Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3922 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto

Holes in front yard

Hi, overnight when I am sleeping I keep on hearing some animals outside scratching against the siding of the house.

This morning I saw a lot of huge holes burrowed into the ground.

Do you know what animal is doing this and why?
Images
  • IMG_20191119_112758.jpg
6 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1783 posts
1062 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
Chipmunks.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3922 posts
354 upvotes
Toronto
Ok do you know why they are doing so? Are they seeking warmth in my grass? This happened in the summer as well. I thought it was grubs. This was a newly seeded lawn in mid October but has patches due to animals and birds feasting on the grass seed.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3294 posts
1129 upvotes
Toronto
NEMESIS_2008 wrote:
Nov 19th, 2019 1:03 pm
Ok do you know why they are doing so? Are they seeking warmth in my grass? This happened in the summer as well. I thought it was grubs. This was a newly seeded lawn in mid October but has patches due to animals and birds feasting on the grass seed.
Could be squirrels digging holes to either store their nuts & food, or finding previously stored ones to take out.
Lawns are like banks for these guys, where they make deposits and withdrawals.
May 13, 2007
122 posts
56 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
groundhog burrowing
raccoon eating grubs
skunk eating grubs
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1783 posts
1062 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@NEMESIS_2008 As noted other animals can also be responsible. That said here is some information on chipmunks:

Chipmunks dig extensive burrow systems directly underneath or next to natural or man made cover. They dig two types of burrows: shallow burrows in which they seek refuge while foraging during the day, and deeper, more complex burrows where they nest, store food and spend most of the winter months. Chipmunks rarely venture further than 1/3 mile from their burrows at any time.

http://www.havahart.com/chipmunk-facts
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"