• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2019 2:14 pm
[OP]
Jun 14, 2009
299 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto

Hockey Helmet fitting for kid

Guys/Mods: not sure if this is in parenting or sports forum so feel free to move...

I have no background in hockey/skating so I am seeking help from any of you hockey parents/experts out there

Essentially, my son has a skating class for a few sessions and they're required to get hockey helmet and skates. We tried Bauer and CCM helmets for different sizes but it seems like the Medium ones will be "tight" for him (he claims it's tight) and the Large ones are too loose (we can see it's too big coz we can move it on his head). He's turning 8 soon and we went to different stores etc... Same result, the guys recommend "Medium" Bauer, Medium CCM, etc etc etc... Obviously, we just limited price to $100 (as paying up over $100 for a skating class doesnt seem to make sense) Went to Sportchek, Hockey Life, Just Hockey?, etc... If it's any help, we did measure his head to be 55cm... which is exactly medium too for helmets like CCM, Bauer...

My question really is: is it normal for it to be "tight"? Is there a way to make this a better fit? How does one know if it's really too tight? Not sure if continuous pressing on the foam will help (on the medium size) or anything can be added to the "Large" size helmet to make it more fit... The guys selling the hockey helmets stated that they need to have the face masks on (as most skating rinks require kids to have this on) the helmet so I'm not sure if that is also the problem which makes it too tight on my kid's temples... Either way, he needs a helmet as it's a requirement, the question is: what is the right fit? Based on what I read, it should be snug but not tight... I guess no way to tell until after he skates with it for an hour???

Any thoughts? Many thanks for your help
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
6575 posts
1244 upvotes
eilrach wrote:
Dec 28th, 2018 8:01 pm
Guys/Mods: not sure if this is in parenting or sports forum so feel free to move...

I have no background in hockey/skating so I am seeking help from any of you hockey parents/experts out there

Essentially, my son has a skating class for a few sessions and they're required to get hockey helmet and skates. We tried Bauer and CCM helmets for different sizes but it seems like the Medium ones will be "tight" for him (he claims it's tight) and the Large ones are too loose (we can see it's too big coz we can move it on his head). He's turning 8 soon and we went to different stores etc... Same result, the guys recommend "Medium" Bauer, Medium CCM, etc etc etc... Obviously, we just limited price to $100 (as paying up over $100 for a skating class doesnt seem to make sense) Went to Sportchek, Hockey Life, Just Hockey?, etc... If it's any help, we did measure his head to be 55cm... which is exactly medium too for helmets like CCM, Bauer...

My question really is: is it normal for it to be "tight"? Is there a way to make this a better fit? How does one know if it's really too tight? Not sure if continuous pressing on the foam will help (on the medium size) or anything can be added to the "Large" size helmet to make it more fit... The guys selling the hockey helmets stated that they need to have the face masks on (as most skating rinks require kids to have this on) the helmet so I'm not sure if that is also the problem which makes it too tight on my kid's temples... Either way, he needs a helmet as it's a requirement, the question is: what is the right fit? Based on what I read, it should be snug but not tight... I guess no way to tell until after he skates with it for an hour???

Any thoughts? Many thanks for your help
It needs to be snug without being tight. Most are adjustable ...even the lower models. Go to Hockey Life or Sportchek or any hockey specialty store they will be able to properly fit your son. Since he's not playing hockey you don't need top of the line. It should not be this difficult.
________

"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5537 posts
1262 upvotes
Whitby
blexann wrote:
Dec 29th, 2018 11:18 pm
It needs to be snug without being tight. Most are adjustable ..
+1
Look at Warrior, and try to find a higher end model from 2 years ago which will be cheap and good quality. Lots of helmets on kijiji, kids outgrow equipment quick
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
1376 posts
619 upvotes
@eilrach Does it have to be a hockey helmet or can it be a multiple sport winter helmet? If it ajust skating lessons and not hockey, then it would be fine. My kids were always allowed a multi sport winter helmet for skating in. They are a little more adjustable, but no face-cage

I would ask if you are not planningg on putting him in hockey. If a multi sport is allowed then Costco has good ones.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it brothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1313 posts
25 upvotes
As suggested try other retailers and look for non-tool adjustable helmets, these are usually clips where you can adjust the helmet. Also, get one with a cage.

A lot of different manufactures have different fits and materials. Keep trying until you find a good fit with room to expand.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
8369 posts
1421 upvotes
Edmonton
Guaranteed he's saying it's too tight because he's a kid and he's never worn one for any length of time.

In general, the front of the helmet needs to be parallel to his eyebrows, so roughly a finger width between the brow and the helmet. He needs to be able to shake his head left and right and the helmet stay in place. Leave it on for a few minutes. If he takes it off and there are visible indents on his forehead then it's probably too tight front to back. If it's just red and goes away quick enough then it's ok.

Basically there shouldn't be any wobble in the helmet, otherwise it's not fitting properly.

The cage needs to hug the chin while still allowing him to talk. Too loose and the helmet/cage will just ride up. Too tight to the chin it's likely not sitting where it needs to in case of impact. He'll probably get the chin strap smashing into his teeth.
Feb 8, 2017
399 posts
169 upvotes
clseea wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 2:44 am
Guaranteed he's saying it's too tight because he's a kid and he's never worn one for any length of time.

In general, the front of the helmet needs to be parallel to his eyebrows, so roughly a finger width between the brow and the helmet. He needs to be able to shake his head left and right and the helmet stay in place. Leave it on for a few minutes. If he takes it off and there are visible indents on his forehead then it's probably too tight front to back. If it's just red and goes away quick enough then it's ok.

Basically there shouldn't be any wobble in the helmet, otherwise it's not fitting properly.

The cage needs to hug the chin while still allowing him to talk. Too loose and the helmet/cage will just ride up. Too tight to the chin it's likely not sitting where it needs to in case of impact. He'll probably get the chin strap smashing into his teeth.
this. OP get a medium helmet and adjust it so it fits properly on his head. no need to spend a ton of money, you can get a new helmet for around $45. the cage would be extra. or you can look for used. this is a lower end helmet, does the job nothing fancy
https://www.nationalsports.com/collecti ... -0-blk-med

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)