• Jan 13th, 2019 6:36 am
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1597 posts
340 upvotes
daivey wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:27 pm
yeah. tough call.
on the one hand - report it to insurance, get your car fixed = the autoshop will charge a minimum of $500 to $1,000 depending on the damage.
pay for it yourself. + car rental if you need one.

on the other hand. report it to insurance... still pay $500... insurance covers the rest + rental car.

lose lose lose :(
I feel like it's only a recent social mentality that your car must be in pristine condition. I get that OP isn't at fault here and it isn't fair that he's got dents on his car, but does anyone remember (and I feel old for saying this) when our parents drove and dents and scratches were considered normal? Like dents and scratches were considered regular wear and tear of a car, no one whined about getting a ding on their door from a shopping cart. Nowadays (and probably because everyone is leasing a new car) everyone wants to have zero dings on their cars, and any dings not caused by them, they feel obligated to be reimbursed or fixed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24296 posts
10635 upvotes
Ottawa
kmarcie wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:43 am
I feel like it's only a recent social mentality that your car must be in pristine condition. I get that OP isn't at fault here and it isn't fair that he's got dents on his car, but does anyone remember (and I feel old for saying this) when our parents drove and dents and scratches were considered normal? Like dents and scratches were considered regular wear and tear of a car, no one whined about getting a ding on their door from a shopping cart. Nowadays (and probably because everyone is leasing a new car) everyone wants to have zero dings on their cars, and any dings not caused by them, they feel obligated to be reimbursed or fixed.
I would simply do it out of spite, eye for an eye.
Too many ignorant people out there that have no respect for other's property and if the only way to teach them is have a conviction on their insurance record, so be it.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2008
4858 posts
3827 upvotes
Montreal
kmarcie wrote:
Because society is garbage today and more sociopathic than ever before. There are plenty on this forum posting daily. It is detrimental being ethical and moral when surrounded by raging sociopaths seeking vengeance for virtually no reason. This is why you get hit and runs.
Oct 14, 2003
84 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 7:42 pm
does the OP story count as an accident in the insurance eyes?

still needs to pay deductible though I'm assuming. so it's still a lose lose scenario anyway.
Same situation for me as well.
So, Even though the OP is not at fault and files a claim, they still have to pay deductible?
Also i guess what happens if the other person car is now parked showing the damaged but they are not in the country for 1 month? what would the best course of action be?
Also is it worth reporting if I previously 2 years ago got a speeding ticket but it looks like my insurance never checked and my insurance has been going down every year still.
I'm afraid if I report the issue that my insurance will then do a audit and my premium will spike quite high.
any thoughts?
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7915 posts
3779 upvotes
Toronto
kmarcie wrote:
I agree with your statement, BUT also realize that RFD is a small percentage of the population, in reality, MOST people out on the road are regular personalities. The other thing to note is that on the internet- everyone is a know-it-all tough guy.
Jan 17, 2009
365 posts
242 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
kmarcie wrote:
Some people take pride in their car and spend a lot of time keeping it in good condition. Typically the people who don't care about dings/scratches/minor damage are the same type of people driving a 10-year old Civic complaining that they have to change the oil in it more than once every 5 years.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7915 posts
3779 upvotes
Toronto
Ecsta wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 8:18 pm
Some people take pride in their car and spend a lot of time keeping it in good condition. Typically the people who don't care about dings/scratches/minor damage are the same type of people driving a 10-year old Civic complaining that they have to change the oil in it more than once every 5 years.
Lies
Most people aren't anal OCD type