• Dec 28th, 2012 12:50 pm
Tags:
None
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15046 posts
749 upvotes
First link says sale starts on the 26th - I assume that's true for the second link as well (I didn't see any dates listed).
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3861 posts
171 upvotes
They're so close to going out of business. The boxing day flyers from them have been a joke now for years. Investors need to stop bailing them out =/
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15046 posts
749 upvotes
gsrce wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:47 pm
They're so close to going out of business. The boxing day flyers from them have been a joke now for years. Investors need to stop bailing them out =/
Wow...I couldn't disagree more. Although the daily prices are weak sales (incl the last few BW sales) have always had something interesting for me.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
Aug 20, 2009
139 posts
4 upvotes
Hamilton
People still buy CDs ? Wow talk about out dated business model!
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15046 posts
749 upvotes
jbredflag wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:55 pm
Well most of the store is DVD/BR which still sells better. I'd say 1/4th the store is CDs with the remainder being clothing, pop culture stuff (mugs, toys etc) and media books.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2009
1076 posts
132 upvotes
jbredflag wrote:
I still buy CDs. I only get the ones I really want to keep though, so it's more like a collector's item to me.
Nov 2, 2010
262 posts
33 upvotes
NG wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:41 pm
Well most of the store is DVD/BR which still sells better. I'd say 1/4th the store is CDs with the remainder being clothing, pop culture stuff (mugs, toys etc) and media books.
That's what's wrong with them because their CDs tend to have cheap finds but for movies and most TV blu rays amazon crushes them any day of the week.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15046 posts
749 upvotes
cuddlydragon wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:48 pm
That's what's wrong with them because their CDs tend to have cheap finds but for movies and most TV blu rays amazon crushes them any day of the week.
They do have decent sale DVD/Blu prices at the front of the store and they've had some good sales as well as sometimes being competitive on new releases but overall I'd agree that Amazon...or anyone really (WM, FS, BB) usually kills them.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6233 posts
444 upvotes
Victoria
jbredflag wrote:
Yah CD's are often the same price (or cheaper) than buying on Itunes. I'd rather get a physical item to collect if I'm paying the same price. I buy the CD, rip it to FLAC (and mp3) and stick the CD on the shelf. That way you get something to collect and you have it in non-drm'd universal formats that work on pretty much everything.
Feb 26, 2009
182 posts
15 upvotes
Montréal
zod wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 4:55 pm
Yah CD's are often the same price (or cheaper) than buying on Itunes. I'd rather get a physical item to collect if I'm paying the same price. I buy the CD, rip it to FLAC (and mp3) and stick the CD on the shelf. That way you get something to collect and you have it in non-drm'd universal formats that work on pretty much everything.
This. Plus it gives me a backup of all my music.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17085 posts
1430 upvotes
Poormond Hill
HMV still in business? Where? I thought they all closed down.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
I hate these threads being filled with "derp people still buy CD's I just listen to the top 40 on the charts."

Yeah I'd like to know if that free CD if you spend $40 or more is chosen by them in which case I'm not interested or if they let you pick from any CD that's $X.

I'm gonna assume though that for CD's used stores like BeatGoesOn or one of those many Toronto CD stores will have a better sale.
It takes an ocean not to break
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9660 posts
452 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> People still buy CDs ? Wow talk about out dated business model!

Wow, talk about an outdated saying!

As least they're actually having a Boxing Day sale this time. It was last year or the year before when they decided not to, and realized what a big mistake that was.

I miss going to the big downtown Vancouver store. They often had some surprise blowout item on Boxing Day (eg. ET DVD boxset for $5.00).
× < >