Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

HMA VPN - Hide My A$$ - $59.99US for 1 year 24% off

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2013 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
hobbystuff wrote: I have been very happy with unblockus. I didn't realize a VPN affected your speeds- I have never noticed anything!
I use mainly for netflix and now with unblockus you can change your settings in your account and watch other countries... ie Ireland, US , UK, etc. http://www.homegiftandgarden.org/2012/1 ... in-canada/

Are my speeds being affected??
You haven't noticed a change in speed because unblockus isn't a VPN it's a proxy service. They even claim that VPN won't work on streaming devices. Guess they never heard of a BoxeeBox or installing DD-WRT or Tomato on a router :)
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
bash1979 wrote: How are you getting full speeds using the RT-N16? There must be some degradation, no?
I'm using a server 400 miles from me and with or without OpenVPN running there is zero change in DL speeds or ping. Running test with http://www.speedtest.net/

I'm running 4 routers. 1 with OpenVPN, 1 with PPTP and the other 2 with no VPN. The first router is connected to the cable modem, second router running OpenVPN connected to the first router. I'm running 2 networks on this desktop (wired) so I run the speedtest on this desktop switching between routers and there is no significant change.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
So, how do you run a VPN and a voip adapter at the same time? Wouldn't the voip think you're in a different country and charge you long distance for non-LD calls?
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
hagbard wrote: So, how do you run a VPN and a voip adapter at the same time? Wouldn't the voip think you're in a different country and charge you long distance for non-LD calls?
I don't have a VOIP adaptor. First router (DIR-615) running DD-WRT (for bridging) is running no VPN and is connected to the cable provider internet modem. The second router (RT-N16) is connected from it's WAN port to the LAN port of the DIR-615 and is running OpenVPN on Tomato. The other 2 routers are access points for wireless IP cameras. This setup gives me the ability to connect to the outside world with or without VPN easily. It's also easier to access my security cameras from the outside world since the routers they connect to are access points for the Non-VPN router.

As for VOIP, I use RogersOneNumber :)

Just a note from anyone interested in Rogers. Rogers claims the service won't work over VPN, not true. If anyone is using PIA and the Rogers webphone you'll have to select a specific PIA server since not all are configured for VOIP. I found one in NY that works fine.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
garetjax wrote: My HMA expired and went to renew, to my pleasant surprise it is 24% off regular price of $78.66. On sale for 24 more days...

They also have discounted 1 month to $9.99 and 6 month to $39.99.

Great product. I use it for access to US content blocked in Canada, secure access at public hotspots, among other things ;) .

http://hidemyass.com/vpn/
Just to let you know, HMA is more than happy to supply logs, Google it it.

If price is important then PIA at $3.33 per month is hard to beat.

BTW I have no association with PIA, I just like them a lot. I've been through 5 providers and they seem to be a clear cut winner.
Jan 1, 2008
139 posts
44 upvotes
Toronto
spinbot wrote: For those using PIA, are you familiar with what router is best ? Does the ASUS RT-N16 pack enough processing power with DD-WRT or Tomato USB? Or should one look for something different? I have a WRT54GS Linksys that I cannot get in to (tried multiple 30-30-30 resets). I also have a Linksys WRT54GL that is running Tomato MLPPP, so I'd have to flash that or the other option I have is a MicroTik RouterBoard RB751U-2HnD , but it doesn't appear to have a firmware flash for it, despite it having more than enough memory/processing.
I am using PIA with WRT54GS. It did take me a few days to figure out the setting. Turned out the DD-WRT tutorial on PIA's website is good, at least for the OpenVPN that I am using. The key is to choose the right firmware. I ended up with 18946 vpn jffs small and everything worked out smoothly.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
colasonic wrote: I am using PIA with WRT54GS. It did take me a few days to figure out the setting. Turned out the DD-WRT tutorial on PIA's website is good, at least for the OpenVPN that I am using. The key is to choose the right firmware. I ended up with 18946 vpn jffs small and everything worked out smoothly.
I run both DD-WRT and Tomato, Tomato is better IMHO. The only real problem with the PIA Tomato setup is the instructions for username and password.

They have:

echo <username> >> /tmp/password.txt
echo <password> >> /tmp/password.txt

When it should be:

echo "username" > /tmp/password.txt
echo "password" >> /tmp/password.txt
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6697 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
colasonic wrote: I am using PIA with WRT54GS. It did take me a few days to figure out the setting. Turned out the DD-WRT tutorial on PIA's website is good, at least for the OpenVPN that I am using. The key is to choose the right firmware. I ended up with 18946 vpn jffs small and everything worked out smoothly.
PIA is terrible, slow as hell, cancelled my service with them 3 days after I got it.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Izzy_Deadyet wrote: I don't have a VOIP adaptor. First router (DIR-615) running DD-WRT (for bridging) is running no VPN and is connected to the cable provider internet modem. The second router (RT-N16) is connected from it's WAN port to the LAN port of the DIR-615 and is running OpenVPN on Tomato. The other 2 routers are access points for wireless IP cameras. This setup gives me the ability to connect to the outside world with or without VPN easily. It's also easier to access my security cameras from the outside world since the routers they connect to are access points for the Non-VPN router.

As for VOIP, I use RogersOneNumber :)

Just a note from anyone interested in Rogers. Rogers claims the service won't work over VPN, not true. If anyone is using PIA and the Rogers webphone you'll have to select a specific PIA server since not all are configured for VOIP. I found one in NY that works fine.
No, I want to know...I have a voip device and want to set up VPN on my router. Want to know the best way to do it.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
mysticalinfluence wrote: PIA is terrible, slow as hell, cancelled my service with them 3 days after I got it.
You must work for HMA or Vypr or something :) Everyone I know loves PIA. Maybe your setup? OpenVPN or PPTP?
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
hagbard wrote: No, I want to know...I have a voip device and want to set up VPN on my router. Want to know the best way to do it.
You want to do it behind the VPN? It would be a lot easier with 2 routers plus the VOIP router plus you get the best of both worlds with local and VPN connections. I use some sites here in Quebec that demand a local IP for access.

I have a friend running magicJack behind his VPN and it works like a charm. When I talk to him I can never tell it's a VOIP. magixJack seems pretty inexpensive as well. $20 a year or there about.

Which model router do you want to flash for VPN use?
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
683 upvotes
Vancouver Island
mysticalinfluence wrote: PIA is terrible, slow as hell, cancelled my service with them 3 days after I got it.
I also just cancelled my PIA, but only to switch from monthly to yearly. Honestly, they've been great. I've been using their service for almost three weeks, speeds are very good and their customer service is top notch. I had a question that I emailed them about on Christmas day and I was shocked when they emailed me back an hour later. Also, their VPN client for OSX is slick. Super easy to use with nice built-in features like a Kill Switch and DNS Leak protection. I've never used HMA so I can't comment on their service in comparison but PIA has been awesome for me, and I'm not even using any special router or anything, just my Telus wireless router/modem combo which isn't very configurable anyhow.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
Rob76 wrote: I also just cancelled my PIA, but only to switch from monthly to yearly. Honestly, they've been great. I've been using their service for almost three weeks, speeds are very good and their customer service is top notch. I had a question that I emailed them about on Christmas day and I was shocked when they emailed me back an hour later. Also, their VPN client for OSX is slick. Super easy to use with nice built-in features like a Kill Switch and DNS Leak protection. I've never used HMA so I can't comment on their service in comparison but PIA has been awesome for me, and I'm not even using any special router or anything, just my Telus wireless router/modem combo which isn't very configurable anyhow.
I did the same thing. Cancelled the monthly and went for the yearly. I ran a bunch of test on speednet.net and have no slow downs with PIA. If users are having speed issues they should look at their setups as well as the server they're connecting to. If using a server several thousand miles away there will be slowdowns. Great thing about Canada is that 90% of us live within 100 miles of the US border so getting a close server in the US isn't much of an issue.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2391 posts
683 upvotes
Vancouver Island
Izzy_Deadyet wrote: I did the same thing. Cancelled the monthly and went for the yearly. I ran a bunch of test on speednet.net and have no slow downs with PIA. If users are having speed issues they should look at their setups as well as the server they're connecting to. If using a server several thousand miles away there will be slowdowns. Great thing about Canada is that 90% of us live within 100 miles of the US border so getting a close server in the US isn't much of an issue.
I've been using Romania's servers and didn't notice much in the way of slowdowns, so from my own experience at least it's not just the US servers that perform well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6207 posts
113 upvotes
Ottawa
do you need VPN protection if you are using newsgroups and SSL?
Sep 4, 2006
131 posts
6 upvotes
Anyone try Torguard before?

Online reviews seem decent. How does it compare to PIA?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
There is certainly a slowdown with PIA, but then there has to be a slowdown when you are diverting your traffic like that and bouncing it back to you again on any VPN service.

I thing I did notice was that using Technitium I see that my upload data is much higher than without VPN, and based on a speed profile of 18/0.5 my upload speed is saturated at around 60-70kbytes/sec and my download speed through PIA VPN is up to 1meg/sec.

I suspect if my upload profile were pushed to 2mbit/sec I would get a higher download speed. To download something, you need some upload overhead, and in my case im pretty much saturated. I think on bell 2mbit upload profile I was able to get about 1.5megs/sec through PIA, instead of the 1meg/sec I am right now.

Im fine with PIA - great price, good servers(and they just added germany or ohio recently), good to decent tech support. Great privacy policies (no logging).
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
hobbystuff wrote: I have been very happy with unblockus. I didn't realize a VPN affected your speeds- I have never noticed anything!
I use mainly for netflix and now with unblockus you can change your settings in your account and watch other countries... ie Ireland, US , UK, etc. http://www.homegiftandgarden.org/2012/1 ... in-canada/

Are my speeds being affected??
Yes unblockus was very good. I am a bit confused on the big differences. After reading all these posts seems to be lots of issues and configurations to get vpn working. I am hiatus from unblockus currently. I am not sure it will work with telus router. And unblockus gave me great customer service as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3295 posts
453 upvotes
I signed up recently with PIA as well, so I was happy to see so many people recommend them in this thread. After reading the thread, I've enabled the VPN Kill Switch and the DNS Leak Protection. So aside from this, what else can I do? Just looking to set it up on my laptop, so I don't really need to do anything with my router. I typically use Vuze, so not sure how much of an issue I'll have setting using SOCK5, but that seems to be the only thing left to do, or am I missing anything else?
Sep 26, 2007
704 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I'm also thinking of subscribing to PIA with month to month plan however, I'm wondering how would I cancel if I decide to down the road? I've gone through their website and can't find this info.
Any thoughts? Thx.
Rob76 wrote: I also just cancelled my PIA, but only to switch from monthly to yearly. Honestly, they've been great. I've been using their service for almost three weeks, speeds are very good and their customer service is top notch. I had a question that I emailed them about on Christmas day and I was shocked when they emailed me back an hour later. Also, their VPN client for OSX is slick. Super easy to use with nice built-in features like a Kill Switch and DNS Leak protection. I've never used HMA so I can't comment on their service in comparison but PIA has been awesome for me, and I'm not even using any special router or anything, just my Telus wireless router/modem combo which isn't very configurable anyhow.