• Mar 20th, 2017 8:50 am
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
2701 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 4:25 pm
I don't see a future for physical media. My collection of Music includes over 1000 CDs, my movie collection started with VHS tapes and Laser Discs and DVDs. I stopped buying physical media when Sam the Record Man closed.

I still have my physical media, but they are just collecting dust. I have converted everything to digital and it sits on my multiple NAS units. I can find any movie, TV Show or music instantly and play it back from anywhere in the house.

Can't do that with physical media.
I think it'll still be around, but it will be less mainstream and more of a niche product (kinda like laserdisks). Physical media is still usually has the highest picture/sound quality of all the legitimate was to watch movies/tv. Also, while things like netflix are good, I find them too slow and you alwats gave to worry if something will be removed from Netflix; there's no "permanency".
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24824 posts
2568 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 10th, 2017 5:16 pm
there's no "permanency".
There is always something else to watch. More content is being produced and it is virtually impossible to watch everything. Why would you want to watch something you've already seen?

The exception is music. You want to hear the music you like over and over again.

I have a Netflix subscription, but I also have digital copies stored on my NAS. If I ever find an urge to watch it again. I have a permanent copy.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10277 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
When people (granted, a small amount of people) are buying cassettes because they want something they can hold in their hands ...
May 31, 2016
331 posts
289 upvotes
Have they dropped the prices on anything yet? I stopped in last week and it was just 30% off apparel, 20% off collectibles, and 10% off media. Still considerably more expensive than amazon.ca, walmart, or bestbuy. Store was still full of stock, looked like normal operations. A lot of people going in to check it out, nobody buying anything.
Feb 22, 2016
757 posts
373 upvotes
Remember, Hilco has owned HMV Canada for a few years now. Yes, the same liquidators who handled Zellers, Target, Blockbuster, and almost every other store closing in this country in recent memory. You know they always start by raising all the prices by about 25% just before posting "10-30% off"... and those signs will remain for at least a month, then begins the slow creep on that bottom discount - usually in 5% increments every week or two.

Come on, we've seen this movie before... I wanted to throw a brick at the TV when the news showed long lineups at the Target cash registers on day one of their liquidation sale - everything 10% off (after everything was hiked 25% overnight).

The stores have to all be closed by the end of April. The prices won't be reasonable until the last 2 weeks before closing, so I won't bother looking until 1st or 2nd week of April.
Dec 21, 2007
15 posts
20 upvotes
I was in there yesterday. Discount has been bumped up from 10% to 20% on movies. Still not a bargain for me so I didn't buy anything. Might pick up a couple of titles if they are still there when the discount hits 30%.
Jun 3, 2005
963 posts
78 upvotes
Evendesiredusernameistaken wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 12:09 am
Have they dropped the prices on anything yet? I stopped in last week and it was just 30% off apparel, 20% off collectibles, and 10% off media. Still considerably more expensive than amazon.ca, walmart, or bestbuy. Store was still full of stock, looked like normal operations. A lot of people going in to check it out, nobody buying anything.
This. Passed by today at fairview mall...prices are pretty much at regular prices with the discount.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
4345 posts
1888 upvotes
Mississauga
HMV is only close to a deal if it's 50% or more. Want a boxset? HMV would have it for 199.99 while Amazon had the same one for 89.99.

Want a CD that just came out and is selling for 10.00 at Walmart? You'll pay 14 at HMV.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
1768 posts
407 upvotes
Unionville, ON
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 11th, 2017 12:25 am

Come on, we've seen this movie before... I wanted to throw a brick at the TV when the news showed long lineups at the Target cash registers on day one of their liquidation sale - everything 10% off (after everything was hiked 25% overnight).

The stores have to all be closed by the end of April. The prices won't be reasonable until the last 2 weeks before closing, so I won't bother looking until 1st or 2nd week of April.
Yeah I completely agree. I remember seeing that and was thinking, wtf is wrong with these people? 10% off is all it takes for them to go nuts on stuff at Target on the first day... lol

The stuff I'm most interested in are the collectibles, posters, canvas and will wait until those are 40% off and up..
Jun 3, 2007
42 posts
38 upvotes
Langley
I was in there today and 20 percent off was the best I saw. Certainly not a bargain that I was expecting and walked out the door empty handing.
Feb 22, 2016
757 posts
373 upvotes
zverymuch wrote:
Feb 13th, 2017 6:33 pm
I was in there today and 20 percent off was the best I saw. Certainly not a bargain that I was expecting and walked out the door empty handed.
Keep doing that! If you're in the area, walk in, look around, leave. Let's show Hilco that we've (finally) figured them out and that their days of ripping off Canadians are over. Hilco is right up there with Value Village in the scum department, and I prefer to give them as little as possible for their ill-gotten goods.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2407 posts
42 upvotes
Hasn't this been discussed already as a business, you want to recoup as much of the money as you can. What kind of business plan is it if you start at 50%? Sure you move more items but clearly a lot of people are already cleaning shelves at 10%. There might not be deals but people are buying and come when the real discounts hit, I wonder how much stock will be left over to pick from? I picked up a movie I know has already disappeared from most places yesterday at 20% off. If I held out for a deep discount, I am sure it would have been gone.
Feb 22, 2016
757 posts
373 upvotes
danman227460 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2017 10:06 am
I picked up a movie I know has already disappeared from most places yesterday at 20% off.
In other words you got ripped off. Hilco hiked the price 25% then posted a 20% off sign which you fell for...
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
11075 posts
1503 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 1:24 am
In other words you got ripped off. Hilco hiked the price 25% then posted a 20% off sign which you fell for...
It's only 20% off when you buy one at the regular price. It all depends on what you buy.
Currently, they are only taking $2 off when it's a 2 for $20 deal, making it $18.
To make it look good to the eye they are advertising it as 2 for $9 each or 20% off the regular price when you only buy only one.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2407 posts
42 upvotes
No. I picked up Transformers the Animated movie. That movie was at 23. Amazon sells it for 23 and it hasn't gone lower than 23. 20% off is a good deal for a movie that might never drop lower and if I had kept waiting, it would have been gone.

See HMV was good for titles released by Scream/Shout Factory and other companies big box stores will never carry. I am not shopping at HMV for big releases because the big box stores will always have them lower.

And so far, I have to see any movies that are hiked up beyond what MSRP is for these movies. HMV always had higher priced stuff.
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 16th, 2017 1:24 am

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)