good soup noodles is 95% about the soup... good soup without msg
  • Buying or Selling Realestate In Toronto? Visit My Site
  • Friendly and Gentle Dental Hygiene Cleaning in Toronto Visit Here
Nov 3, 2010
273 posts
117 upvotes
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 12:15 am
It is really just noodles with 3 slices of pork belly fat and half egg...

Raw material cost...less than $1.5 max
?_?
Perhaps you should look up how difficult it is to make a tonkotsu broth before talking.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1618 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
People always assume ramen is cheap to make and associate it with instant noodles. It is far from instant noodles and it's hard to make the broth. It'll literally take you hours to make it and it might not even turn out the way you like it. Santouka says they simmer the pork bones for two days. Pig trotters alone will cost you around $3/lb. I don't know how much you value your time, but I value 5-6 hours more than $13 a bowl.

I also get a large bowl and it'll fill me up at santouka. Also most of the ramen restaurants have their own unique style and is different from each other. I'm thankful Vancouver has many authentic and fusion ramen places around.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Jul 26, 2015
374 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
hamachi wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:52 pm
I swear this should be the regular price of all ramen across the city...

but aside from that, thx OP.
We should be thankful that ramen in toronto is pretty cheap.

When I visited NYC, almost everything was near 20 bucks a bowl. Crying Face
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2005
5379 posts
321 upvotes
meepsheep wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 3:59 am
We should be thankful that ramen in toronto is pretty cheap.

When I visited NYC, almost everything was near 20 bucks a bowl. Crying Face
Rent and overhead is outrageously expensive in NYC.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1357 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
Ramen shops are getting pretty busy as it is so I don't mind that the ignorant swine stay ignorant
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
1933 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 2:37 am
People always assume ramen is cheap to make and associate it with instant noodles. It is far from instant noodles and it's hard to make the broth. It'll literally take you hours to make it and it might not even turn out the way you like it. Santouka says they simmer the pork bones for two days. Pig trotters alone will cost you around $3/lb. I don't know how much you value your time, but I value 5-6 hours more than $13 a bowl.

I also get a large bowl and it'll fill me up at santouka. Also most of the ramen restaurants have their own unique style and is different from each other. I'm thankful Vancouver has many authentic and fusion ramen places around.
That pot of soup isn't just for one customer though. The rest of the ingredients are just cutting it into few slices. My uncle is one of the few sushi/teppanyaki chef in a pretty busy Japanese restaurant and he jokes about people paying stupid amount of money for slices of frozen fish on some rice and charging $20-30 for a bowl of teppanyaki volcano fried rice (make it front of customer and pour oil in the pan to create some sort of flame on the rice). He even mentioned that he would never work in a Chinese restaurant due to the amount of work he actually need to put into each dish, and the low wage.

Went to some expensive teppanyaki place that charges customers $50/person and the teppanyaki chef rushes everyone (a table of 12 x $50/person) asking what we want before he leaves. I go to a Korean bbq place that charges $25/person and I can take my time choosing my sht.
Sep 24, 2009
467 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 5:48 pm
But Santouka is a lot more expensive than Sansotei, no?
They used to be but since Sansotei raised their price and removed Cha Siu (~$2 to add it), the pricing gap has narrowed
jamaalism.com

all expressed thoughts and opinions are strictly my own
Sep 24, 2009
467 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
Hartia0 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 9:17 pm
I'm on their site and it says the Spicy Tan Tan has the cha siu.....
Then they may not have updated their online menu.

The Yonge & Wellesley location doesn't include it anymore.
jamaalism.com

all expressed thoughts and opinions are strictly my own
Jun 15, 2008
678 posts
85 upvotes
Markham
Also when i went last time, i took a sniff of my ramen and it smelled like..... chemicals lol am i going crazy :twisted:
Feb 2, 2014
250 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
lemieux035 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 1:03 am
Wow what ignorance am I seeing here! Ramen is from China!!! In Wakayama, Japan, they even call ramen "chuuka soba" -- "Chinese noodles".

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016022 ... best-ramen
Ramen is derived from Chinese laiman noodles that came over to Japan in the mid-20th century. So it's originally from China, but now every major city in Japan has their own ramen style that have developed over the last 70 years or so. It's a distinctly Japanese dish that has Chinese roots.
Jul 26, 2015
374 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
tomtomtom wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 6:38 am
Rent and overhead is outrageously expensive in NYC.
Food is not expensive in NYC, just ramen because it's a trendy Asian thing over there. In Toronto, it's not that bad at all.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5255 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 12:15 am
Raw material cost...less than $1.5 max
reading hilariously out of touch opinions from RFDers who never get out anywhere... Priceless
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2791 posts
1160 upvotes
tjindersingh wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 3:59 pm
I love ramen and Santouka is great, but there is no way I am lining up for hours to save $5. I will happily pay regular price for ramen!
Apparently your new to rfd, people will line up for any deal