Computers & Electronics

Hitron CODA 4582 (Rogers Gigabit) with TP-Link Kasa smart home - maximum connections?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 27th, 2018 3:37 am
[OP]
Oct 21, 2005
468 posts
243 upvotes

Hitron CODA 4582 (Rogers Gigabit) with TP-Link Kasa smart home - maximum connections?

I have this modem/router from Rogers and I also have a lot of TP-Link Kasa smart home items (switches, lights, plugs, etc) which only run on 2.4 GHz. I seem to have hit a limit where anything new I add won't sync up properly. Is there a limit on how many 2.4 GHz connections can be active on this modem/router?? I can buy a better router and put it into bridge mode, but I want to make sure that'll fix the problem. Anybody else have experience with this? I've googled around a lot and can't find anything. I figured asking here where a lot of people have the same modem/router might help.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1274 posts
757 upvotes
LBJackal wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 12:05 pm
I have this modem/router from Rogers and I also have a lot of TP-Link Kasa smart home items (switches, lights, plugs, etc) which only run on 2.4 GHz. I seem to have hit a limit where anything new I add won't sync up properly. Is there a limit on how many 2.4 GHz connections can be active on this modem/router?? I can buy a better router and put it into bridge mode, but I want to make sure that'll fix the problem. Anybody else have experience with this? I've googled around a lot and can't find anything. I figured asking here where a lot of people have the same modem/router might help.
Is this the white box router?

I have the black standing box router and have a boat load of wifi outlets and a bunch of wifi bulbs connected and haven't had any issues your describing.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2005
468 posts
243 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 5:33 pm
Is this the white box router?

I have the black standing box router and have a boat load of wifi outlets and a bunch of wifi bulbs connected and haven't had any issues your describing.
Yeah it's the white box one. A lot of the smart home stuff requires a hub, like the Philips Hue stuff. But all mine are TP-Link which connect directly to the router, which might be too many connections I guess?? Like I said, an easy fix if all I need is a new router, but I don't know a) if a new router would help, or b) what specs it would need. It's much harder to find info on this than I thought it'd be.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30047 posts
4743 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The limit is technically 254 devices (C Class Subnet)

But your router may have 100 set for the DHCP range

Either, way, I doubt the router is the problem. Can you tell us what problems you're having? What do you mean that it won't sync up properly?
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
1274 posts
757 upvotes
Ya the router should be able to handle IoT devices without ease, especially a gigabit router.

You can always try buying a cheap router then hardwire it to the Rogers router and use it exclusively for your connected devices.
Jun 21, 2008
398 posts
86 upvotes
mississauga
i had the same issue, was with cannet, techicolor modem, tp-link router and maxing out at 13 wifi devices. Got the rogers ignite 500/20 plan and problem SEEMS to be gone, further testing in progress