Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
71 upvotes
zod wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 4:55 pm
Yah CD's are often the same price (or cheaper) than buying on Itunes. I'd rather get a physical item to collect if I'm paying the same price. I buy the CD, rip it to FLAC (and mp3) and stick the CD on the shelf. That way you get something to collect and you have it in non-drm'd universal formats that work on pretty much everything.
Do that if you actually like every track on the album. Most people are only interested in one or two tracks so they only buy those off iTunes. The rest of the stuff on the album are just fillers.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15180 posts
820 upvotes
Bordello wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:49 pm
Do that if you actually like every track on the album. Most people are only interested in one or two tracks so they only buy those off iTunes. The rest of the stuff on the album are just fillers.
Well some people prefer not to be top 40 fanboys.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/petitio ... s-2013921/
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4039 posts
156 upvotes
Etobicoke
jbredflag wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:55 pm
People still buy CDs ? Wow talk about out dated business model!
I'd really like to see a "-1 Thanks" button for such useless bs posts. Yes, people still buy CDs. Yes, I am one of them. Yes, I listen to pretty much all tracks, as they are not 'top 40' Justin Bieber or Jessica Simpson CDs. Yes, there are amazing CDs, especially RedBook versions, SACDs and many other special editions. Yes, the quality is much better, compared to compressed download files.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9771 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
> Do that if you actually like every track on the album. Most people are only interested in one or two tracks so they only buy those off iTunes. The rest of the stuff on the album are just fillers.

Not every track will grab you right away. One of my favourite albums, Depeche Mode's Black Celebration, took me months before I really got into it. The whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts.

Not everyone listens to music the same way. I have a friend who listens to his stuff on random, which drives me nuts. I prefer hearing albums in their entirety, as there is usually some though in organizing the tracks.
Aug 26, 2007
167 posts
6 upvotes
Does HMV allow store credit or returns on boxing Day?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2637 posts
1279 upvotes
Montreal
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 8:55 pm
HMV still in business? Where? I thought they all closed down.
I remember they closed down their video games section but they are still operating, selling music & movies & accessories.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15180 posts
820 upvotes
Wow my store was brutal compared to the last cpl boxing weeks. Barely anything on sale aside from the $5 shirts and the CD promo.

If anybody wants Disney/Mickey Mouse, Hunger Games or Spongebob Squarepants shirts in small sizes to XL there was a healthy selection for the shirts.
Sign the petition from MP Sonia Sidhu demanding government 'dump the duties and taxes' on cross-border purchases
Jul 10, 2005
365 posts
44 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
sandikosh wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 8:55 pm
HMV still in business? Where? I thought they all closed down.
yea, they're still in business with many locations across the country. but it's no longer owned by the HMV group. the parent HMV (UK) group sold off HMV canada to a private turn-around firm for like 2 million GBP. the bigger HMV group has its own issues to deal with, and HMV canada is pretty much an orphan bearing a century-old name.

and i agree about the useless "people still buy CDs?" comments. i also get the "people still buy music players?". well, yes. rip your CDs in 16-bit FLAC or download 24-bit FLAC tracks, listen to them on a cowon/sansa/sony music player through a pair of grado and you'll understand why. unless you're playing 'one direction' or something... i have to admit that i'm part of a niche market, but c'mon, we're not stupid.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2011
1216 posts
245 upvotes
Its a fun store to go in personally. Cool comics, CDs, DVDs, posters, etc. I think they have fun little collectors things for movies and such.

I don't always buy stuff from there, but they have neat stuff you can't find in other stores.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15180 posts
820 upvotes
frayne182 wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 3:32 pm
Its a fun store to go in personally. Cool comics, CDs, DVDs, posters, etc. I think they have fun little collectors things for movies and such.

I don't always buy stuff from there, but they have neat stuff you can't find in other stores.
I go into HMV on a regular basis since there's one up the street but walk out empty handed most of the time because EVEVRYTHING you mentioned I can find at a better price 3/4th of the time so I'm not sure where you're shopping if you can't find that stuff elsewhere.
Dec 25, 2010
222 posts
19 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know what free CD's they were giving away on Boxing Day? I wanted to buy something but nothing was really on sale so I left empty handed.
Nov 10, 2003
72 posts
1 upvote
ViperZ wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 7:24 pm
I'd really like to see a "-1 Thanks" button for such useless bs posts.
I agree 100%. Thread crapping like that is the reason I don't visit RFD regularly anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2004
1534 posts
30 upvotes
Picked up the small version of the Portal gun at 25% off. They offered me a free CD and I just declined. :D
SPOOOOOOOOOOOONN!!!!...
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2005
3771 posts
48 upvotes
I miss when HMV had video games. I don't buy CD's anymore because they consume so much space (imagine thousands of cd's. Where do you put them all?!)
But their toy section is pretty cool.
Ephemera

Proud member since 2005!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6564 posts
527 upvotes
Victoria
Bordello wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:49 pm
I love listening to albums, but that probably gives away my age, as the album format is dying. Alot of Rock Albums (pre-itunes) have alot of great tracks on them, many never release as singles. You're missing out if you only listen to the singles. Now that Itunes is geared towards singles, albums aren't as strong as they used to be.
× < >