• Jun 29th, 2005 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes

Holiday planned in Kootenays

Planning to travel in Kootenays again this year. Have been to Radium HotSprings last 3 years and Creston/Cranbrook 2 years ago. Looking for new and exciting things to do.
Would like to find U-pick for Creston area but they are impossible to find. Anyone know of one?
Anyone been to Ainsworth HotSprings? What's it like?
Planning to go 1st or 2nd week in August.
3 replies
Apr 18, 2004
621 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
Ainsworth is small but quite nice, not so crowded like Radium, they have a cool cave that you walk/wade through. Just north of there is Kaslo which is a quaint little town with a sternwheeler museum, then about 20-30 minute west of Kaslo is an old silver mining ghost town, I don't recall the name but it isn't hard to find. There are lots of things to do in the area and lots to see, pick up some guides or ask the locals I'm sure they'll let you know what's good.
Sep 1, 2004
399 posts
Yep, we've been to Ainsworth a bunch of times, it's definitely nice there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
rewardscanada wrote:Ainsworth is small but quite nice, not so crowded like Radium, they have a cool cave that you walk/wade through. Just north of there is Kaslo which is a quaint little town with a sternwheeler museum, then about 20-30 minute west of Kaslo is an old silver mining ghost town, I don't recall the name but it isn't hard to find. There are lots of things to do in the area and lots to see, pick up some guides or ask the locals I'm sure they'll let you know what's good.
The silver mine town is Sandon (sp?), just outside New Denver...in the late 1890's or early 1900's, the population in Sandon was like 5,000 which was at the time among the biggest towns in BC. Use to live for a time near New Denver. In the early 90's, the population in New Denver was around 600. Gorgeous scenery throughout the West Kootenays...among the best in BC IMO. If you time it right (there is a limited 2 week period in July or August when the snow is gone), you can go to the top of Mount Idaho....drive most of the way and hike the rest. On a clear day, you are suppose to see Idaho.

Dave

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)