• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 8:52 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
21 posts
5 upvotes

Hit and run at parking lot.

Went to my mechanic to do some oil change
Parked my car outside and got inside the shop. went out again and saw a dent on my rear passenger side door.
Went back to my mechanic and saw the camera recording a dosh backed on my car but the plate is not showing. The next door mechanic guy seems to know the guy cuz the car was backed out from his shop and he refused to show us his cameras
I want to report it to both the police and the insurance but I'm afraid that its going to be considered as a "at fault" or "%50 at fault" since the camera doesn't show the person or the plate and I already have an at fault claim 9 months ago and don't want my premium to increase more.

An advice please?
8 replies
Sep 27, 2015
199 posts
56 upvotes
Pickering, ON
if you parked right, it should not be your fault or 50% your fault. thats very logical...
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2003
4721 posts
746 upvotes
Mississauga
you cannot be any percentage at fault if you aren't even sitting in your car...lol
[OP]
Mar 12, 2017
21 posts
5 upvotes
Cutevampire wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 4:54 pm
if you parked right, it should not be your fault or 50% your fault. thats very logical...
I don't know much about insurance stuff but I just want to know if they didn't catch the guy, is my premium going to increase ? cuz its a hit on both rear door and quarter panel and I do think that it's gonna cost the insurance company a lot to fix it.
Sep 27, 2015
199 posts
56 upvotes
Pickering, ON
if you already have a claim on the go, this will increase total claims paid to you and hence,,,, some insurance companies can look into increasing your premiums.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
21109 posts
6001 upvotes
Toronto
If you report to police, police can request that shop owner to provide the necessary film footage. However, timing is critical as film footage can be recorded over .
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6928 posts
3928 upvotes
Edmonton
Even if the police can't catch or prosecute the person who did it, having the footage will prove when it happened and the fact that you weren't in the car. So HOPEFULLY that would be enough to get you off with a not-at-fault claim.

You may want to talk to your broker, or make an anonymous call to your insurer, though. And yes, time is of the essence.

C
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2015
1216 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
yes get the cops involved and request them to get the video from the mechanic next door. First of all were you parked in a designated parking spot or did you park on the lane? Because almost all Indy shops I’ve been too has very scarce parking.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7876 posts
865 upvotes
Ontario
this should be considered a hit & run as long as you have the police report. It will be subject to your deductible and won't go against you.
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER, over 30 years experience

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)