[Hokkaido Ramen Santouka] Toronto - Nov 10. $5.55 Hokkaido Ramen Santouka

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 9:46 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1969 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
Just went to the Santouka website and they charge $13 for a bowl of noodle with a few slices of tomatoes and a few of those frozen shrimps (you can get a huge pack at the grocery store for $5). Is this really RFD? I feel like all these "Japanese" ramen shops are always so overpriced even though most of the cooks there are Chinese. Come to a Scarborough food court and you will find out what $8 will get you.

I guess authentic Chinese food will always be correlated to "cheap", while "Japanese" food will always be labeled as "sophisticated" even when they can charge so much for so little.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1969 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
HoneyMustardMiso wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:20 pm
Here in Vancouver they're usually cooked by Japanese chefs.
I don't want to sound condescending, but are the hands of Japanese chefs really that magical? I mean, based on the website, salad ramen is $13 and it's just 2 slice of lettuce, 5 slice of tomatoe, a few frozen shrimps and some noodles.
Aug 5, 2014
37 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blitzforce wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:46 pm
I don't want to sound condescending, but are the hands of Japanese chefs really that magical? I mean, based on the website, salad ramen is $13 and it's just 2 slice of lettuce, 5 slice of tomatoe, a few frozen shrimps and some noodles.
The Santouka is run by a full Japanese staff and I can vouch for its quality.
After living in Japan for a year and coming back, food just isn't the same in terms of quality.
You don't have to take my word, but I would recommend you to take a trip to Japan sometime and try their food. No regrets

Although their price is pretty expensive, it is Toronto and not Japan, so yea
Music Is The Answer

cryto.me
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2646 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Authentic Chinese food isn't cheap anymore. You'll struggle to find a dish that's less than $8. Even food court food is getting unaffordable.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1500 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
not a big fan of Ramen, too much MSG and salty.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1969 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
loserga wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 7:05 pm
Authentic Chinese food isn't cheap anymore. You'll struggle to find a dish that's less than $8. Even food court food is getting unaffordable.
Even if its more expensive, you would at least get more for what you pay.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
2646 posts
237 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
That's not true at all. Portions are smaller and quality has gone down.

On the other hand, newly opened Chinese restaurants that cater to mainlanders do have pretty good food, but their dishes start at $10 before tax and tip (and you'd better tip since the waiters and waitresses often don't get paid wages at all).
Jan 19, 2014
109 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
blitzforce wrote:
How should I know? You were the one who brought up the thing with Japanese chefs out of the blue. Now you're being condescending, acting like I'm being pretentious or something for responding to what you've brought up.

You got an axe to grind about Japanese food? Do it without channeling it through me.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1969 posts
317 upvotes
Toronto
HoneyMustardMiso wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:00 pm
How should I know? You were the one who brought up the thing with Japanese chefs out of the blue when no one else has mentioned it.
I didnt just brought it up out of the blue. Most of these Japanese restaurants are so overpriced and I just want to know why RFD members are willing to pay ao much for a few slices of tomato and frozen shrimps.
Nov 3, 2010
279 posts
123 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 8:07 pm
I didnt just brought it up out of the blue. Most of these Japanese restaurants are so overpriced and I just want to know why RFD members are willing to pay ao much for a few slices of tomato and frozen shrimps.
Can you stop repeating this "slice of tomato and frozen shrimps" garbage? Do you know what ramen is--what are you even talking about?

You can also stop spouting bullshit about the chinese workers. Toronto's ramen shops are operated by primarily japanese employees. Thanks.

Edit: Realize what's going on now. So you've found this news post from 2015 advertising "salad ramen. Perhaps you should take a look at their actual menu, yes? I can assure you that salad ramen is no longer offered on the menu.
Oct 18, 2016
192 posts
122 upvotes
Jamaalism wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 4:47 pm
I used to think Sansotei had the best ramen in the GTA but after Sansotei raised their price and removed their cha siu from their Spicy Tan Tan ramen, I started going to Santouka more and have to say, Santouka takes the crown.

I highly recommend their Spicy Kara Miso ramen.

There's usually a line for regular price so I'm not sure if it'll be worth it for this promotion. Good luck
I'm on their site and it says the Spicy Tan Tan has the cha siu.....
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Feb 2, 2014
250 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
blitzforce wrote:
Every time there's a thread about ramen, some jagwagon who doesn't know the difference between instant ramen and actual ramen has to chime in with his two cents.
Dec 16, 2015
715 posts
314 upvotes
Canada
It is really just noodles with 3 slices of pork belly fat and half egg...

Raw material cost...less than $1.5 max