• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 7:48 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1110 posts
185 upvotes
Zoinkk540 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:00 pm
Interesting. I was told it was because there were no occupants in the car rather than location of accident.
Has zero to do with having people in the car. The fail to remain charge has to be related to a highway, parked or driving. The fail to stop charge is basically the same thing, but applies to parking lots.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1110 posts
185 upvotes
Zoinkk540 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:18 pm
Interesting. Was the strength of the conviction the security footage or did this all step from the parked car filing an insurance claim?
There was no security footage, just witnesses, and her own admissions
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
33 posts
6 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 4:04 pm
There was no security footage, just witnesses, and her own admissions
Hit the nail on the head right there. Exactly what was stated by the claims guy. "It will be her fault ONLY if she admits fault, if she doesn't then you are responsible for the deductible". Which means if the cop doesn't track her down to find damage on her car (or lets say the damage on her car is not that obvious or has been repaired already by the time he gets there) then she simply has to say "Nope, wasn't me" and gets away with it all.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
2543 posts
590 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m going through something similar right now. My car was parked with nobody in it and it was hit by another driver. Only exception is he stuck around and admitted he hit my car (we also exchanged info). Filed a claim with my insurance and told them about the admission, and they said it was 100% not my fault, waived the deductible and are going after the other party’s insurance company.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
33 posts
6 upvotes
Update: spoke with the police officer today to see where things are at. He informed me that:

1. The other driver did not file a collision report,
2. The other driver in a round about way admitted guilt/that she hit my car and that he put this in the report.
3. He observed corresponding damage on her car exactly where the witness said it would be.
4. She won't be filing a claim as her car is already damaged in additional places.
5. He was not sure if there would be any legal consequences for the other driver - (I guess the constable is not the one to purse this?)

I have contacted my insurance again demanding it be processed under the Direct Compensation Coverage. We'll see what happens.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1110 posts
185 upvotes
Zoinkk540 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 4:19 pm
Update: spoke with the police officer today to see where things are at. He informed me that:

2. The other driver in a round about way admitted guilt/that she hit my car and that he put this in the report.
3. He observed corresponding damage on her car exactly where the witness said it would be.
4. She won't be filing a claim as her car is already damaged in additional places.
5. He was not sure if there would be any legal consequences for the other driver - (I guess the constable is not the one to purse this?)

I have contacted my insurance again demanding it be processed under the Direct Compensation Coverage. We'll see what happens.
All insurance needs is a plate number to put it under direct compensation, you should be good
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
33 posts
6 upvotes
QTheNukes wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 4:29 pm
All insurance needs is a plate number to put it under direct compensation, you should be good
Yes but the idiot of an insurance employee I got stuck dealing with sounds like he is barely able to tie his own shoe in the morning.
Feb 19, 2012
685 posts
195 upvotes
Woodbridge
Zoinkk540 wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 4:19 pm

This really irritates me. From your comment, it seems like she is a habitually bad driver and does this often. People like this woman should not be driving, period! The fact that there it is so difficult to hold people to task for their poor behaviour is incredibly annoying.
[OP]
Dec 4, 2017
33 posts
6 upvotes
greybrick wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 5:58 pm
This really irritates me. From your comment, it seems like she is a habitually bad driver and does this often. People like this woman should not be driving, period! The fact that there it is so difficult to hold people to task for their poor behaviour is incredibly annoying.

Spot on. I imagine parking lot hit and runs are a common occurrence for her (whether intentional or not) and she has simply accepted it as a way of life. We all know how rarely anything is seen in incidents like that but the fact that she is not phased by a cop at her door after the fact says it has happened numerous times and I bet she knows that there are no actual consequences.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9226 posts
688 upvotes
Mississauga
Unfortunately this is Canada where people can get away with murder/rape/assault with a few years sentence, often slashing the sentence in half of an already laughable amount. The laws are so lenient for criminals its disgusting. The whole Canadian justice system is comical and people know they will get slapped on the wrists. More or less people know they can get away with it, and why would anyone expect any less in situations involving motor collisions, hit and runs, etc because it is even worse in cases like these. My sister who works in an ON court has tons of stories of laughable sentencing for a variety of events small and large.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4929 posts
773 upvotes
Thank you for tracking down this irresponsible turd.