Entertainment

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A MOVIE? Heavens NO!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2005 7:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: A MOVIE? Heavens NO!

I just watched the trailer for this movie when I had gone to watch constantine.
See the trailer here

Now, I dunno if it was me, but the trailer didn't seem funny at all. And in retrospect, THGTTG is a book that can and should never be made into a movie. Not that its technically impossible (LOTR is an example to the contrary). However, the humour is so unconventional, and unique, that even shown as a british comedic miniseries the idea didn't translate well. And now to Americanize/Hollywoodize the concept and brilliance that was/is Hitchhiker's guide is just pathetic.

Anyways, the average American doesn't quite "get" British humour, this is going to go totally over the heads of a lot, unless it is dumbed down. And that is going to alienate a lot of people who should potentially read the book. A lot of newer books are butchered by the hollywood. But this is a cult-classic that has been adored and revered for years.

Should have just left this one alone.. :(
5 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
I thought the trailer was great! I can't wait, it sucks that I'll be in detroit though when it opens. :(
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
Lol , were you at the same screening of Constantine ;)

I notice you are from Saint John as well.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
3787 posts
67 upvotes
i think there is a very large group of hitchhikers' fans that will see it no matter how bad the reviews are (not to say that they are bad, yet). the number of douglas adams fans out there, worldwide, number in the millions, probably enough to make the movie profitable.

i do agree that making a movie out of this story may be problemmatic. the t.v. series was enjoyable as a kid, but mostly unwatchable as an adult.

i really hope they do a good job of it, and incite more people to read the "increasingly inaccurate" trilogy of books. :)
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2004
4154 posts
128 upvotes
afong56 wrote:i think there is a very large group of hitchhikers' fans that will see it no matter how bad the reviews are (not to say that they are bad, yet). the number of douglas adams fans out there, worldwide, number in the millions, probably enough to make the movie profitable.

i do agree that making a movie out of this story may be problemmatic. the t.v. series was enjoyable as a kid, but mostly unwatchable as an adult.

i really hope they do a good job of it, and incite more people to read the "increasingly inaccurate" trilogy of books. :)
LOL. I hear ya. I will certainly watch it, no matter how terrible it is (which I certainly hope it isnt). And inspite of all my reservations, I have to tip my hat to the fact that someone was bold enough to attempt a movie out of the book. That in itself is quite a feat. Well we'll have to wait and watch.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
porphyra wrote:Lol , were you at the same screening of Constantine ;)

I notice you are from Saint John as well.
No, I just watched the trailer online....

I guess there have been some test screening (although with an unfinished product) and the reviews have been good.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)