• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2017 10:21 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2006
606 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto

[HMV] HMV - all stores closing by April 30 - up to 30% off

Up to 30% to start. Expect further discounts as the final closing gets nearer.
214 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
1426 posts
785 upvotes
Sucks that people will lose jobs, but this has been a long time coming. 30% off is still probably regular price. Happy hunting down the road.

Thx for the heads up.
Nov 18, 2012
562 posts
192 upvotes
Longueuil
like most stores than arent target, stuff will end up being more expensive than amazon even at 70% off
Jul 9, 2016
148 posts
40 upvotes
Barrie
Ive had an HMV gift card in my wallet for a solid 5 years. Looks like its time to use it!
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1339 posts
337 upvotes
Victoria
Went in tonight and used up my points before the liquidator got a chance to pull the plug on that system. I'll miss it - I'm an album guy.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1091 posts
91 upvotes
They were trying to sell Pie Face for 39.99 when it was $19.99 everywhere else (albeit, hard to find in stock).

Moves like that is why I kept walking right by HMV..
Oct 8, 2015
238 posts
225 upvotes
York, ON
thesick wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 3:52 am

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SEE THAT RIPOFF PRICING DOESNTWORK. SHORT TERM SUCESS, LONG TERM INEVITABLE DEATH. LOOK AT AMAZON, WALMART, IKEA, MRS B's NEBRASKA FURNITiRE MART ( now owned by Warren buffets Berkshire Hathaway), ZARA, Forever 21.

I'm gonna go work on this model for the re birth of my HMV be back in a year. ✌🏾
Useless rant. It's like your life depends on HMV
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
6922 posts
415 upvotes
So, is this reflected in all stores yet? I was AT HMV Newmarket and didn't see any signs or anything on sale, really.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
1959 posts
510 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 8:23 am
If someone actually wants an album, what's the go-to now? Amazon?
Spotify
Mar 28, 2012
8 posts
1 upvote
Did anyone have a list of alternatives stores (Online and offline) for Blu-ray except Walmart and Amazon for example?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
2690 posts
418 upvotes
Edmonton
I remember when Sam the Record Man closed years ago and it was a big deal.... now hmv.

For me, it's more the change in how I feel about music/movies. Years ago, we'd buy vhs tapes for every new movie we liked, and then years later we had hundreds of tapes and no room to store. Sold them all off.. over the same time converted to dvd and have hundreds of those. Then hd-dvd, and finally blu ray. Just became to much, and since we can stream a movie to re-watch no reason to buy the physical medial anymore. The only dvd's we buy were kids movies for portable dvd players, and the kids are older now so over that as well.

The entire movie and music industry needs (is getting) a shakeup so it inevitable that stores like this either figure out a away to adapt, or in this case fold.

I liked some of their collectable section, so now even one less place to browse for that stuff.
Nov 17, 2012
58 posts
22 upvotes
Kitchener
flopticalcube wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 11:52 pm
I'm still in disbelief about the closing of a&b sound.
That brings back some high school memories!
Lining up for their boxing day sale in the cold Vancouver rain on Hastings street and taking turns to run across all those lanes of traffic to the McDonalds to grab food, warm up and use the bathroom while freezing our soaking a$$es off waiting in line...some good memories!
May 11, 2015
189 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe Mr. Treadeau should step in and buy a few albums, at those prices that should be enough to keep HMV alive another year
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15370 posts
895 upvotes
Siqo53 wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 11:21 am
Did anyone have a list of alternatives stores (Online and offline) for Blu-ray except Walmart and Amazon for example?
In Ontario add Sunrise Records to the list if there's a location in your city. Dollarama and Dollar Tree also occasionally have Blurays.

Online there's Barnes and Noble. No free shipping to Canada but they charge HST to Canadian customers so no customs surprises.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15370 posts
895 upvotes
U4IA wrote:
Jan 28th, 2017 11:39 am
I liked some of their collectable section, so now even one less place to browse for that stuff.
Winners (oddly enough) usually has decent selection of collectables at a good price. Not right now since the stores still restocking form Christmas but come Feb there should be more.

Do you know anywhere else (aside from Amazon) that carry collectables?
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel