• Last Updated:
  • Mar 20th, 2017 8:50 am
Aug 17, 2009
411 posts
186 upvotes
Pre-bankruptcy, they had a deal of $20 for 2 x $15 CDs/DVDs, etc. , colloquially known as 2/$20. So, went in a couple of days ago. I was hoping they were doing 20% off of the 2 for $20 deals.

NOPE. They're doing 20% off of original price. So, 2 x $15 minus the 20% discount, which comes up to 2/$24. I have to wait until they're doing 33.3% off of original pre-bankruptcy deal price. :/
Feb 22, 2016
630 posts
307 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 12:58 pm
Pre-bankruptcy, they had a deal of $20 for 2 x $15 CDs/DVDs, etc. , colloquially known as 2/$20. So, went in a couple of days ago. I was hoping they were doing 20% off of the 2 for $20 deals.
NOPE. They're doing 20% off of original price. So, 2 x $15 minus the 20% discount, which comes up to 2/$24. I have to wait until they're doing 33.3% off of original pre-bankruptcy deal price. :/
Hilco in action, thanks for the update!

I stand by my original plan to not set foot in HMV until April. If something I might have wanted isn't there anymore, so be it. Just means somebody else stupidly padded Hilco's revenues, not me.
Nov 17, 2016
19 posts
3 upvotes
Nanaimo
The one by me (Nanaimo) is doing the discount off the two for deals. The two for 20s are down to 2 for 15.
Sep 1, 2013
346 posts
81 upvotes
Mississauga
carmaster wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 6:12 pm
How does Sunrise stay in business?
That's a very good question. After hearing about HMV closing, I drove out to Burlington one day a few weeks ago to explore what will be the remaining brick & mortar options for me to purchase physical media: Cinema 1 and Sunrise Records, both in Burlington Mall. Cinema 1 was a fairly pleasant experience... still a few too many DVDs vs Blu-Ray for my liking, but still a pretty impressive selection of both new and obscure titles. The pricing wasn't too bad, either; maybe a bit more for some than HMV may have charged, but on the whole pretty comparable. If you absolutely need to get something obscure on disc and are willing to pay a bit more to get it locally right away rather than ordering online from the US, it's a good option.

What I found at Sunrise really shocked me. That was the first time I'd been in one since the change in ownership and the downtown Toronto locations being closed. The selection of Blu-Rays was absolutely pathetic, and what was there was hideously overpriced; anywhere from $5 to as much as $20 more than HMV may have asked for the same or similar title. Particularly bad were films from labels like Arrow or Shout/Scream Factory. Not that there was much of anything to choose from, as the "movie" section was a two-sided rack no more than a meter or so long and probably 70% DVD. Even for the other items, which Sunrise claims to be the backbone of their business (increasing vinyl sales, collectible figures, board games, etc.), the selection was sad compared to what I remember from the two downtown stores that were closed. The amount of wasted floor and wall space in the Burlington Mall Sunrise is tremendous; so much more product could easily fit in there.

I want to remain hopeful about this news, but if the new Sunrise stores are going to be anything like the one I visited, they won't be long for the world.
Last edited by TM2Megatron on Feb 26th, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1427 posts
377 upvotes
Victoria
Many HMV locations were making money, so there's that. I would imagine Sunrise knows which ones.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4125 posts
1671 upvotes
Mississauga
Sunrise dude: “We think there needs to be a great outlet across Canada to buy music.”

Which is why HMV is closing down.....all the best to Sunrise but as long as Amazon sells for a good price on physical copies, it's hard to go in there and justify the extra $5-$10. It's so much harder to buy most things at Brick & Mortar if I can see the price across the board on my phone within 1 minute.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10654 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
OhHiThere wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 5:20 pm
Looks like Sunrise Records (still around, though much smaller and under new ownership since late 2014) will be taking over the majority of locations post-liquidation. One notable exclusion is the Yonge and Dundas flagship in Toronto. http://globalnews.ca/news/3274299/hmv-l ... e-records/
The only reason why the Sunrise across the street from the Yonge & Dundas HMV closed down is because Malcom owns the building and Doug (the new Sunrise owner) could not come to an agreement on rent for the property.
I worry that Sunrise is merely finishing up sublet leases.
If this is the case, once the original HMV leases expire, I hope Sunrise will be able to continue on without rents going too high.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1427 posts
377 upvotes
Victoria
Said212 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 8:50 pm
Sunrise dude: “We think there needs to be a great outlet across Canada to buy music.”

Which is why HMV is closing down.....all the best to Sunrise but as long as Amazon sells for a good price on physical copies, it's hard to go in there and justify the extra $5-$10. It's so much harder to buy most things at Brick & Mortar if I can see the price across the board on my phone within 1 minute.
You're not their targeted market. A lot of HMV locations were still making money - if they just take the profitable ones, its smart business. Obviously they already have relationships with distributors that they like. If they can keep going on selling physical products for a few years, good for them.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15454 posts
938 upvotes
OhHiThere wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 5:20 pm
Looks like Sunrise Records (still around, though much smaller and under new ownership since late 2014) will be taking over the majority of locations post-liquidation. One notable exclusion is the Yonge and Dundas flagship in Toronto. http://globalnews.ca/news/3274299/hmv-l ... e-records/
Anybody have a complete list of the 70 stores that they'll be taking over?

All the articles I read only mention a few locations noting that they weren't able to reach lease agreements with some landlords.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
8529 posts
2622 upvotes
Oil Country
MaxPower19 wrote:
Feb 26th, 2017 7:15 pm
Many HMV locations were making money, so there's that. I would imagine Sunrise knows which ones.
Yup... I sure they did their due diligence before taking over HMV. They probably went through all of HMV's financials, and found out which ones are profitable and which are not. I wouldn't be surprised if they closed down some of the locations losing money. Just move stock from those stores to the ones staying open.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
5288 posts
609 upvotes
Mississauga
Its sad first Sam the record man and now HMV.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10654 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 12:02 am
Its sad first Sam the record man and now HMV.
First Sam the Record man, then music world, then many other smaller ones, then HMV...good to see Sunrise survive.