Nov 27, 2006
1006 posts
4 upvotes
tkddad wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 3:22 pm
Some were caught with hidden camera to have salvaged the
yolks of unsold mooncakes, freezed them and used them for
the following year.
Worse was I saw one hidden camera show that showed a dumpling shop soak cardboard (all types ones with wax, etc) in some chemical to make it mushy. They would grind that up and mix some meat (I think it was 30% pork, 70% cardboard) and use that as stuffing for dumplings.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
Kranberry wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 3:42 pm
Worse was I saw one hidden camera show that showed a dumpling shop soak cardboard (all types ones with wax, etc) in some chemical to make it mushy. They would grind that up and mix some meat (I think it was 30% pork, 70% cardboard) and use that as stuffing for dumplings.
I've seen the one where they soaked used disaposable chopsticks in chemical to soften it then soaked it in vinegar and other seasoning to become preserved vegetable! gross!!!
;)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
Kranberry wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 3:42 pm
That one was proven to have been faked.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNe ... 9620070719
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2005
1221 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
tet8suo wrote:
Sep 5th, 2008 12:43 pm
Costco is selling mooncakes too, $11 for a box of 4, made in Macau.
If you read the box closely, it is made in China, but perhaps packed in Macau.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
jjtsl wrote:
Sep 6th, 2008 6:10 pm
If you read the box closely, it is made in China, but perhaps packed in Macau.
actually..cos the name is called "Macau....something"......but they are made in China
;)
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2005
1928 posts
15 upvotes
Scarborough
I was browsing around T&T tonight, and was looking at the T&T Bakery boxes - very pretty - large and mini ones. Had already put a box into my basket, when the store packer comes out. She was putting the loose ones also says T&T Bakery, address is T&T in BC, on the shelves. I check out the big box she's unpacking from and it says "product of China", so I wonder if any are actually being made by T&T in Canada.

Anyhow I picked up a box made in Taiwan by Hunya. Hope they're edible!
May 27, 2007
15654 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto
Haha yeh i bought a single lotus mooncake from T&T for like $7... expensive. :|
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14656 posts
1457 upvotes
artsreview wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 3:16 pm
Come on man, a once-a-year treat and you want to cheap out?? Get the Wing Wah! Enjoy yourself! Or buy some lotus paste, mix egg yellow and have it with paranthas. Save your money, as the guy with the accent says.
I never really liked Chinese pastries, or Chinese desserts for that matter. I find them bland in comparison to french/european pastries.

Moon cakes taste more like a meal than a dessert.

But that's my opinion.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2003
3237 posts
30 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 2:59 pm
lately... 10 ppl have died from CANADIAN produced food (see maple leaf).
0 people have died from Made in China food...
Bahhahahhahahwhwhwhhw.. are you even serious?

The difference is here in Canada, they would have a recall.
In China, they would just keep on selling everything, safe or not.

I trust HK or Taiwan, but I try to avoid MadeInChina food stuff.
The RFD Doctrine -
Toronto : Anywhere west of Montreal and east of Calgary.
Scarborough: Anywhere becomes Scarborough if it's a thread about crime.
UrbanPoet: Automatic 1-Star thread starter.
Google: RFD is faster than Google. Make a thread if you need to find out what bus to take.
Mar 26, 2008
205 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
From what I know, the Ambassador Group (like Tin Po Kok, City Inn, Chung Chow "Spring Autumn") makes their Mooncake locally in GTA, it says on their box "no preservatives". I have a box at home, no little packets of perservatives found.

And your mooncakes are made in China. But here's the scary part: Those pre-packaged (ie Wing Wah, Mei Sum, etc) mooncakes are done at least 6 mths ago. The logistics: takes 1 mth to manufacture them, 1 mth stored at their storage while waiting for shipment, 60-90 days shipment lead time. And for those in GTA, these are stored in the GVA storage for another 1-2 weeks until a truck will drive them over to GTA, and yes, this takes about 3-7 days AGAIN. And that's not all, it sits at room temperature at your local retail store until you take it home.

That little package of perservatives really has a purpose!~
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
1054 posts
15 upvotes
SiuBun wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 2:54 pm
From what I know, the Ambassador Group (like Tin Po Kok, City Inn, Chung Chow "Spring Autumn") makes their Mooncake locally in GTA, it says on their box "no preservatives". I have a box at home, no little packets of perservatives found.

And your mooncakes are made in China. But here's the scary part: Those pre-packaged (ie Wing Wah, Mei Sum, etc) mooncakes are done at least 6 mths ago. The logistics: takes 1 mth to manufacture them, 1 mth stored at their storage while waiting for shipment, 60-90 days shipment lead time. And for those in GTA, these are stored in the GVA storage for another 1-2 weeks until a truck will drive them over to GTA, and yes, this takes about 3-7 days AGAIN. And that's not all, it sits at room temperature at your local retail store until you take it home.

Aren't the preservatives in the ingredients of the cake and not outside?
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
553 upvotes
rdtx2002 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2008 2:38 pm
:confused: :confused:

aren't you being a tad too paranoid?
not really...buying a clothing made in china is one thing, having relatives operate restaurants in china and the stories of counterfeit salt, flour with chemicals is enough to scare me off and avoid them when possible
Deal Fanatic
Oct 17, 2006
5309 posts
273 upvotes
SiuBun wrote:
Sep 9th, 2008 2:54 pm

No perservatives means they do not add perservative in the mooncake during the production ...external pkgs doesn't count
;)
Feb 1, 2008
712 posts
16 upvotes
I personally think that, if you want something inexpensive, usually local bakeries or restaurants would sell their own brand at good prices. If you want to try something that, IMO, tastes better or have that "traditional taste", stick with the big brand names (ie- Maxim Bakery, Yue Heung, etc). You can get those at any asian supermarkets.

My tip is, if you wait till friday, you can actually get the big brands at discounted prices. Even today, there are already some that have a $5 off deal or buy 1 get 1 free.

Has anyone noticed that this year, there seems to be more emphasis on packaging? The tin boxes this year look much more elaborate than prior years, and there seems to be more incentives when you buy one (ie- free gift bag, free small mooncake, etc)
Jan 22, 2006
256 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
if you want to try a different kind of mooncake besides your traditional ones, you could always go to Tenrens Tea Shop and get their green tea mooncakes. I had it last year and it was amazing =]
× < >