carmaster wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 6:15 pm
Overpriced dvds, blurays and junk.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Jan 9, 2011
671 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
I thought they all went under years ago.
Sep 1, 2013
360 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
Snarky comments aside, I'm sad to see it go. At the very least, I always enjoyed browsing the Toronto Superstore; you could easily spend a good hour in there looking through the movies. While they didn't always have the best prices, they were one of the last few brick and mortar sources of many titles that other retailers that sell Blu-Ray, like Best Buy, simply don't stock since they focus only on the newest releases.

I'm sure the locations will quickly be taken up by tacky clothing shops, and no doubt some more independent authorized phone plan resellers, because we haven't already got enough Robelus stores, phone kiosks and wireless waves in which to buy the same overpriced plans over and over again. The Canadian retail landscape is becoming more dull by the year.
Dec 10, 2007
366 posts
18 upvotes
Can't wait for the clearance sales to start!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1554 posts
535 upvotes
KINGSTON
Frankly, I'm surprised that they survived as long as they did.
Physical media is most definitely on the way out. I have mixed feelings on this. Elimination of millions of pounds of plastics out of the waste stream (where DID all those VHS tapes end up?), versus "copy protection" on digital downloaded items.
Nov 18, 2015
517 posts
105 upvotes
miss going there as a kid before the internet. it was great. only a matter of time. can't say they didn't try though. from video games to merchandise. online. sad. in 19 years what's left in retail?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2007
4413 posts
743 upvotes
London
I'm actually surprised by this news considering I read an article about HMV Canada a few years ago saying how they were doing so great and able to outlast the other stores in the digital age by adapting and expanding their offering by selling collectibles and other stuff. I guess they were just blowing smoke.

I think this was the article I read:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o ... le6694954/
Mar 9, 2012
675 posts
199 upvotes
KITCHENER
Todays kids will never experience removing the wrapping from a fresh LP/CD/tape. Well, for the LP, just a slice down the opening to get the record out.

Although I have to admit, it's much easier today just downloading the songs you like for $1.29. Though one thing, in the days of having to by an entire album, a lot of people are going to end up missing songs that might have become favourites, those 'filler' songs or 'B' side songs.

Tho I do not really miss making mixed tapes. Or burning CD's for that matter.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Where am I supposed to go now to buy cds?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10287 posts
2027 upvotes
GTA
Becks wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 9:59 pm
Where am I supposed to go now to buy cds?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15503 posts
943 upvotes
TM2Megatron wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 7:46 pm
I'm sure the locations will quickly be taken up by tacky clothing shops, and no doubt some more independent authorized phone plan resellers, because we haven't already got enough Robelus stores, phone kiosks and wireless waves in which to buy the same overpriced plans over and over again. The Canadian retail landscape is becoming more dull by the year.
/Thread

I actually got got back from there and bought something (albeit half off).

I'm surprised they didn't try an online store first especially for all the shirts, mugs etc that aren't sold at a lot of other places.

Hopefully Sunrise will come in and start to fill the void.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?http://forums.redflagdeals.com/wegmans- ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4579 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
I think browsing music was a good experience, I should look to watch Empire Records again. Although last time I watched it I was in a manager mindstate and thought the store in the movie was overstaffed...lol.

I think I set foot in there a few times in th past 10 years, after my music buying days were wearing thin and just seen it as a crime scene.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.