Travel

From HK to Canada: can we bring back beef jerky?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2016 11:01 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 12, 2012
763 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto
Just eat it all on the airplane. There's nothing like a beef-jerky-fest 30000ft up!
The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful than a thousand heads bowing in prayer.
- Mahatma Gandhi
Oct 5, 2010
345 posts
143 upvotes
I bring jerky back from Baker, California all the time and never had a problem.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3627 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
Certainly according to the link its okay from the States. We had biltong confiscated coming back from S. Africa (which we had declared). I never realized the rules were different from the US vs. other countries.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Will they fine you if you still declare it or will they just confiscate it?
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
1380 posts
144 upvotes
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 9:29 am
Nope. I don't think there's ever punishment for declared items.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1661 posts
741 upvotes
Toronto
Just finished my package of Bee Cheng Hiang (Singapore style jerky ) which someone gave me in Singapore. I just placed the package in my check-in and didn't declared it.

Custom had opened my bag but didn't removed the jerky. My brother was on the same flight and he had no problems with the jerky in his check-in.

This was Pearson airport, I think Vancouver airport might be more restrict.

My brother and me got thru, but it's YMMV.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3627 posts
1072 upvotes
Toronto
Chingyul wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 9:49 am
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 9:29 am
Nope. I don't think there's ever punishment for declared items.
There was no fine for when we declared our items and had them confiscated.
Jan 9, 2011
285 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Directly from the Automated Inport Reference System of the CFIA:

Import Details for Requirement : 28371 Version : 14

HS Description : 160250
Preparations of meat, of fish, crustaceans, molluscs and other aquatic invertebrates
Other prepared or preserved meat, meat offal or blood.
Of bovine animals

OGD Extension : 552315
Beef - hermetically sealed
Beef jerky - pouch

Origin : HK
AS
Asia
HK
Hong Kong

End Use : 46
Travellers & Personal use and not for resale or distribution

Recommendations to CBSA/Documentation and Registration Requirements

Refuse Entry
Importer / Broker Instructions

CONDITIONS OF IMPORT

****PERSONAL SHIPMENTS OF MEAT (MAXIMUM 20 KG) ACCOMPANIED BY AN OFFICIAL EXPORT CERTIFICATE ARE TO BE REFERRED TO ONE OF CFIA'S IMPORT SERVICE CENTER ****

From any country* a maximum of 20 kg of commercially prepared sterile** (shelf stable) meat per person in sealed tin cans or glass jars is allowed without export certification. Homemade canned meat products are prohibited except if from the USA and accompanied by proof of origin acceptable to Customs. Meat cooked in other hermetically sealed** and impermeable packaging may also be imported for personal use if it is commercially prepared.

* Cooked canned meat of bovine, ovine or caprine origin is only permitted entry countries considered to be of negligible BSE-risk. These countries are: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherland, New Zealand, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Singapore, Slovenia, Sweden, United States of America and Uruguay
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2001 posts
431 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 9:44 pm
Once you declare, they are going to pull you in and search everything.
miumiu wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 9:06 am
Hey there,

Currently travelling in Hong Kong and bought a bag of dried, packaged (vacuum sealed) beef jerky. I'm wondering if Canadian customs will give me problems for this? We will declare it, however, would like to know if there is a chance they will confiscate it.

Thanks in advance!
This is 100% false
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2001 posts
431 upvotes
I think I had my jerky confiscated once in vancouver. It was no big deal - though I wouldn't count on that. Customs officers were really nice.

Ironically, I think I had some dried seafood snacks from that place Aji Ichiban - like dried scallops or mussells or whatever, and it was allowed.
Also I think my dried mango, also from Aji Ichiban was allowed too.

The worst thing you can do it not declare it, keep denying it, and piss off the customs officer.
I fly sort of often for personal and business - the last thing I want is to be put on a watchlist.

I declare everything. As long as its in the rules, there's nothing to be scared of.
A few times the customs officers actually thanked me for being honest and declaring something. I guess a lot of people just fill in ZERO for everything out of laziness/convenience.
At least if you declare something incorrectly, it can be viewed as an honest mistake. If you get caught declaring nothing at all, and then they find a stash in your luggage, then they won't be so lenient on you. Its just human nature.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4293 posts
302 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote:
Nov 1st, 2016 7:19 pm
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Oct 27th, 2016 9:44 pm
Once you declare, they are going to pull you in and search everything.
miumiu wrote:
Nov 17th, 2012 9:06 am
Hey there,

Currently travelling in Hong Kong and bought a bag of dried, packaged (vacuum sealed) beef jerky. I'm wondering if Canadian customs will give me problems for this? We will declare it, however, would like to know if there is a chance they will confiscate it.

Thanks in advance!
This is 100% false
I flew home from Taiwan in Sept and had several packs of dried prunes and other local dried fruit and some baked goods.

I did declare I had food. Had to answer the same questions with three different agents along with the 1.5l of extra whiskey I had.

I was not searched on exit.