• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 2:31 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto

hittheroad.ca<--- Anyone?

anyone used this website before?? basically its an agency to link travelers up with car owners to help the owners ship their cars, while the traveler gets to the destination for free + compensations for gas and etc.

Seems like a very cheap way to see Canada if you camp along the way/sleep in the car +cook your own food with portable stove and food from supermarkets.

Anyone have experiences doing this?
33 replies
Dec 31, 2005
64 posts
5 upvotes
The guy that runs it, is very dis-organized (Dave). He left me hanging on a trip. We set up up a departure date and then as that date was coming closer he would not return any emails. I had to change all my travel plans at the last second. I was quite flexable with my dates but just didnt hear from him. Very dissappointing.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
Maybe it's the worrywart in me, but driving a stranger's vehicle across the border does not sound appealing to me.
May 24, 2012
10 posts
Hello.

My name is David Smaller. I run HitTheRoad.ca

I would like to offer my answers to any questions you may have.

Also, I would like to direct anyone to the travel blogs of some recent HitTheRoad.ca drivers. They have shared some of their own experiences from their HitTheRoad.ca road trips. They offer a great opportunity to hear some first hand HitTheRoad.ca experiences.
    [B]Avid Traveller Marisa[/B] recently drove from Florida to Ontario for us. Her HitTheRoad.ca blog article can be found at [url=http://clevertravel.ca/an-inspiring-way-to-travel/][B]CleverTravel.ca[/B][/url]
    [B]Travel Writer Carolyn B. Heller[/B] drove one of our cars from Vancouver BC to Southern California. She writes about her HitTheRoad experience at [url=http://wanderlustandlipstick.com/blogs/wanderfood/2012/05/15/wanderfood-wednesday-want-to-take-your-own-hit-the-road-hungry-road-trip-heres-how/][B]Wanderlust and Lipstick[/B][/url]
Kuurgen, you will see that both of the above trips crossed the Canada / US border - and without problems. We are US and Canadian Customs recognized. When we send cars across the border, we know what we are doing. We make sure that everything is done completely safely and legally. I would not send a car that I would not drive myself.

PUMPI134, I am sorry that you left with a bad taste in your mouth. It is a little difficult for me to reply to an anonymous, vague allegation. I am really not sure about the circumstances that you allude to. If you would like to provide more information, I would be happy to respond. I might ask that we try to keep the discussion professional, respectful and that we avoid personal attacks.

If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer. I welcome any reader of this who is interested in a road trip to please consider applying to drive with HitTheRoad.ca - we are always looking for new drivers.

David Smaller
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
^ wow thanks dave, its pretty awsome to have the owner here to answer my question lol

my question is that I am a university student, been driving 4 years, was rear ended so had not at fault accident, and a minor ticket two years ago( not speeding )

would i be eligible to drive with my family friend?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
if i want to drive from toronto to saskatchewan and back sometime next week is that possible?
May 24, 2012
10 posts
Hello Kunman

We would really need to see your driving history on that. Also, for the vast majority of trips, drivers must be 25 years or older. There are some exceptions. However, these are rare.

Thank you for posting the link to our Available Cars Page. Trips from Toronto to West are common this time of year ( Spring and Summer ). However, most trips - especially round trips - would require some flexibility on the part of the driver.

We have several trips available East / West right now!

David Smaller
HitTheRoad.ca
May 24, 2012
10 posts
Hey thepersianguy

We might have a trip to Saskatoon available. Not confirmed yet. But possible.
Interested?
Please see the application process at HitTheRoad.ca
Looking forward to hearing from you.

David Smaller
HitTheRoad.ca
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2006
1851 posts
321 upvotes
What happens if you get into an accident with someone else's car?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2006
2698 posts
80 upvotes
Etobicoke
HitTheRoad wrote: Hey thepersianguy

We might have a trip to Saskatoon available. Not confirmed yet. But possible.
Interested?
Please see the application process at HitTheRoad.ca
Looking forward to hearing from you.

David Smaller
HitTheRoad.ca

hey david,
thanks for the update but the thing i needed to drive over ended up being shipped on account so i'm not in urgent need anymore, however i may still be interested. i'll check the link you posted. any ideas about the way back? how would that work out?
thanks
May 24, 2012
10 posts
Jyeatbvg69 wrote: What happens if you get into an accident with someone else's car?

Thank you for this question. We believe that there are "no accidents." However, all vehicles driven are covered by standard automobile insurance.
In the ( hopefully ) unlikely event of a collision, the drivers personal liability is limited to $500. Before you can HitTheRoad.ca all drivers must provide a delivery confirmation deposit of $500. At time of pick up and drop off at vehicle inspection is conducted. After the car is returned by the driver in the same condition that it was picked up, the driver has their deposit returned.

Fore more information, please see the HitTheRoad.ca FAQs

HitTheRoad.ca
Delivering your vehicle to you
Jun 4, 2008
47 posts
34 upvotes
Hello all,

Stumbled upon this thread.

I drove a car with hittheroad.ca from Toronto to Hallandale, Florida last fall. The experience was generally excellent. David explained the process well and the border was painless. The owner of the vehicle was an older lady who was kind and easy to deal with. I even received a text from her grandson wishing me happy holidays months after the drive.

There was a fair amount of preparation needed so you really need to be fully committed from the get-go. Everything is basically explained in the FAQ although I recommend getting further clarification of the exact border-crossing process which David has available in a seperate document.

Note that this is an experience for a specific type of traveller/situation. It's certainly not going to work for everyone. You can't be too fussy or demanding about anything as the vehicle owner is promised a certain level of driver competency (ie no major infractions) and exact delivery date. If you can't meet these standards it's probably not realistic to expect David, and by extension the owner, to change them for you. He did however allow me to leave one day later which greatly helped my situation.

If anyone has any questions about my experience I would be very happy to answer in this thread or via a PM.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2005
1042 posts
24 upvotes
Outside of Vancouver
Super Glad i found this..

I love driving..

and im signing up to be a drive right now..

Will post my Experience. when it happens..

:-)
Shut your Mouth when you speak to me.
Aug 27, 2007
16 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Pumpi134 is pretty accurate in their general assessment of Hit the Road. If you're interested in a full review of what it is like to drive for hittheroad.ca and the good/bad that may come with it, read this:
A Word of Warning about HittheRoad.ca
May 24, 2012
10 posts
There certainly are many variables to any kind of travel. That starts with the person doing the travel.

People driving for HitTheRoad.ca have had bad experiences, such as the one mentioned above who wasn't able to effectively look after the car in his care.

Please have had good experiences, such as ERCC and also the author of this HitTheRoad.ca review: [url]http://clevertravel.ca/an-inspiring-way-to-travel/[/url].

What you get out of it is very much dependent on what you bring to it. Luckily the overwhelming majority have good experiences, or HitTheRoad.ca would not be in business!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)