[Hokkaido Ramen Santouka] Toronto - Nov 10. $5.55 Hokkaido Ramen Santouka

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 10th, 2017 9:46 pm
Oct 26, 2016
44 posts
84 upvotes
blitzforce wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 9:24 am
That pot of soup isn't just for one customer though. The rest of the ingredients are just cutting it into few slices. My uncle is one of the few sushi/teppanyaki chef in a pretty busy Japanese restaurant and he jokes about people paying stupid amount of money for slices of frozen fish on some rice and charging $20-30 for a bowl of teppanyaki volcano fried rice (make it front of customer and pour oil in the pan to create some sort of flame on the rice). He even mentioned that he would never work in a Chinese restaurant due to the amount of work he actually need to put into each dish, and the low wage.

Went to some expensive teppanyaki place that charges customers $50/person and the teppanyaki chef rushes everyone (a table of 12 x $50/person) asking what we want before he leaves. I go to a Korean bbq place that charges $25/person and I can take my time choosing my sht.
Ive been following this thread and this post right here just tipped me over lol. There's really no sense in what's being argued here..
1. to bring up teppanyaki, what's the point of comparing this? Teppanyaki/hibachi, though certainly not all, are half a meal but also a show. The price you are paying is to have front row seats to see your meal prepared in front of you with the occasional tricks that the chef has to offer. This is essentially the same as most meals with the option of "prepared table side" in Western/European restaurants. Do people pay hundreds because they actually have a life desire to want to eat/watch spaghetti made out of a parmesan wheel, or gave a house caesar made in front of them for $50? Perhaps not. most are probably willing to pay more for that wow factor or spectacle.. Essentially the same as teppanyaki.. It's not a coincidence that people often "Spurlge" in those kind of settings during business functions and special occasions.. You're not just paying for the food; it's the ambience, presentation, service to name a few. While I don't know your uncle, the volcano fried rice he does sounds exactly like what that is, see if his customers would be willing to pay that same amount for the same fried rice in a food court.

2. "frozen slices of some fish in rice" - eh.....
Again, I don't know your uncle and where he works. That establishment could be serving fresh ingredients shipped overseas, or they could be serving non sashimi grade cuts from the food terminal. Whichever it is, it doesn't seem like you have a lot of respect or knowledge of cuisine and the art of food. Sushi is a culture to a lot of people and there's so much that goes into it. Also, why do people pay $30 to eat essentially a burger at a nice bar? Pay $40 for "pasta with sauce I can make from a can"?

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but also outside of raw material costs, and if you can't understand or get over that then it will be hard for someone like you to go out to anywhere in these times.

Lol.. I can't even.
Apr 6, 2017
30 posts
38 upvotes
cwai471 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 5:28 pm
Ive been following this thread and this post right here just tipped me over lol. There's really no sense in what's being argued here..
1. to bring up teppanyaki, what's the point of comparing this? Teppanyaki/hibachi, though certainly not all, are half a meal but also a show. The price you are paying is to have front row seats to see your meal prepared in front of you with the occasional tricks that the chef has to offer. This is essentially the same as most meals with the option of "prepared table side" in Western/European restaurants. Do people pay hundreds because they actually have a life desire to want to eat/watch spaghetti made out of a parmesan wheel, or gave a house caesar made in front of them for $50? Perhaps not. most are probably willing to pay more for that wow factor or spectacle.. Essentially the same as teppanyaki.. It's not a coincidence that people often "Spurlge" in those kind of settings during business functions and special occasions.. You're not just paying for the food; it's the ambience, presentation, service to name a few. While I don't know your uncle, the volcano fried rice he does sounds exactly like what that is, see if his customers would be willing to pay that same amount for the same fried rice in a food court.

2. "frozen slices of some fish in rice" - eh.....
Again, I don't know your uncle and where he works. That establishment could be serving fresh ingredients shipped overseas, or they could be serving non sashimi grade cuts from the food terminal. Whichever it is, it doesn't seem like you have a lot of respect or knowledge of cuisine and the art of food. Sushi is a culture to a lot of people and there's so much that goes into it. Also, why do people pay $30 to eat essentially a burger at a nice bar? Pay $40 for "pasta with sauce I can make from a can"?

Value is in the eye of the beholder, but also outside of raw material costs, and if you can't understand or get over that then it will be hard for someone like you to go out to anywhere in these times.

Lol.. I can't even.
wow you really btfo, i'd be so embarrassed if i was him
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2006
1362 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
LMAO this thread is so classic RFD I love it
I take pictures of stuff ; flickr
Jan 19, 2014
109 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
superock wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:54 am
LMAO this thread is so classic RFD I love it
Nah. Not classic enough. We don't have some blog-educated nutritionist evaluating the food yet.
Jan 19, 2014
109 posts
81 upvotes
Vancouver
So just to double check, this is for Toronto only, and doesn't apply to their Vancouver shops right?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
27083 posts
1737 upvotes
Winnipeg
Crytoz wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 6:55 pm
The Santouka is run by a full Japanese staff and I can vouch for its quality.
After living in Japan for a year and coming back, food just isn't the same in terms of quality.
You don't have to take my word, but I would recommend you to take a trip to Japan sometime and try their food. No regrets

Although their price is pretty expensive, it is Toronto and not Japan, so yea
same can be said for chinese food, you not going to get the same in toronto even though they claim to be
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Jul 30, 2009
257 posts
219 upvotes
HoneyMustardMiso wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:15 am
Nah. Not classic enough. We don't have some blog-educated nutritionist evaluating the food yet.
After which they will flip the food somehow into copies of Facebreaker.
"Wow, this thread is like a pen full of donkeys and then I went to that link and it was like going into a stripper room with no strippers." Acid_
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13750 posts
9269 upvotes
Toronto
HoneyMustardMiso wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:30 am
So just to double check, this is for Toronto only, and doesn't apply to their Vancouver shops right?
Right. Toronto only like the title suggests
lovesong wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:41 pm
Is this all day event or lunch only?
All day
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Dec 21, 2009
302 posts
54 upvotes
Ajax
sprung wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:43 pm
Right. Toronto only like the title suggests

All day
Thanks bro. Will try one after work.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1000 posts
482 upvotes
Currently.
Images
  • upload.jpg
Koodo: $25 Unlimited Talk/Text
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
Ebates: Lifetime Cash Back - $625.34
Tangerine: 2.4% interest for new chequing & savings accounts

OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Dec 16, 2007
611 posts
194 upvotes
TO
The ramen in Toronto is average at best. Definitely not worth the 10-15 bucks they are charging per bowl.

I smh head every time I read the reviews sites and see people raving about how good the ramen is in Toronto................