• Mar 20th, 2017 8:50 am
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10854 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote:
Feb 27th, 2017 6:29 pm
Anybody have a complete list of the 70 stores that they'll be taking over?

All the articles I read only mention a few locations noting that they weren't able to reach lease agreements with some landlords.
I see what you mean. This recent CBC article points out that Waterloo region may or may not have a Sunrise opening soon: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.4001121
I guess we just have to wait it out a bit to see if Toronto will get a location.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10173 posts
607 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
First was A&A Records and Tapes, in the early 90s.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15503 posts
944 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 5:13 am
I see what you mean. This recent CBC article points out that Waterloo region may or may not have a Sunrise opening soon: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener ... -1.4001121
I guess we just have to wait it out a bit to see if Toronto will get a location.
It's sorta odd. Usually when something like this happens some news site will put out an "article" called "These are the cities that will get a Sunrise when HMV closes" since it's basically a "free" article that doesn't need to be written since they can just copy and paste the list while still getting the ad revenue.

However, here there's apparently a set list of stores that nobody is releasing. Perhaps HMV put as a condition of the store transfers that the list not be released until the liquidation has finished.

For Toronto there's a lot of indie record stores there to compete against in Toronto proper. I could see them going after the suburbs of Toronto more (less competition and cheaper rent).

I don't care about the CDs and vinyl however, I'm hoping my non-GTA HMV flips to Sunrise solely for the geek merchandise they both sell (although HMV always slightly better there).
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10854 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
NG wrote:
Feb 28th, 2017 11:16 am
I could see them going after the suburbs of Toronto more (less competition and cheaper rent).
I don't care about the CDs and vinyl however, I'm hoping my non-GTA HMV flips to Sunrise solely for the geek merchandise they both sell (although HMV always slightly better there).
Actually, believe it or not, due to recent renovations, rent @ Scarborough town might be pretty much equal to rent @ Eaton centre.
To repeat a question I asked earlier, how many people know that HMV sells board games? (to name at least one thing that was not music or movies)
Sunrise will do better to heavily promote the fact that they have board games and other non movie or music inventory.
(whether or not the board games etc will continue to be restricted to a music or movie theme is yet to be seen...)
Aug 17, 2009
433 posts
204 upvotes
Back to HMV thread, LOL, they're up to 30% off original price. For the stuff that I want, HMV has to sell at 70% off. For instance, HMV is selling King of the Hill, season 7 at $55 x 30% off, which is approx. $38.50. Amazon.ca is selling the same item for $38.35. Once it hits 70% off, then it will cost $16 and change for KoH, s. 7. Even then, it's still too much for a decade old show :/
May 31, 2016
295 posts
268 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:59 pm
Back to HMV thread, LOL, they're up to 30% off original price. For the stuff that I want, HMV has to sell at 70% off. For instance, HMV is selling King of the Hill, season 7 at $55 x 30% off, which is approx. $38.50. Amazon.ca is selling the same item for $38.35. Once it hits 70% off, then it will cost $16 and change for KoH, s. 7. Even then, it's still too much for a decade old show :/
Amazon puts KOTH on sale for $10-$15/season on occasion. I bought the entire series over the last couple years at that price. Except season 12 which I bought from google play due to a half price coupon.

HMV sucks.
Oct 16, 2007
679 posts
86 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2017 4:59 pm
I am also eyeing the KotH season DVDs lol. Currently Amazon has a bunch of seasons for $12-13. Still hoping they release a series set and sell it for ~$50 (or less, this is RFD after all).
May 31, 2016
295 posts
268 upvotes
SongforaFriend wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2017 7:33 pm
I am also eyeing the KotH season DVDs lol. Currently Amazon has a bunch of seasons for $12-13. Still hoping they release a series set and sell it for ~$50 (or less, this is RFD after all).
The rights to home media are split, so it's not likely a full season box will be issued unless one publisher buys out the other.

What's the discount up to now? Been around a month since I was in store.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10854 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 6:43 pm
30% movie / music, 50% apparel and merchandise?
I wonder if it's up to the individual store, (based on inventory, maybe?) or if all stores are doing the exact same 30-50% discount on everything no matter what.
(meaning, if one particular store is doing 30% off of something specific, but has way too much of of that item,, can they raise it to 50% off? Or are they told to keep the percentage the same in all stores no matter what?)
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1443 posts
386 upvotes
Victoria
playnicee1 wrote:
Mar 7th, 2017 11:57 pm
I wonder if it's up to the individual store, (based on inventory, maybe?) or if all stores are doing the exact same 30-50% discount on everything no matter what.
(meaning, if one particular store is doing 30% off of something specific, but has way too much of of that item,, can they raise it to 50% off? Or are they told to keep the percentage the same in all stores no matter what?)
They're smart. The profitable HMV locations are discounted less, and having merchandise transferred to them from the money losing stores. And all of that is done at corporate-level.
Feb 22, 2016
675 posts
340 upvotes
MaxPower19 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2017 1:39 am
They're smart. The profitable HMV locations are discounted less, and having merchandise transferred to them from the money losing stores. And all of that is done at corporate-level.
All part of the Hilco "liquidation at full retail price" game plan. We should be all on to them by now, come on...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10854 posts
1447 upvotes
Toronto
Keep an eye out for smaller HMV locations!
Dufferin Mall (Toronto) location closes in just a few days!
Everything there is 40-60% off.