• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2017 3:04 pm
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
76 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough

Hit and Run Parking lot advice

I took my car to the dealer for servicing on Thursday morning and I did not pick it up until Friday evening. Later that evening, I noticed that my fender and door was dented and scratched. Looks like someone backed into my car and drove away. The Saturday I went back to the dealer for footage, but their manager is not in the office until Monday. Today I followed up and was told that the manager won't be until Tuesday. I haven't gone to the collision center and the dealer told me to wait out until they have conclusive footage.

I got a couple quotes around the $700-800 mark.

I read that you have 24 hours to report at a collision center?

What are your suggestions for the best course of action if you were me? I don't have much faith in getting footage from the dealer, but I will follow up again. Should I go to the collision center and have them take some pics and then get it repair while waiting for "potential" footage? I just want to get this fixed and prevent any rust from paint chips.

Or, is it not worth my time to run around for footage and collision center and just pay it out of pocket?

https://ibb.co/kV6cWF
https://ibb.co/eZO2yv
https://ibb.co/frRBrF
Last edited by yumyu on Mar 20th, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Jul 5, 2011
881 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
Might not find the dealer willing to hand over security footage without some sort of police involvement.

Do you have any pictures of the damage?
2013 Wins - $1320 - Woohoo!
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
76 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
xjesterxx wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 5:26 pm
Might not find the dealer willing to hand over security footage without some sort of police involvement.

Do you have any pictures of the damage?
Yes, I have uploaded them now. Links are in my post.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
6958 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
You are looking at 800-1000 for repairs. Both doors needs painting.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Mar 17, 2016
238 posts
144 upvotes
That really sucks OP. Are you telling us that the dealer caused the damage and is unwilling to hand you the tape? I'd demand it harder if I were you - go to someone above the manager. Contact the company, phone the cops etc. I hope you get the tape soon. Keep us posted
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
12304 posts
2565 upvotes
Ottawa
Push the dealership to resolve.
You're going to have to claim it under comprehensive "hit and run".
Oct 21, 2006
177 posts
38 upvotes
op does your insurance have any hit and run deductible waiver if it is reported to police within 24hrs?
Feb 19, 2017
167 posts
77 upvotes
Man that is absolutely brutal. Ya I would try to see if you could get the footage on that one. Dealers totally have that stuff recorded and if you need to get the cops involved get the cops.
[OP]
Aug 19, 2007
76 posts
7 upvotes
Scarborough
I went back to the dealer and spoke with the manager. He claims that their cameras are old and footage only goes back 8 hours. Also said that their camera won't capture where my car was parked, which was just across from their service front, He continues to say that this was my fault and the damage was caused long before I dropped my car in for service. His evidence was rubbing his hand across the scratch and not feeling any debris on it.

I do not know who caused this hit and run. It could be a customer. There are tire skid marks on my rims. The manager said that we don't have any black machines. Chances are someone backed into my car.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
6958 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
Well it didn't happen before you brought your car to the dealership. So it's their responsibility to own up, and 8hr coverage? I call BS! They are constantly monitoring their cars in the lot overnight 24/7.....By the way, get a dashcam or 2 to protect yourself. I'm rolling with 3 dashcams and it records when brought to the dealership.
yumyu wrote:
Mar 21st, 2017 2:30 pm
I went back to the dealer and spoke with the manager. He claims that their cameras are old and footage only goes back 8 hours. Also said that their camera won't capture where my car was parked, which was just across from their service front, He continues to say that this was my fault and the damage was caused long before I dropped my car in for service. His evidence was rubbing his hand across the scratch and not feeling any debris on it.

I do not know who caused this hit and run. It could be a customer. There are tire skid marks on my rims. The manager said that we don't have any black machines. Chances are someone backed into my car.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
6958 posts
2036 upvotes
Toronto
By the way, most dealership does a pre-check to see if there's existing damages already before they service the car. If there is, they mark it on the paper.

Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
13319 posts
3985 upvotes
For future reference, many insurance companies offer you the ability to add a rider on your policy that if you report hit and run's immediately they will waive your deductible. Because you have waited so many days I highly doubt they will cover it in this case.

Hit and run claims will not cause your insurance to rise, but you will still pay the deductible. Unfortunately this might be the best course of action if your estimates are that low.

Sorry to hear about the accident and the run around the dealership has given you.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel