fees. Contact the seller like other people have said.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
boyoflondon wrote: Add UPS and FedEx to that list.
That's true but UPS/Fedex have more flexible payment options. Still, it's best to go through USPS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)