Automotive

Hit and Run in condo parking lot

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:36 am
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
11395 posts
6203 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Lets see pics of the damage and we'll give you a price for fix.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
Anikiri wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:46 pm
Eye for an eye. You know there's a big ass column blocking the camera. So yeah... do what you feel is justified.
Upvoted for most idiotic post of the day.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
bya1998 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 8:45 pm
You don't have a leg to stand on trying to blame anyone else without evidence, you'll have to sort this out.

I suggest you check out the repair cost before calling your insurance at all. Decide if you just suck it up and pay or even don't repair it rather than putting the claim on record. I don't believe all this "doesn't affect your insurance" for one minute - maybe with your current company but I guarantee if you move you'll be answering a "how many claims in the last 10 years" question and that will definitely need to include so-called "non fault" claims. It's captured and it's factored into the algorithm. Why else would they ask if it really doesn't matter? We had a home insurance claim once for a flood - it DESTROYED my insurability for several years yet there was no "fault". Brutal. Never claim unless you have absolutely no other option.
oh i know I love the myth perpetrated on the internet about how "not at fault" on a hit and run, means your premiums won't go up. So let me get the logic here:

A company, that is FOR profit, that you pay to protect you from loss - which bases your insurance premiums on your AGE, SEX, LOCATION, and other statistics to come up with a premium, is going to COVER you for FREE, and not increase your premium? LOL
Think about it: LOCATION... think about that for a second. You've just proven to your insurance company that you are at a HIGH risk location because of the sudden "spike" in hit and run accidents. YOUR PREMIUM will go up. Specially since there is no other party involved for your insurance company to gouge.
They won't blame you or your claims about the increase. but they will tell you that your location is grown higher risk over the years and is the reason for the increase. There is no such thing as a free lunch... Oh and you're out a $500 deductible in this case.

Unless this is a car that you love, and can't live with the scratch, you might be better off and let it be. Karma has a funny way of working itself out. Or just fix it out of pocket.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15958 posts
6139 upvotes
File the report. Hand over any evidence you have of other cars that may be involved.

Not at fault accidents do not cause your premiums to rise and some companies even waive the deductible when reported quickly. If the damage is significant repair it. But if the damage is around the value of your deductible do not bother (unless your deductible is waived).
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
3539 posts
2203 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
daivey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:18 pm
oh i know I love the myth perpetrated on the internet about how "not at fault" on a hit and run, means your premiums won't go up. So let me get the logic here:

A company, that is FOR profit, that you pay to protect you from loss - which bases your insurance premiums on your AGE, SEX, LOCATION, and other statistics to come up with a premium, is going to COVER you for FREE, and not increase your premium? LOL
Think about it: LOCATION... think about that for a second. You've just proven to your insurance company that you are at a HIGH risk location because of the sudden "spike" in hit and run accidents. YOUR PREMIUM will go up. Specially since there is no other party involved for your insurance company to gouge.
They won't blame you or your claims about the increase. but they will tell you that your location is grown higher risk over the years and is the reason for the increase. There is no such thing as a free lunch... Oh and you're out a $500 deductible in this case.

Unless this is a car that you love, and can't live with the scratch, you might be better off and let it be. Karma has a funny way of working itself out. Or just fix it out of pocket.
Well it's not just your own premiums going up, everyone else's is, so why pay it all upfront yourself when you can spread it out with other people. Once insurance gets too high, move to another location and start racking up claims again. Rinse and repeat.

Well what else are you suppose to do then to avoid the $500 deductible? Can't go to the police and insurance company since they can't do shit. What's your great solution?
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7692 posts
2070 upvotes
bomber17 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:12 am
Well it's not just your own premiums going up, everyone else's is, so why pay it all upfront yourself when you can spread it out with other people. Once insurance gets too high, move to another location and start racking up claims again. Rinse and repeat.

Well what else are you suppose to do then to avoid the $500 deductible? Can't go to the police and insurance company since they can't do shit. What's your great solution?
How does moving to another location (I assume you mean company) solve the issue? Your supposed not at fault is still a claim on your record and will have to be disclosed wherever you go. I see your out west so may be different there?...here in the GTA this situation may be treated as an at fault at the very least it's a claim on your record with no real proof to back the story so ..
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
380 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 9:18 pm
oh i know I love the myth perpetrated on the internet about how "not at fault" on a hit and run, means your premiums won't go up. So let me get the logic here:

A company, that is FOR profit, that you pay to protect you from loss - which bases your insurance premiums on your AGE, SEX, LOCATION, and other statistics to come up with a premium, is going to COVER you for FREE, and not increase your premium? LOL
Think about it: LOCATION... think about that for a second. You've just proven to your insurance company that you are at a HIGH risk location because of the sudden "spike" in hit and run accidents. YOUR PREMIUM will go up. Specially since there is no other party involved for your insurance company to gouge.
They won't blame you or your claims about the increase. but they will tell you that your location is grown higher risk over the years and is the reason for the increase. There is no such thing as a free lunch... Oh and you're out a $500 deductible in this case.

Unless this is a car that you love, and can't live with the scratch, you might be better off and let it be. Karma has a funny way of working itself out. Or just fix it out of pocket.
I understand the skepticism, but that's not true. Not at fault accidents genuinely do not increase your premium. They cannot increase your premium as a result of that specific claim. What you are describing (whether there is an increase owing to location, etc) may increase your premium whether or not you submit a claim. Everyone's claims contributes to the claim frequency in the area, so if you decide to suck it up and pay for the damages yourself, you will only affect that frequency a very tiny bit.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 12:00 pm
I understand the skepticism, but that's not true. Not at fault accidents genuinely do not increase your premium. They cannot increase your premium as a result of that specific claim. What you are describing (whether there is an increase owing to location, etc) may increase your premium whether or not you submit a claim. Everyone's claims contributes to the claim frequency in the area, so if you decide to suck it up and pay for the damages yourself, you will only affect that frequency a very tiny bit.
how do you know though?
unless someone on these forums works in pricing department for an insurance company in Ontario, I take every word I read online with a grain of salt. How do you know they won't use it against you? Is there some sort of law that protects consumers from a premium increase when submitting a not-at-fault claim?
You still need to pay for the deductible, in most cases, $500...

anyway, I would make a claim if the damage was considerable. If it was just a scratch Id likely suck it up.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:40 pm
how do you know though?
unless someone on these forums works in pricing department for an insurance company in Ontario, I take every word I read online with a grain of salt. How do you know they won't use it against you? Is there some sort of law that protects consumers from a premium increase when submitting a not-at-fault claim?
You still need to pay for the deductible, in most cases, $500...

anyway, I would make a claim if the damage was considerable. If it was just a scratch Id likely suck it up.
You can take this with a grain of salt also.
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... e-set.aspx

What Insurance Companies Can't Use to Determine Rates

Your insurance company cannot use the following rating criteria to determine how much you should pay for automobile insurance:

credit history;
bankruptcy;
employment status;
whether you own a credit card;
how long you have lived in your current home;
accidents where you are less than 25 per cent at-fault where the accident occurred on or after September 1, 2010;
minor at-fault accidents that occurred on or after June 1, 2016, meeting certain criteria (no payment by any insurer, no injuries, damages less than $2,000 paid by the at-fault driver) – limited to one minor accident every three years.
not-at-fault accidents;
whether your vehicle is owned or leased; and
whether there was a period of time where you had no automobile insurance coverage.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:35 pm
You can take this with a grain of salt also.
https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/broc ... e-set.aspx

What Insurance Companies Can't Use to Determine Rates

Your insurance company cannot use the following rating criteria to determine how much you should pay for automobile insurance:

credit history;
bankruptcy;
employment status;
whether you own a credit card;
how long you have lived in your current home;
accidents where you are less than 25 per cent at-fault where the accident occurred on or after September 1, 2010;
minor at-fault accidents that occurred on or after June 1, 2016, meeting certain criteria (no payment by any insurer, no injuries, damages less than $2,000 paid by the at-fault driver) – limited to one minor accident every three years.
not-at-fault accidents;
whether your vehicle is owned or leased; and
whether there was a period of time where you had no automobile insurance coverage.
does the OP story count as an accident in the insurance eyes?

still needs to pay deductible though I'm assuming. so it's still a lose lose scenario anyway.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28842 posts
14651 upvotes
Ottawa
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:42 pm
does the OP story count as an accident in the insurance eyes?

still needs to pay deductible though I'm assuming. so it's still a lose lose scenario anyway.
I'm not sure, but I have no trust with FSCO, as they have their hands in the pockets of the insurance companies.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
UrbanPoet wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:23 am
And for good measure. Sleep with his wife!
This.

If they own up to it, no further retaliatory action needed.

If they don’t, sledgehammer to their car and sleep with their wife (or husband - I ain’t gonna judge).

Even Steven.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 26, 2011
1675 posts
380 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:42 pm
does the OP story count as an accident in the insurance eyes?

still needs to pay deductible though I'm assuming. so it's still a lose lose scenario anyway.
Hit and run accidents are not considered at fault.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:44 am
Hit and run accidents are not considered at fault.
yeah. tough call.
on the one hand - report it to insurance, get your car fixed = the autoshop will charge a minimum of $500 to $1,000 depending on the damage.
pay for it yourself. + car rental if you need one.

on the other hand. report it to insurance... still pay $500... insurance covers the rest + rental car.

lose lose lose :(

Top