Automotive

Hit by an uninsured driver... What to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2013 6:39 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes

Hit by an uninsured driver... What to do?

Hey guys, quick question... I was hit by a potentially uninsured driver. He is at fault.

What's funny was, the damage isn't very high but the driver insisted on going through insurance after exchanging info.

So I did , now we have discovered that the other driver might not be insured and my insurance company is asking for my consent to speak with the other insurance company to provide more info with the investigation.

Why would a guy without insurance want to go through insurance for a $500 damage?

What if the driver just disappears?

I smell something fishy...

Thoughts?
11 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4298 upvotes
report it to police and your insurance

last thing you want to do is let the guy walk
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41191 posts
4953 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
IF he has no insurance... Most insurance policies have this clause that'll fix your car up to a certain amount with a deductible.

If he disappears... You'll be left getting your car fixed which is covered by your insurance. But since the damage is small, it might be worth it because of the deductible.
Now you have to chase the guy for the money! But if he doesn't have insurance it'll catch up to him. Yall got into an accident and everything has been reported. He'll get that huge ticket.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1067 upvotes
Mississauga
If the other driver was not charged than it's hearsay as to who is at fault unless you have witnessess that will come forward.

If the other driver does not have insurance then which insurance company does your insurance want to speak to?

If the other driver was caught at the scene with no insurance rather then no proof of insurance, last I heard the fine was at least $2000.00 if not more.

Did you verify that the information that you recieved is in fact the person that hit you and that the car in question is owned by the other person?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16014 posts
6197 upvotes
It could be the other driver was unaware (not that they were not notified, but chose not to make themselves aware) that their insurance was not valid. Perhaps they missed a payment or their coverage lapsed on them. It does happen.

This explains why they "might not be covered" and that your insurance company wants to talk to theirs. If they had no insurance at all then your insurance company would have no one to talk to, but it sounds like they had insurance, at least at one point, with the company that issued the seemingly valid pink card.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9324 posts
1892 upvotes
Somewhere
Your insurance company will pay you for your damages.

You will be responsible for the deductible.

If the guy has no insurance, you insurance will bill him for the full amount of the damages. IF he pays up, your insurance will reimburse your deductible. If not, you're SOL for your deductible.

If you're deemed not at fault by the insurance company, your premium will not increase.
:confused:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7627 posts
1510 upvotes
Either way, you will be given the option to repair or not.

Depends on outcome, you can decide then. For now let insurance do their work.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
1753 posts
50 upvotes
Thanks all for your reply. Lots of experts on rfd =)

Liability has already been determined that the other party is at fault.

I mean, I was rear ended and he knows he's at fault.

And that is why I am stunned when the driver at the time decided to go through insurance instead of paying up a few hundred to take care of it personally...

So what is your recommended action? Corporate with the other insurance company and help with the investigation?

Guess that's the only way...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2711 posts
305 upvotes
Please go through insurance and the police so you can get this guy off the road. Thank you.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
iEyeCaptain wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 2:25 pm
Your insurance company will pay you for your damages.

You will be responsible for the deductible.

If the guy has no insurance, you insurance will bill him for the full amount of the damages. IF he pays up, your insurance will reimburse your deductible. If not, you're SOL for your deductible.

If you're deemed not at fault by the insurance company, your premium will not increase.
What if he only has liability coverage? Does that mean his insurer won't pay for any repairs?

In Ontario, isn't your insurance responsible to pay if the other driver was uninsured, even if you only have liability? From what I understand, insurance collects a little bit each month to cover damages caused by uninsured drivers.

But I guess in the end, you can sue the other driver for the repair amount.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2011
1860 posts
368 upvotes
Vancouver
CJJ25 wrote:
Jan 24th, 2013 4:31 pm
Thanks all for your reply. Lots of experts on rfd =)

Liability has already been determined that the other party is at fault.

I mean, I was rear ended and he knows he's at fault.

And that is why I am stunned when the driver at the time decided to go through insurance instead of paying up a few hundred to take care of it personally...

So what is your recommended action? Corporate with the other insurance company and help with the investigation?

Guess that's the only way...
Whatever happens, don't let the insurance company pick the repair facility. They'll do a s##t job repairing your car. See my post "BELAIR DIRECT..." Conclusion: pick your own repair shop.
Oct 17, 2010
173 posts
10 upvotes
Kitchener
A Mexican with no insurance rear ended me,
when I first found out he was Mexican I didn't want to discriminate against him for what rusty old car he was driving .. and eventually finding out he had no insurance.

It was my first time getting into an accident so I wasn't sure what to do and I only got his phone number and license plate number.
Then I found out if it's not your fault at all (with my insurance) your premiums won't go up.

I filed a police report the next day, YOU MUST DO IT WITHIN 24 HOURS OF THE ACCIDENT or else your insurance company won't give a ***** .
Then I explained to my insurance company what happened and had a police report to back up my story.

They went after him and found out he had no insurance was he was being extremely dodgey by avoiding phone calls with my insurance company and the police.
My insurance company paid for everything and they're putting the finance bills on him, but since he's being dodgey they're going to sue his ***** now.

1. Get a police report ASAP .. hopefully within the 24 hour frame; you're at an advantage because it's not your fault and the opposite party has no insurance.
2. Let your insurance do the work, most likely will force him to pay and if he doesn't they will sue his ***** .
http://www.youtube.com/Shimmy
^ 250,000+ subscribers & 25+ million views