• Mar 20th, 2017 8:50 am
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11337 posts
2306 upvotes
Montreal
hvwozq wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 9:34 pm
Automation is going to leave many people jobless all over the world.
sure, but it all comes down to the standard of living of each country.

goods and services in canada and the us are priced much too high for the current outsourcing/high unemployment economies, and because very few can afford to live on their salary, corporations and banks offer unlimited credit cards, a standard line of credit, easy mortgages, second/reverse mortgages, etc., all to drain as much fake money as possible out of its citizens, while cutting jobs and outsourcing anything they could to 3rd-world countries, while still expecting north america to somehow foot the bill indefinitely.

but that has to end some day, and the first stage was the economic meltdown due to the mortgage crisis, and the second one will be the upcoming economic disaster due to massive consumer credit debt. you can't keep making "fake money" forever and this type of idiotic short-term thinking is probably going to kill 50% of corporate america, again, assuming the us gov't doesn't just bail everyone out again and go another few trillion dollars in debt - but very soon, the chickens will come home to roost and karma will truly be a bitch.
RFD requires you to DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer upvote or downvote and have quite obviously been made a target for the abuse of simpletons.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
3210 posts
1258 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 11:06 pm
sure, but it all comes down to the standard of living of each country.

goods and services in canada and the us are priced much too high for the current outsourcing/high unemployment economies, and because very few can afford to live on their salary, corporations and banks offer unlimited credit cards, a standard line of credit, easy mortgages, second/reverse mortgages, etc., all to drain as much fake money as possible out of its citizens, while cutting jobs and outsourcing anything they could to 3rd-world countries, while still expecting north america to somehow foot the bill indefinitely.

but that has to end some day, and the first stage was the economic meltdown due to the mortgage crisis, and the second one will be the upcoming economic disaster due to massive consumer credit debt. you can't keep making "fake money" forever and this type of idiotic short-term thinking is probably going to kill 50% of corporate america, again, assuming the us gov't doesn't just bail everyone out again and go another few trillion dollars in debt - but very soon, the chickens will come home to roost and karma will truly be a bitch.
Either way, the rich, who cause the economic meltdown, gets away with it, maybe with less money, but still more than enough. It will be the other 99% who will be jobless, homeless, dead, etc. The only way the roles would reverse is if there's an actual revolution, which will never happen because people are brainwashed.
Temp. Banned
Apr 25, 2013
5830 posts
986 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 9:14 am
Either way, the rich, who cause the economic meltdown, gets away with it, maybe with less money, but still more than enough. It will be the other 99% who will be jobless, homeless, dead, etc. The only way the roles would reverse is if there's an actual revolution, which will never happen because people are brainwashed.
Wow you're the kind of guy I agree with !
A people's revolution is the only way to overthrow the current status quo, our current system is rigged by the 1%
Prices are superficially inflated by as much as 5000-8000%. Just a simple loaf of bread that is a daily necessity is inflated by 400-500%, why does a loaf of bread cost $3.50+ here in Canada while it costs less than $0.90 in the US and a gallon of milk in Canada is close to $8.00 while it is less than $2.00 in US ? These are necessities, just imagine the mark up on other goods like electronics and clothing !
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10654 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
Did they give any warning about not being able to cash in the HMV loyalty points???
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
1427 posts
377 upvotes
Victoria
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:44 pm
Did they give any warning about not being able to cash in the HMV loyalty points???
As soon as they go into bankruptcy they no longer exist. It's now a different company liquidating.

It has me thinking though - I wonder if there should be a law that liquidators need to honor gift cards and loyalty points as part of the right to liquidate the assets
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
10654 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto
MaxPower19 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 8:49 pm
It has me thinking though - I wonder if there should be a law that liquidators need to honor gift cards and loyalty points as part of the right to liquidate the assets
Or at least a warning that points "will expire on..." Not...SURPRISE! Your points are worthless!!
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2430 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa
EdT586 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 7:22 pm
A people's revolution is the only way to overthrow the current status quo, our current system is rigged by the 1%
Prices are superficially inflated by as much as 5000-8000%. Just a simple loaf of bread that is a daily necessity is inflated by 400-500%, why does a loaf of bread cost $3.50+ here in Canada while it costs less than $0.90 in the US and a gallon of milk in Canada is close to $8.00 while it is less than $2.00 in US ? These are necessities, just imagine the mark up on other goods like electronics and clothing !
Prices are jot super inflated here. Basic googling says that in the US a regular load of bread generally sells for around USD$2.50. Suggesting that "the 1%" are inflating prices is paranoia. Consider basic goods such as bread, for example. If one seller or manufacturer decided to massively inflate the price, then someoneelse would just sell it cheaper. Also, it's hard to imagine that a monopoly or oligarchy of bread sellers could exist. You can't patent it, the materials to make it are readily available, the machines to make it are relatively cheap, the distribution channels are relatively simple, etc...
Sep 8, 2006
261 posts
57 upvotes
Edmonton
EdT586 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2017 7:22 pm
A gallon of milk is close to $8??? Do you not realize a gallon of milk is 3.75L? 4L here costs $4.50 or so. A gallon in the US is around $3.50 USD. If you live up in the arctic that's a different situation.
Feb 1, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2017 11:41 pm
There are some independent stores still around, but they all sell both new and used CD's and movies.
What I would like is a store where things are found in alphabetical order.
That's why I am now settling for a store like Sonic Boom ( http://sonicboommusic.com/ ) for lack of a better choice.
Still a lot of great new and used record stores in and around the Vancouver area. Quite a few people didn't even know there was still a HMV still on Robson Street when the Burrard and Robson location closed in 2011. Another location opened for a short time across the street from the Robson and Burrard location but it quickly went under again. The last location was just a little bit smaller then the old Robson and Bute location that i remember.

Red Cat Records , Neptoon , Beat Street , Vinyl , Zulu and Audiophile are just a few of the places you can still by new records and cd's. Most of all these stores also have a vast selection of used records and cd's as well.

These stores adapted as well
Beat Street records for example also sells concert ticket and Graffiti supplies.
Red Cat sells tickets and carries new turntables. They even open up a second location last fall in North Burnaby.
Zulu Records in Kits also has new and used DVD and Blue Rays.
Feb 1, 2017
19 posts
3 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 4:40 pm
it's not about adapting, but more like corporate karma.

all these moron companies farm out jobs (i.e. support, tech, etc.) to 3rd-world countries to save a few bucks, fire a ton of Canadian workers, then act dumbfounded when there are fewer and fewer Canadians with the available cash to shop at retail. more and more people are struggling just to pay essential bills, let alone shop for luxury items.

and yes, overall retail $$$ per capita spending is down across the board, online or otherwise - that's not adapting, it's recognizing a new world order. I honestly think these moron corp. execs were thinking "sure, we're farming out 50% of our workforce to bangledesh, but surely we'll be the only ones, right? right?" :lol: :lol:
Been saying everything you just wrote for the last 15 to 20 years.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
11337 posts
2306 upvotes
Montreal
TrevorB177692 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:17 am
Been saying everything you just wrote for the last 15 to 20 years.
sure, it's certainly nothing new, but quantum changes like this take a long time to fully filter down, and now it's finally being realized in full technicolor.

I actually saw that "surely not everyone will do the same thing" mindset on a documentary, and apparently a lot of corporate shills actually thought they'd gain a competitive edge by outsourcing to India, while their competitors would continue to employ North Americans and maintain the market for their goods - honestly, a lot of these execs have the IQ of a turnip and the rest of them cannot even comprehend anything beyond the next quarterly report + bonus.
RFD requires you to DOWNVOTE every single post of mine, as I can no longer upvote or downvote and have quite obviously been made a target for the abuse of simpletons.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10092 posts
572 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
TrevorB177692 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2017 11:14 am
Still a lot of great new and used record stores in and around the Vancouver area.
Red Cat sells tickets and carries new turntables. They even open up a second location last fall in North Burnaby.
It's in east Vancouver, around the 2400 block of Hastings (off Nanaimo), where Horse Records used to be.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2430 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa
I think that if physical media wants to survive among the mainstream market, there has to be changes.

One thing that I think there needs to be is an end to Prohibited User Operations (ie things like anti-piracy warnings, trailera and menus you can't skip through). When you put in a bluray or dvd the first thing that should come up is the beginning of the movie or the main menu, depending on your preferences.

The second thing that shoukd be removed is copy protection. It is virtually useless and makes it harder for honest buyers of blurays/dvds to copy it to their hard-drive based media centres, phones, etc. It also makes it harder to integrate bluray disc playback into programs such as xbmc/kodi, as it can't be done legally.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
23271 posts
2076 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 3:44 pm
I think that if physical media wants to survive among the mainstream market, there has to be changes.
I don't see a future for physical media. My collection of Music includes over 1000 CDs, my movie collection started with VHS tapes and Laser Discs and DVDs. I stopped buying physical media when Sam the Record Man closed.

I still have my physical media, but they are just collecting dust. I have converted everything to digital and it sits on my multiple NAS units. I can find any movie, TV Show or music instantly and play it back from anywhere in the house.

Can't do that with physical media.