• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2013 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
716 upvotes
Beware, utorrent and other torrent apps for some versions using a SOCKS5 proxy, especially the older versions, leak your real ip to the tracker, and from there the tracker sends it to the peers, revealing your real ip address.

It is not the fault of the proxy, but rather with the bittorrent app that isnt programmed properly.

You have several options without using a proxy to prevent the occasional VPN drops that will happen with any VPN:

The following uses Windows firewall to block your bittorent app from using the internet (in or out) unless it is through the Public network (which is your VPN as you shouldnt place your VPN network as private): http://practicalrambler.blogspot.co.uk/ ... s-use.html

http://checkmytorrentip.com/# go to FAQ #4, to manually remove the route to the router after you connect to the vpn. But the drawback is that you no longer have a route to the router meaning no file/printer sharing with the rest of the network, and if you forget to put the route back into netstat then you wont have internet after disconnecting from the internet. This method is 100% effective provided you remember to use it.

You also have the option of trying to use your non-windows firewall to allow connections for the bittorrent app to anything other than your local area connection ips, if you can get it working. Commodo doesnt seem to work properly for some rules for some reason.

You can skip VPNetMon as it doesnt close the app in time if the VPN drops, and will expose your ip for a few secs after the drop. The VPN Kill Switch feature in PIA doesnt seem to work consistently either. I suggest the first 2 things I mentioned above for security.
Aug 1, 2008
874 posts
65 upvotes
Vancouver
weedb0y wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 6:40 pm
Yes, you can use PP2P to get it going. Even $11 dollar routers allow that now.
When you say get it going, with stock firmware will I be able to get good speeds with VPN from say PIA? I don't think I want to flash to DDR-WRT and have limited experience with full configuration of routers. Is it simple enough (are there good instructions with PIA when signing up) to setup my router with VPN service and be properly hidden (with stock firmware... or is it recommended to upgrade?)

Is there an idiots guide to properly setting up a router for VPN?
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1539 posts
222 upvotes
Kitchener
artofwar wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 7:46 pm
When you say get it going, with stock firmware will I be able to get good speeds with VPN from say PIA? I don't think I want to flash to DDR-WRT and have limited experience with full configuration of routers. Is it simple enough (are there good instructions with PIA when signing up) to setup my router with VPN service and be properly hidden (with stock firmware... or is it recommended to upgrade?)

I 2nd this request for an idiots guide :lol:
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12199 posts
1036 upvotes
Mississauga
artofwar wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 7:46 pm

Yuppers. ;)

1) Have a main router.
2) Have another router dedicated to VPN only. I have mine connected to my main router by using a ethernet cable connected to 2nd router's WAN port. Afterwards, I selected a different subnet (instead of typical 192.168.1.1, I chose 192.168.2.1) to avoid any network conflicts.

In the 2nd router, follow this diagram (every router has that)

Just replace the address with one from pia.

Expect typical of 4-5MB -- good enough for me. I am using this setup to watch US netflix and using their client for other uses on my laptop directly.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2008
1490 posts
251 upvotes
weedb0y wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 4:50 am
Yuppers. ;)

1) Have a main router.
2) Have another router dedicated to VPN only. I have mine connected to my main router by using a ethernet cable connected to 2nd router's WAN port. Afterwards, I selected a different subnet (instead of typical 192.168.1.1, I chose 192.168.2.1) to avoid any network conflicts.

In the 2nd router, follow this diagram (every router has that)

Just replace the address with one from pia.

Expect typical of 4-5MB -- good enough for me. I am using this setup to watch US netflix and using their client for other uses on my laptop directly.
If I do this, will I be able to access the US Netflix (or any VPN-ed content for that matter) through clients connected to the main router? Also, my router (E4200) has a VPN option... should I just go through that directly instead of having to setup a 2nd router? Thanks

EDIT: Nvm... it's VPN passthrough lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1773 posts
232 upvotes
Red Deer
After a few teething issues with PIA, I'm loving it now. On the mac side with uTorrent the VPN is working great, download speeds are decent. It just seems slow to spool up on initial connection but it settles nicely after a while. Love the Kill Switch and DNS Leak protection built-in to the mac client. Still have issues with uTorrent and their Socks5 Proxy server but I think I'm just gonna use their VPN instead. Their tech support is prompt too, on two occasions they emailed me back within the hour to resolve the issue.

Also tested their VPN on iOS for US Netflix and it worked like a charm.
Apr 30, 2008
416 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
Well for those who are getting HMA and use torrents, expect to get emails like that (at least if you use US servers):

Dear customer,

We have received a file sharing complaint and the date, time, and IP address provided matches the date, time, and IP address your VPN account was in use. Illegal file sharing is against our terms of service and we cannot ignore breach of copyright complaints, as such we kindly ask you to stop sharing said files to comply with this request. Please note repeated offences may result in permanent suspension.

################################
Reference: ###
Title: NNN
Infringement Source: BitTorrent
Infringement Timestamp: 2012-12-01
Infringing Filename: nnnnn.avi
Infringing File size:
Infringers IP Address: n.n.n.n

#############################

Why did I receive this complaint?
Anti-piracy companies automatically monitor public bit-torrent trackers usually for US IP addresses that are involved in illegally sharing copyrighted material. These companies then send a file sharing complaint to the underlying ISP behind the IP address, and this ISP then forwards the complaint on to us. We are legally required to forward on the complaint to the suspected customer.

Are you monitoring my traffic?
We do not log or monitor your internet traffic, we have no evidence that suggests you have downloaded the specified material, only the date/time you were using our service.

Is my information being handed over to the complaint company?
No.

Regards,
HMA! Team
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10562 posts
4818 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Um, don't use US servers!
(except for Netflix and other US region restricted content)
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10562 posts
4818 upvotes
Southern Ontario
shmeli wrote:
Dec 15th, 2012 4:27 pm
I couldn't find it, is this still on?
No, it was pm Best Direct, apply $50 off $150 Staples coupon.
Those were huge coupons, long expired now.
Apr 30, 2008
416 posts
104 upvotes
Waterloo
AncasterRFD wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 12:45 pm
Um, don't use US servers!
(except for Netflix and other US region restricted content)
Rookie mistake.

So far I am not impressed with speed and all. Had to disconnect for skype for example as video would get choppy. It also changes ip, country automatically sometimes even though I have it disabled(load balancing and scheduled ip change) might be some option I haven't found yet. Have to speed test each time I connect as some servers are much slower then others and I mean 1Mbit/s slow which is annoying.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4435 posts
1678 upvotes
So I decided to buy the N66U, however I'm not able to configure it with my OpenVPN provider. I installed the Merlin firmware. I initially considered the tomato firmware but I had trouble updating it with instructions on the Internet, it would just say that my IP is invalid. Also DD-WRT implementation looks problematic and incomplete on this, forcing you to make relatively complex modifications.

How did you guys did it? I tried to do my best and I copied pasted my certificates and keys in the appropriate places in the control panel, but it just tells me that the TLS handshake is rejected.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4435 posts
1678 upvotes
Sweet it is working, thanks a lot!

Now I'll try to setup a VPN server so I can access my router remotely when I'm using my laptop over unencrypted wi-fi connections in restaurants and the like.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12199 posts
1036 upvotes
Mississauga
saffant wrote:
Dec 16th, 2012 6:09 am
If I do this, will I be able to access the US Netflix (or any VPN-ed content for that matter) through clients connected to the main router? Also, my router (E4200) has a VPN option... should I just go through that directly instead of having to setup a 2nd router? Thanks

EDIT: Nvm... it's VPN passthrough lol.
Yup but since I don't want my rest of the network to slow down, I am just using a dedicated router for my US content needs. (ipad, appletv and playbook are on it).