• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2018 1:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 26, 2007
101 posts
11 upvotes

Hit a parked car, what can i do?

I was in a pet vet parking lot which had alot of shade. I looked behind me and saw a couple parking spots so i decided to reverse into the spot. Low and behold there was a mazda miata parked behind me. The car is so low to the ground i couldnt see it out my rear view mirror. I was driving a Dodge Grand Caravan. I started reversing slowly and then i hit something, it was the miata. I got out and inspected the damage which was on the bumper. it was a smear mark and light scratches (not sure if they can be buffed out). There was no denting at all. I proceeded inside to find out it was the vetranarian's vehicle. I called him out and he inspected it and took my phone number and said he would contact his body shop and see what needs to be done.

I dont want to get fleeced. I have a feeling he is going to tell me he needs a new bumper which i can only imagine costs thousands of dollars. Im not 100% sure if a buffer would fix it. What are my options here?
42 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2009
2315 posts
321 upvotes
TO
Pay up. You hit his car. Don’t like the quote? Go through insurance .... and pay up even more.
[OP]
Feb 26, 2007
101 posts
11 upvotes
I am wondering how much insurance would actually go up for an accident like this (nic on the bumper, no dent).
Apr 30, 2013
458 posts
156 upvotes
Toronto
Please don't use your rearview mirror when going in reverse, turn your head!!! It could have been small children.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
22228 posts
8856 upvotes
Ottawa
basslion wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 1:56 am
I am wondering how much insurance would actually go up for an accident dent like this (nic on the bumper, no dent).
Doesn't matter if it's $500 or $1000, your driving record will show an at fault claim and that's enough for your current (unless you have first accidental forgiveness) and new insurer to increase your rates.
Apr 10, 2009
630 posts
41 upvotes
freeforall wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 5:56 am
Please don't use your rearview mirror when going in reverse, turn your head!!! It could have been small children.
If the object is small enough to be hidden below the back window, I dont see how that would help either.

Vehicles have blindspots that cannot be seen without additional aids. The driver needs to make sure they observe things before they enter the blind spot, or by making sure they have the appropriate additional tools (rear camera, sensors, extra mirrors, etc) if they feel what's provided stock isn't enough to cover the blind spots.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
1692 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa
Good on yo to owe up to your mistake. Most people wouldn't have done the same.
At this point, nothing much to do but pay whatever the owner is asking for. If you have accident forgiveness, your premium won't go up, but for something this small, it's not worth it to use it.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
1392 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga
If it's just the bumper + labour/ paint.. you looking at 1500-2000... not worth taking the at fault hit to your insurance.
Sep 8, 2017
742 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Poor Miata. Way to go OP....
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
Your choices are either pay what he tells you it's going to cost, or tell him to go through insurance. You can't require him to go through 10 places looking for a cheaper quote, you can't tell him to just "buff it out"... You don't have a lot of options, really.

For that matter, you can't even demand that he let you pay it off in cash. It's his right to go through insurance if he wants to. He would be doing you a favor if he does that. So tread lightly with your requests.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3889 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 11:02 am
Your choices are either pay what he tells you it's going to cost, or tell him to go through insurance. You can't require him to go through 10 places looking for a cheaper quote, you can't tell him to just "buff it out"... You don't have a lot of options, really.

For that matter, you can't even demand that he let you pay it off in cash. It's his right to go through insurance if he wants to. He would be doing you a favor if he does that. So tread lightly with your requests.

C
Also OP's pretty lucky in that it was a vet's car and it happened at his place of business. It's likely the guy just wants his car fixed with as little fuss as possible, rather than squeeze OP for every penny he can.
Feb 11, 2018
787 posts
633 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote:
Jun 15th, 2018 9:29 am
If it's just the bumper + labour/ paint.. you looking at 1500-2000... not worth taking the at fault hit to your insurance.
$1,000 for a bumper of a Lexus GS350 done at the Lexus dealer's body shop. 1,500- 2,000 is kind of high.
Paying less is only half the equation. The other half is buying less... ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2009
1782 posts
221 upvotes
Calgary
While I respect that you don't want to get fleeced, I bet the vet didn't want his car to get hit.

Pay whatever his body shop comes back with, and TURN YOUR GODDAMN HEAD WHEN YOU ARE BACKING UP.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1668 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
Koodos to OP for owning up. You did the right thing. Hopefully, it's reciprocal.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)