Hockey helmet for 9 year with glasses?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2019 5:50 pm
[OP]
Apr 5, 2009
572 posts
143 upvotes

Hockey helmet for 9 year with glasses?

Surely someone has a child with glasses and a tip for me?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2007
1054 posts
218 upvotes
My daughter wears glasses and her helmet fits fine - what type of issue are you running into?
Nov 23, 2015
696 posts
387 upvotes
Winnipeg
The masks attached to helmets look pretty generous in terms of space for glasses.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2009
1568 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
Both my kids play hockey with glasses and have only ever bought the cheapest helmet at Canadian Tire. Unless your kids are wearing some crazy Elton John glasses, they'll be fine. The bigger issue will be fogging up their glasses. I use the dish soap trick and it has worked quite well.
Feb 8, 2017
448 posts
227 upvotes
i see lots of kids with glasses in our hockey league. no issues with the fit of helmets or cages.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3115 posts
263 upvotes
My son has been playing with glasses for years. No helmet changes needed, but our optometrist did suggest cutting a small line of the foam on the side of the helmet if fit was an issue.

As for fogging, there are a few good sprays on the market that help combat this but I’ve heard dish detergent is good as well.
Dec 8, 2009
317 posts
41 upvotes
Our doctor suggested contact lens. We will give it a try
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2095 posts
888 upvotes
Victoria
stansoltz wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:42 pm
Try on several different brands to see what fits best.
May 21, 2018
296 posts
234 upvotes
My first suggestion would be to try to wear contact lens. If he is not ready to poke his eyes, then he should put his helmet on, then gentle put his glasses on. You may need to adjust the helmet to allow more room on the sides. He should also be wearing a cage.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7038 posts
1743 upvotes
I grew up playing hockey with glasses under my helmet.

You have to start with the glasses on. Stretch the helmet sides at the ears and pull out on them as you slide over your head. Once down, it should sit with little disturbance to the glasses. If you don't pull this sides out when going on, it can catch and pull the glasses.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
7692 posts
2070 upvotes
stansoltz wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 2:42 pm
May not be old enough for disposable contact lenses, that would be my first choice but you should get the helmet properly fitted. It should not be a problem.
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Dec 8, 2009
317 posts
41 upvotes
We have been using contact lens on our 7 year old son. So far so good. It’s daily disposable. We don’t use too many. So cost is ok. It really help his performance