• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:36 am
[OP]
Dec 28, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto

Hit and Run in condo parking lot

This has never happened to me before and I am not sure what are my next steps.

When I approached my parked car in our condo parking lot, I noticed that the left front bumper of my car was scratched and dented. I highly suspect that it was caused by the car that is always parked next to us. The driver of that car usually park really close to my car and I noticed that there is a huge scratch on the back right bumper of their car. I have already requested the surveillance footage from our condo but there is a huge pillar in front of the camera so I don't know if it would be able to capture the incident.

At this time, what should I do? Do I report it to the collision centre even though I don't have solid proof that they did it? Would my insurance go up? If the driver admits to hitting my car, would it be possible for them to argue that it was somehow my fault even though my car was parked?
36 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1210 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Hit and run are no fault accidents and your insurance should not go up. You need a police report to be able to file hit and run claim. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24327 posts
10658 upvotes
Ottawa
Take pictures of your vehicle and the other vehicle and try to capture any paint transfers from their vehicle onto yours.
File a police report and then contact your insurance company.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
1703 posts
306 upvotes
Maple
Put a dash cam in your car, ensure you know the other car hit yours via inspection, measurements etc.

Then contact the owner and say you have footage ( you dont but point to your newly installed camera ) and say there are two options, insurance or you will head to police.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
Had the same issue where the douchebag next to me couldn't park and I'm sure dented my door, but no way to prove it. This was before dashcams were available.
If the security camera is blocked, maybe you can request it be moved or another added.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10094 posts
1896 upvotes
Montréal
corcoran_chris wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:26 pm
Put a dash cam in your car, ensure you know the other car hit yours via inspection, measurements etc.

Then contact the owner and say you have footage ( you dont but point to your newly installed camera ) and say there are two options, insurance or you will head to police.
...and if the culprit says "heh, I don't think you had a carcam then...", OP can say "HA!! how do you know I didn't have a carcam at that time...what time...you mean the time you HIT MY CAR?!!!! and why were you scoping my car to see if I had a carcam or not, hmmmm? LOOK IN MY EYES AND TELL ME YOU DIDN'T HIT IT. LOOK!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7910 posts
4766 upvotes
Markham
Eye for an eye. You know there's a big ass column blocking the camera. So yeah... do what you feel is justified.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9895 posts
4329 upvotes
Toronto
before doing that, record the conversation.
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:38 pm
...and if the culprit says "heh, I don't think you had a carcam then...", OP can say "HA!! how do you know I didn't have a carcam at that time...what time...you mean the time you HIT MY CAR?!!!! and why were you scoping my car to see if I had a carcam or not, hmmmm? LOOK IN MY EYES AND TELL ME YOU DIDN'T HIT IT. LOOK!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!" LOL.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
2067 posts
1107 upvotes
corcoran_chris wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:26 pm

Well, this bluff may not work out as intended.

Regardless you have footage or not, you should go thru insurance.

That's why you need parking dash cam. Hopefully surveillance footage works out for you OP.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8645 posts
7295 upvotes
Oakville
tranquility922 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:38 pm
Stare down always works....

[OP]
Dec 28, 2012
3 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Do I have to go to the collision center to file the police report?

If there is no footage, how would I prove that the other driver was at fault and my car was parked? I’m really scared that the insurance companies may turn around and say that I could somehow be at fault. I’m so frustrated. People should own up to their mistakes.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
10094 posts
1896 upvotes
Montréal
SimperingBunny wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:08 pm
Do I have to go to the collision center to file the police report?

If there is no footage, how would I prove that the other driver was at fault and my car was parked? I’m really scared that the insurance companies may turn around and say that I could somehow be at fault. I’m so frustrated. People should own up to their mistakes.
Unfortunately there are lots of scum in this world. Take the advice itt, take photos and see if they match up to show that the other car did hit you (location of damages and paint marks, etc), besides trying to get the video footage, recording conversations, etc.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2943 posts
1670 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
You don't even need to threaten the other owner. If you are able to contact them, just let them know your car is scratched and his car also has some damage, that you will already taken photos and will be reporting to the police and insurance. If you want, you can ask them if they want to cover privately, if not, then let insurance deal with it. No need to escalate further and if the other guy denies it, then no problem, let police and insurance decide who is at fault. You'll still be covered regardless, only thing shitty would be your deductible if they deemed not enough evidence.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7918 posts
3781 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 5:37 pm
You don't even need to threaten the other owner. If you are able to contact them, just let them know your car is scratched and his car also has some damage, that you will already taken photos and will be reporting to the police and insurance. If you want, you can ask them if they want to cover privately, if not, then let insurance deal with it. No need to escalate further and if the other guy denies it, then no problem, let police and insurance decide who is at fault. You'll still be covered regardless, only thing shitty would be your deductible if they deemed not enough evidence.
lol yeah and you;re out 500 on deductible and likely and increase in premiums.
imsurance and police cant do shit with a scratch on another car because you suspect it came from them. If the world worked like that everyone would be sued all the time every time for everything.. infact i could sue you right now because u scratched my car.
Aug 7, 2017
215 posts
176 upvotes
You don't have a leg to stand on trying to blame anyone else without evidence, you'll have to sort this out.

I suggest you check out the repair cost before calling your insurance at all. Decide if you just suck it up and pay or even don't repair it rather than putting the claim on record. I don't believe all this "doesn't affect your insurance" for one minute - maybe with your current company but I guarantee if you move you'll be answering a "how many claims in the last 10 years" question and that will definitely need to include so-called "non fault" claims. It's captured and it's factored into the algorithm. Why else would they ask if it really doesn't matter? We had a home insurance claim once for a flood - it DESTROYED my insurability for several years yet there was no "fault". Brutal. Never claim unless you have absolutely no other option.