• Jan 12th, 2013 10:22 pm
Tags:
None
May 25, 2005
360 posts
91 upvotes
Rudee wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 3:28 pm
Don't these program screw up things like your Facebook, which has security built in that locks your account if it detects a foreign IP address from another country trying to log in?
It could happen. Most of the time those blocked countries are not the ones you want to tunnel your traffic through and if you sign in with the correct password things still work. it's more likely to be a problem after incorrect attempts to login and from countries that would be less desirable for use as a VPN endpoint. Also you turn off the VPN and your IP is back to normal so you can get in after you disconnect.
Dec 11, 2011
16 posts
Vancouver
If we put money aside, what company provides best VPN?
Top speed, no logs, not US based.
What are your second and third choices?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2425 posts
142 upvotes
spinbot wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:44 pm
For those using PIA, are you familiar with what router is best ? Does the ASUS RT-N16 pack enough processing power with DD-WRT or Tomato USB? Or should one look for something different? I have a WRT54GS Linksys that I cannot get in to (tried multiple 30-30-30 resets). I also have a Linksys WRT54GL that is running Tomato MLPPP, so I'd have to flash that or the other option I have is a MicroTik RouterBoard RB751U-2HnD , but it doesn't appear to have a firmware flash for it, despite it having more than enough memory/processing.
Anyone?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
5864 posts
591 upvotes
casperr wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 8:27 pm
Anyone?

A 500mhz router cpu on the Linksys E3200 loses about 30% of the max speed. Im not even sure an asus RT-66NU can handle openVpn built into tomato without slowing down, and that is the top consumer router with 600mhz cpu also with a Broadcom cpu.

You're better off using the individual clients on each machine especially if IP leaks is a worry, and that can happen even if the VPN is built into the router.

BTW, Strongvpn does log your IP. One of their reps tried not answering the question before virtually hanging up on live chat, the 2nd rep confirmed that they do log your ip.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1434 posts
144 upvotes
Victoria
I use a Cisco 5505 ASA at home. Would that work well with PIA in ipsec mode?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2425 posts
142 upvotes
I think I will just sign up for private internet access vpn and just use my PC as opposed to using the router. Can you tell me if prepaid credit card would work in buying one year worth of subscription? Thanks
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
17535 posts
3475 upvotes
Scarborough
Has anyone tried out or heard of cloudnymous.com?
The pricing is very flexible since they charge monthy, daily, or per GB depending on which server you connect to.

https://cloudnymous.com/home/pricing <-click on "See our current server prices"

I have tried there free servers but I am going to deposit money in my account to try out there Singapore and Tokyo server since these servers offer US IP (listen to Pandora) and allow BitTorrent.

TK Out! :cheesygri
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
vanzemaljac wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 4:54 pm
If we put money aside, what company provides best VPN?
Top speed, no logs, not US based.
What are your second and third choices?
privateinternetaccess.com the hands down winner. I have zero loss of speed on transfer. They keep no logs - Period!. They accept Bitcoin as a payment type as well as CC and PayPal. $3.33 per month based on a yearly purchase.

Running OpenVPN on an RT-N16 with Tomato.
Mar 11, 2004
91 posts
16 upvotes
London
I have been very happy with unblockus. I didn't realize a VPN affected your speeds- I have never noticed anything!
I use mainly for netflix and now with unblockus you can change your settings in your account and watch other countries... ie Ireland, US , UK, etc. http://www.homegiftandgarden.org/2012/1 ... in-canada/

Are my speeds being affected??
Aug 13, 2005
86 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa
Izzy_Deadyet wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:06 am
privateinternetaccess.com the hands down winner. I have zero loss of speed on transfer. They keep no logs - Period!. They accept Bitcoin as a payment type as well as CC and PayPal. $3.33 per month based on a yearly purchase.

Running OpenVPN on an RT-N16 with Tomato.

How are you getting full speeds using the RT-N16? There must be some degradation, no?
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
hobbystuff wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:16 am
I have been very happy with unblockus. I didn't realize a VPN affected your speeds- I have never noticed anything!
I use mainly for netflix and now with unblockus you can change your settings in your account and watch other countries... ie Ireland, US , UK, etc. http://www.homegiftandgarden.org/2012/1 ... in-canada/

Are my speeds being affected??
You haven't noticed a change in speed because unblockus isn't a VPN it's a proxy service. They even claim that VPN won't work on streaming devices. Guess they never heard of a BoxeeBox or installing DD-WRT or Tomato on a router :)
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
bash1979 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:24 am
How are you getting full speeds using the RT-N16? There must be some degradation, no?
I'm using a server 400 miles from me and with or without OpenVPN running there is zero change in DL speeds or ping. Running test with http://www.speedtest.net/

I'm running 4 routers. 1 with OpenVPN, 1 with PPTP and the other 2 with no VPN. The first router is connected to the cable modem, second router running OpenVPN connected to the first router. I'm running 2 networks on this desktop (wired) so I run the speedtest on this desktop switching between routers and there is no significant change.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
28262 posts
802 upvotes
So, how do you run a VPN and a voip adapter at the same time? Wouldn't the voip think you're in a different country and charge you long distance for non-LD calls?
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
hagbard wrote:
Dec 30th, 2012 11:45 am
So, how do you run a VPN and a voip adapter at the same time? Wouldn't the voip think you're in a different country and charge you long distance for non-LD calls?
I don't have a VOIP adaptor. First router (DIR-615) running DD-WRT (for bridging) is running no VPN and is connected to the cable provider internet modem. The second router (RT-N16) is connected from it's WAN port to the LAN port of the DIR-615 and is running OpenVPN on Tomato. The other 2 routers are access points for wireless IP cameras. This setup gives me the ability to connect to the outside world with or without VPN easily. It's also easier to access my security cameras from the outside world since the routers they connect to are access points for the Non-VPN router.

As for VOIP, I use RogersOneNumber :)

Just a note from anyone interested in Rogers. Rogers claims the service won't work over VPN, not true. If anyone is using PIA and the Rogers webphone you'll have to select a specific PIA server since not all are configured for VOIP. I found one in NY that works fine.
Dec 9, 2006
148 posts
19 upvotes
Amsterdam
garetjax wrote:
Dec 7th, 2012 9:25 pm
My HMA expired and went to renew, to my pleasant surprise it is 24% off regular price of $78.66. On sale for 24 more days...

They also have discounted 1 month to $9.99 and 6 month to $39.99.

Great product. I use it for access to US content blocked in Canada, secure access at public hotspots, among other things ;) .

http://hidemyass.com/vpn/
Just to let you know, HMA is more than happy to supply logs, Google it it.

If price is important then PIA at $3.33 per month is hard to beat.

BTW I have no association with PIA, I just like them a lot. I've been through 5 providers and they seem to be a clear cut winner.
× < >